Why Is Fang Interesting? (Dragon Nerds Only!)

37 replies to this topic

#1 Bigchunk1

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 480 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL USA

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:48 PM

Like many a Dragon enthusiast with money to burn, I was posed with a decision on which hero Dragon mech to get: Fang or Flame? Both have cool textures so no decision there. I did some homework and found out their loadouts but most importantly their hardpoint layout.

Fang has 3 energy hardpoints, two in the left arm and one in the left torso a missile hardpoint in the center and two ballistics in the right arm.

Flame has 4 energy hardpoints, two in each arm, missiles in the center and a ballistic in one of the side torsos.

Flame has a pretty unique layout for a Dragon. Unlike a standard dragon, it has energy hardpoints in both arms allowing it to pack high energy firepower without the risk or getting it all shot off a single arm. It is also the only Dragon that can mount an AC20.

Now Fang, well i'm sort of lost for why he's interesting. What's the difference between him and a DRG-1C? You lose an energy hardpoint and gain a second ballistic hardpoint in the right arm. Most ballistics are so large you have to be nuts to mount more than one in a single arm lest you get it shot off. Double ac5s runs heavy, maybe double ac2s... maybe, but if you really wanted such a loadout why not go with a 1N?

So how is it different from a DRG-1N? You lose a missile hardpoint in the center for an energy hardpoint in the right torso. That seems to me like a very small and uninteresting change. So what am I going to pack? Another medium laser? I find the option to carry two streak SRM2s or two LRM5s much more interesting.

So I conclude Flame is a totally unique variant of the dragon with many opportunities for wildly unique Dragon builds while Fang is a subtle and uninteresting mix between a 1N and a 1C. I have seen the mech Flame much more than Fang in the games I have played so I think this is more or less the group consensus. I ended up getting Flame as well and thoroughly enjoy my decision. I did consider getting both mechs, but what stopped me was this issue. Fang simply does not seem interesting enough to merit a purchase.

What do you all think? Anyone out there go with Fang?

#2 Bagua

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 94 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:34 AM

As a Dragon fanatic I bought FLAME and run it as a striker / skirmisher.

I do not see an obvious reason to buy Fang right now. Fang has the cool paint-job and the C-Bill boost but I am not sure if I want to pay real cash for it.

Here are two possible Fang builds under comprehension of the two ballistic hardpoints in a classic dragon layout:
  • FANG for recon / skirmisher role with 2x AC/5, LRM10, 2x ML,TAG and BAP
  • FANG for a fire support / skirmisher role with 2x AC/2, PPC, LRM10 and 2x ML
Both builds are not play tested but the lack of AC ammo could be an issue due to different playstyles.

I also tried to consider the second ballistic for a striker build, but right now I do not find a satisfying solution for me.

Edited by Bagua, 04 January 2013 - 01:58 AM.

#3 Doc Holliday

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 377 posts
  • Locationplaying some other game that's NOT PAY TO WIN

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:41 AM

I've seen a few people using Fang but I also cannot fathom why anyone would. I run Flame myself. He's like my DRG-1C only better.

#4 Wrenchfarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:45 AM

Yeah, the Fang didn't impress me much either. Seems like it should have been the one to get an extra shoulder ballistic hardpoint to mount the dreaded AC20 with. Flame could have had a extra missile pack to reinforce the whole "one bro is close range brawling and the other is a long range vulture" backstory (lol, paying attention to lore in game.) It would have been nice to see the Fang get some more subtle buff, like not suffering the torso twist penalty the Twins have, or moving slightly faster with the same type of engine. Alas, it looks like the clearly inferior of the two and not worth spending real dollars on.

#5 elde

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 77 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:00 AM

You get a cool paint job and a 30% C-Bill bonus. You don't get those with the DRG-1C. Whether it's worth it is totally up to you :)

#6 Spectre999

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 97 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:32 AM

Had a long hard look at all the dragons and Flame won, hands down. The deal breaker was the torso ballistic slot, for some reason, arm-mounted boomsticks just don't work for me.
Second deal breaker was only one missile slot, since the dragons are already disadvantaged in their LRM capability (2 critical slots in the center torso... genius), I prefer to pack dual SSRM if I can.

#7 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:08 AM

I bought it because I love red.

#8 Shalune

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 647 posts
  • LocationCombination Pizza Hut and Taco Bell

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:17 AM

View Postelde, on 04 January 2013 - 06:00 AM, said:

You get a cool paint job and a 30% C-Bill bonus. You don't get those with the DRG-1C. Whether it's worth it is totally up to you :)

This is my thinking. Hell if they put out a hero hunchback with a similar hardpoint layout to my current 4J with really only a paint job and cbill bonus difference I'd buy it day 1.

#9 De La Fresniere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:18 AM

I detest Dragons. Or at least I did, before I discovered the Flame... now I just hate every other Dragon, including the Fang.

