Need New Cataphract Builds

20 replies to this topic

#1 blacklp

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • 249 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:10 AM

Getting bored with my current CTF-3D.

I have a Gauss Murdermets so I'm not looking for a build with gauss in it.

I'm currently running my 3D with the following:

280 STD
15 DH
AC20
4 Tons AC20 ammo
4 MPL

Need something else, maybe which can utilize JJ?

#2 Gtbuck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 581 posts
  • LocationSoutheast US

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:15 AM

If you want something different from the other 2 you have, I like my 2x with 5LL, runs a little hot but with practice you learn when to chain and when to alpha. Last night I built it out with 2ppc in torso and 2 LL in the arms, didn't drop with it, but I'm tempted to try it.

#3 blacklp

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • 249 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:20 AM

I think i could fit the 2ppc 2LL in the 3D, in fact, i think i've done that already. PPCs are just so underwhelming. Id rather use LL in the torso for sniping and LPL in the arms. Would prolly put a hurt on someone quick, if i could manage the heat.

#4 Wrenchfarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:05 AM

I like a XL320, 4 jumpjets, 2xUAC5 (4 tons ammo) and 4xMLAS +DHS in my 3D. Very fun, very effective.

#5 bantapoo

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 98 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:06 AM

3xUAC5 chainfire muromets. create fear (and cockpit earthquake like shake) in your enemy.

#6 kilgor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 346 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:27 AM

I run a 1X, but the 3D could fit the same weapons.

Engine STD 210
15 DBL Heat Sinks
2 x PPC
1 x Gauss Rifle
3 tons Gauss ammo

It's slow, but I can blow out another Cataphract's Right Torso before they can bring get in range and bring me down with their AC/20 build.

#7 Jaynestown

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:38 AM

Use exactly the same build, but downgrade the MPLS to MLAS and add 4x Jump Jets. They have better reach, and more on par with your other weapon. They're more friendly on heat. Drop one ton of AC ammo and add more armor or an additional heat sink (I always lose the weapon before I run out of ammo - maybe I am picking those 21 shots too carefully).

I am not saying it is better, but it will definitely mix up the old build a little. It's also fun to try to work the jump jets in effectively. When I play this build on my 3D, I hop onto or over a few terrain pieces at the start of the match, on my way to wherever we are going. This is just to get a feel for what the CTF can actually do with them. This is also a fairly cheap swap, so just trying the build out won't set you back.

#8 Fuggles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 518 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:39 AM

I love my 3d, there's so many builds you can use and be effective with.

With an xl320, endo, DHS I run

4x LL 2jj, 19dhs
2 uac5s, 4 ml
2 lb10s, 4 ml
2 ac10s, 4ml

With an xl 280

2uac5s and 2 ppcs 14dhs

#9 blacklp

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • 249 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:29 AM

3xUAC5 is really not all that its cracked up to be IMO.
On my 3D i started with Gauss 4MLAS, didnt hit hard enough for me
Next AC20 4 MLAS, still not hard enough
Finally AC20 4MPL, beast.
Dont need JJ, AMS.
Running it right now LL and LPL 315xl as many DH as i can fit and 2 JJ, i miss the AC20 already...

#10 Bagheera

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationStrong and Pretty

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:05 PM

If you want a "different" 3D, try this. I make no claim that this is a good build, in fact it's pretty sub-optimal for so many reasons. And yet, in pugland, I've topped the dmg ranks with it in more matches than I can count. Its weirdly compelling. Against a team with even half an ounce of coordination this mech is definitely no good and not recommended. You'll just get your gun side ripped off and left to Zoidberg about pointlessly.

Against sprinkles? It's a laugh riot:

ctf-3D
416 armor (max torso/arms, 51 legs) <this might be a 432 build, in that case 59 legs>
270 STD engine
AC20
AC10
3 tons ammo each (iirc)
Endo/DHS, pretty sure just base 10 hs.

1 group per canon, though you'll be firing them together more often than not.

Yes, it is terrible build. Yes it is fun as hell. :huh:

Edited by Bagheera, 04 January 2013 - 12:06 PM.

#11 LionZoo

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 82 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:50 PM

This is my 3D build:

245 standard
ES
400 points of armor (max everywhere, except legs)
2 UAC/5s + 5 tons of ammo with CASE
2 LLs (one in each arm)
AMS + 1 ton of ammo
11 DHS

I use the UAC/5s as my primary weapon and switch to the LLs when they jam or I need pinpoint precision. This would probably work better with a 250, but I used what was available.

Edited by LionZoo, 04 January 2013 - 02:54 PM.

#12 Barghest Whelp

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • LocationIn a loophole

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:26 AM

Well, been playing around a bit and tried a few builds. I generally don't use JJ because imo they're not that useful on the current maps. Anyways, after a few trial and errors, here's what I came up with:

330 XL engine
ES
13 DHS
2x AC5 with four tons of ammo
2x ML (left and right arm)
2x LL (left and right torso)

I've reduced the armour on the legs and the arms in order to fit everything on there. It's not super heat efficient, but the trick is to use LL+AC5's at long range, and the ML+AC5's at short range. When in a pinch just use all four weapons. Slightly lower alpha than on most of my builds, but the sustained damage is pretty good, and it has good range.

The extra speed also gives it more survivability. You could go for a 320 XL instead and upgrade the armour, or add some more ammo. I generally don't run out of ammo with this build, so I'd go for extra armour.

The reason I went for the 330 XL is becase I already had it from my 2x LBX10 AC build, and didn't feel like shelling out another 5m for a new engine. Either way, I'm very happy with this build and can gladly recommend it.

#13 Jungle Rhino

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 579 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:52 PM

I have been running about in a poptart 3D with

280XL
2x PPC (L/RT)
Gauss (RA) w/3T ammo
2x Med Laser (L/RA)
4x JJ
Endo
15 DHS

Key thing is the PPCs in the torso slots are very high on the mech, so you can fire over a rise or while poptarting with minimum exposure. The gauss in the arm gives some flexibility and won't explode your XL while the 2ML are really just a backup. Takes a lot of getting used to but can be very effective.

In my 1X I have gone a totally different way with:

Std280
Large Pulse Laser (RA)
4x Med Laser
AC10 (RT) w/3T ammo
Endo
17DHS

Fairly brutal brawler - I group the LPL + 2ML in arms as one group, 2ML in torso as another (for alpha or when I have spare heat) and the AC10 as the third which gives some mid-long range capability. Very nice in a close quarters battle once fully XP'd up.

Finally my 2X I have got:

Std280
AC20 (RT) w/4T ammo
2x SSRM2 (LA) w/1T ammo
Large Laser (RA)
2x Med Laser (L/RT)
Endo
13x DHS

Runs pretty hot so the LL is typically reserved for med range or key aplhas. Primary weapon is the AC20 while I have the streaks/ML grouped to a single trigger because my feeble brain cannot manage more than 3 different weapon groups :P Good up close but also at ~500m where the LL/AC can be used. While the streaks have killed many a pesky light mech.

#14 TruePoindexter

• 2,605 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:36 AM

I have two build videos available for the 1X and Ilya

Hope that helps!

#15 Barghest Whelp

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • LocationIn a loophole

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:36 AM

View PostTruePoindexter, on 06 January 2013 - 12:36 AM, said:

I have two build videos available for the 1X and Ilya

Hope that helps!

Hey, my 1x build is very similar to your, but mine has a 320 standard and only 4 ml. Wanted to thank you for the Illya Muromets build. It really caters to my playstyle and works really well for me, and before that I was at a total loss on how to fit it, so thank you!

It was also where I got the inspiration for my latest 3d build listed above. You should check it out.

#16 Ryebear

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:20 PM

View PostJungle Rhino, on 05 January 2013 - 04:52 PM, said:

I have been running about in a poptart 3D with

280XL
2x PPC (L/RT)
Gauss (RA) w/3T ammo
2x Med Laser (L/RA)
4x JJ
Endo
15 DHS

Key thing is the PPCs in the torso slots are very high on the mech, so you can fire over a rise or while poptarting with minimum exposure. The gauss in the arm gives some flexibility and won't explode your XL while the 2ML are really just a backup. Takes a lot of getting used to but can be very effective.

How is this possible. With that loadout I cant get more than 1t Gauss ammo and 13 DHS.

Did you perhaps remove the 4 JJs?

#17 Rusty Shackleferd

• PipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 44 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:31 PM

I'm currently rolling the following build:

STD 300, DHS, ENDO
Max amor except some shaved off the legs
RA: MPL
LA: MPL
LT: UAC5
RT: PPC
RL: 2x Jump Jets
LL: 2x Jump Jets
CT: 2x UAC5 ammo
HD: 1x UAC5 ammo

Basically you use the UAC5 and the PPC at range, dmg is the same as a gauss rifle, and time your shots afterwards with the UAC5 until the PPC recharges. The jump jets get you that extra maneuverability and turning speed to make your MPL more effective. MPL and UAC5 for close range after the enemies are soften up.

#18 Jungle Rhino

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 579 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:56 AM

View PostRyebear, on 06 January 2013 - 06:20 PM, said:

How is this possible. With that loadout I cant get more than 1t Gauss ammo and 13 DHS.

Did you perhaps remove the 4 JJs?

Aha - you are right, I misremembered. My apologies I only have 13DHS on the 3D.

13DHS
368 Armour

Definitely have the JJ though!! :)

#19 TruePoindexter

• 2,605 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:23 AM

View PostBarghest Whelp, on 06 January 2013 - 03:36 AM, said:

Hey, my 1x build is very similar to your, but mine has a 320 standard and only 4 ml. Wanted to thank you for the Illya Muromets build. It really caters to my playstyle and works really well for me, and before that I was at a total loss on how to fit it, so thank you!

It was also where I got the inspiration for my latest 3d build listed above. You should check it out.

Glad it's working for you! Your 3D sounds interesting - I'll need to try it out some time. Mine is still near stock with 2x UAC5 and 4x ML.

#20 Aftenbar

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:42 PM

Thanks for the builds Truepoindexter ;). Knew I wanted a new mech heavy or assault and couldn't decide until I saw the 1X you put up. I got a decent amount of kills with it first day. I swapped the grouping up a bit cause I wasn't liking the chain fire (seemed too slow) but other than that loving the build!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users