Ballistics are heavy and fragile and awkward enough as it is, but in the arm they're even more awkward and fragile. A Cataphract can pull it off because it has one in each arm (easier to just kill it than disarm it), but Centurions and Dragons rarely can.

Flame has great hardpoints. Easily-aimed lasers spread in two locations for safety but that can still be aimed and fired all at once, with max accuracy. The torso-mounted Ballistic makes it less awkward to use and protects the fragile weapon, doubly so because of the Dragon's hard-to-hit side torso.

Fang is just one more crappy variant.

#10 Gigastrike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 704 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:25 AM

Fang is pretty much just a better DRG-1N, but still suffers from not really having any worthwhile builds that couldn't also be done with a 1C or 5N. If you buy a Fang, it's just for the skin and c-bill bonus.

#11 Doom 1

Rookie

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 8 posts
  • LocationArden, NC

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:41 AM

I have a FANG, and I have found while it is somewhat 'limited' in comparison to the FLAME, I have made it work for me. I use a Gauss Rifle, 3x MPL and an SRM 4. I find it works well and with DHS, EndoSteel and FF, and 320xl, it's maxed out. Dragons in general seem to work best in pairs, and combining the two versions is nice, but not necessary.

#12 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:56 AM

I don't own any Dragon but I played with the mechbay a bit and came up with THIS.

Twin LL, single LRM10, TAG and 2xMG. The XL300 you carry should be able to allow you to retreat out of LRM min range, as well as escape ECM lights (by diving into friendly pack). The 2xMG is purely for some lategame goof.

Edited by Helmstif, 04 January 2013 - 03:26 PM.

#13 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:05 AM

I run a build similar to kaydanthus, except I use an AC/10 instead of a Gauss. I find the time between shots for the Gauss to be too high. I tell you, the faster you can make these Dragons, the better they seem to work (imo of course).

#14 Novawrecker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:18 AM

View PostHelmstif, on 04 January 2013 - 09:56 AM, said:

I don't own any Dragon but I played with the mechbay a bit and came up with THIS.

Twin LL, single LRM10, TAG and 2xMG. The XL300 you carry should be able to allow you to retreat out of LRM min range, as well as escape ECM lights (by diving into friendly pack). The 2xMG is purely for some lategame good.

I've seen something similar along the lines of an LRM10 & x3 Large lasers. I am tempted to try it.

#15 Finestaut

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 169 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:15 PM

Flame is for the dragon enthusiast looking for something new and exciting. The shoulder mounted ballistic and 4 fully articulated energy hardpoints are unique, and unlike any other variant.

Fang is for the dragon newbie looking to try the chassis out for the first time. It's a decent compromise between the 1C and 1N, and offers more distinct builds than either. It's a pretty decent overview of what the chassis can do.

#16 Broceratops

• 1,903 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:23 PM

well its pretty much the same concept as the wang. why would you ever want the wang when you can have a centurion D, which has 2 extra missile slots and is pretty much the same otherwise (some twist differences, arms can't go up or down, but these are small and/or nerfs compared to the D variant)

some hero mechs are just ... different. not better. I would say the fang is *slightly* better because at least you have lasers on one arm and ballistic on the other, so you can group your weapons by arms better without having to worry about convergence and leading from a laser + a ballistic on the same arm.

#17 BR0WN_H0RN3T

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 701 posts
  • LocationElysium

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:32 PM

The Wang is a great mech. What other mechs can put on an AC20 and XL engine?

#18 Broceratops

• 1,903 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:37 PM

View PostBrown Hornet, on 06 January 2013 - 08:32 PM, said:

The Wang is a great mech. What other mechs can put on an AC20 and XL engine?

the raven and the cicada (not saying these are better at it than the wang ;))

for the wang, a 280 XL compared to a 250 std is arguably a downgrade given everyone is going to be shooting your RA/RT area and its not like you need the extra weight for weapons (only have 2 criticals for lasers anyway) or armor (already can have close to max). you'd just be getting a little bit of speed which in my book is not good enough reason to get a XL.

Edited by Broceratops, 06 January 2013 - 08:42 PM.

#19 Lynette Steffeld

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 240 posts
  • LocationSomewhere with irregular bus times

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:32 PM

The Flame and 1N are my favourite playstyles for Striker, Wingman, Harrier, and whatever you'd call an angry cardboard box on two legs and stubby arms that carry the occasional big stick.

To me... Good dragons are heard, not seen.

#20 Novawrecker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:22 PM

View PostBroceratops, on 06 January 2013 - 08:23 PM, said:

well its pretty much the same concept as the wang. why would you ever want the wang when you can have a centurion D, which has 2 extra missile slots and is pretty much the same otherwise (some twist differences, arms can't go up or down, but these are small and/or nerfs compared to the D variant)

Excpet that, due to the where the Flame has its hardpoints, it makes it the (currently) best hardpoint layout Dragon at the moment. Unlike that of the Wang which is outshunned by the D.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users