Artemis - Worth It?

10 replies to this topic

#1 DerHuhnTeufel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:56 PM

So I have a catapult C-4 and I've been debating on Artemis launchers - are they worth using?

It seems like they'd let you kill with fewer missiles, but the extra weight means less armor / ammo. So what are your thoughts, you who have used them? Are they worth using on an LRM boat? Or am I better off devoting that space to more armor and better energy weapons?

#2 Dormax

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 97 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:50 AM

I think it depends on play style. I fins that arti works well enough when I have line of sight and shorter range (especially combined with a TAG to pierce through the ECM bubbles). However, that's just the "feel" I get.

For SRMs, I find a difference. I have 2 mechs with SRMs, one with arti and one without. There's a definite difference in the way each plays and what the "prime targets" are with them. I'd imagine that LRMs would be much the same.

#3 Dirus Nigh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:36 PM

Artemis is very much worth it if you have SRMs. You can see the difference in missile spread.

It does have an effect on LRMs. Because of the added weight at crit slot I use it on LRM15s and 10s. LRM20s are to big for my tastes as it is.

#4 Selfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationFlorida.

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:17 PM

I prefer it on LRM boats. If you pair it with TAG you'll get some rather serious shots on people with direct fire. I don't like it as much on brawlers using SRMs. You usually use SRMs to gain high damage for as little weight as possible. It frees up room for heavier direct fire weapons/etc. On a boomcat or a mech entirely devoted to its SRMs I'd say go for it.

#5 DerHuhnTeufel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:08 AM

I was planning on using it on a catapult C-4 with 2x LRM 15 and 2x LRM 1, does TAG really help a lot? I've used it on my commando and it doesn't seem to do jack about ECM.

#6 Gulinborsti

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 185 posts
  • LocationVienna/Austria

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:19 AM

Artemis is worth the extra tons and crit spaces, just make sure you fire LRMs with direct line of sight to the target whenever possible.
TAG got it's benefits but I won't waste an energy hard point on a CPLT-C4, you might want to carry 2 medium lasers there to have at least anything to fight of those pesky 3L Ravens.

My favorite mech is the C4 with:

2xLRM15 (Artemis)
2xStreak2
2xMedium Laser

With XL 300 engine it is very agile, too. Doesn't get the most kills, but is a fun and efficient mech once you find out how to play it.

#7 Snib

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:38 AM

View PostDerHuhnTeufel, on 02 January 2013 - 01:08 AM, said:

I was planning on using it on a catapult C-4 with 2x LRM 15 and 2x LRM 1, does TAG really help a lot? I've used it on my commando and it doesn't seem to do jack about ECM.

Works fine against ECM as long as you're not in an enemy ECM bubble yourself. Doesn't stack with Artemis though.

View PostGulinborsti, on 02 January 2013 - 01:19 AM, said:

My favorite mech is the C4 with:

2xLRM15 (Artemis)
2xStreak2
2xMedium Laser

Should you feel more like brawling, I'm enjoying this loadout:

4 x SRM6 w/ Artemis
2 x MPL

With Artemis the spread is so tight that you can target specific sections (for headshots you need to be really close) or one-shot lights if you guess the lag right.

#8 Wrenchfarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:52 AM

So I did something stupid the other day.

Let it be known that I cannot wait for the Trebuchet. Like literally, I couldn't. I've been playing with a CN9-AL secondary build but I get tired of swapping equipment around... So I bought a SECOND CN9-AL and fitted it into a ghetto Trebuchet.

ENDO
DHS
ARTEMIS
250 XL engine (I know, I know, a damn sin on a Cent but it is the only way to fit on the extra heavy missiles)
2x LRM15+Artemis in LT
4 tons LRM+artemis Ammo in legs
2xMLAS in CT
MLAS+TAG in RA
320 armor

It's a beast. TAG and Artemis result in very fast locks followed by tight groupings. I can't say whether the grouping is any tighter than just Artemis on its own would provide (I have a feeling it isn't) but the lighting fast locks are much appreciated. Nobody expects a serious LRM payload off a medium chassis. You move fast and can lay down withering LRM support just behind the front line.

The XL engine however is a serious liability. I hate dying to side torso damage in a Cent, feels dirty.

You can do a similar build without Artemis or the XL engine with an LRM15+LRM5 and only 3 tons of ammo. It's good and a little more durable, but you don't get that hard rain effect of the 30+artemis LRMs crushing down on a Stalker. I would say that Artemis does make a noticeable difference in LRM effectiveness, but the weight and cost sure make you think twice about it.

#9 Buckminster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:23 AM

Especially now that rearm costs are gone, I love the Artemis.

I run it on two Cats, a C1 with 2 LRM15s and an A1 with 3 SRM6 and 3 SSRM2. The C1 Cat is less useful now with ECM (I primarily pug so it's harder to depend on counter-ECM and TAG), but the 3 SRM6s on the A1 are brutal. They are all in the left arm, and when you get up close and personal it dumps all of those missiles into a very tight group. Even at maximum range I find that a lot more of the missiles hit the target than they did before Artemis.

#10 JayVrb

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 507 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:36 AM

I've got a Cat w/ the following and I notice a difference w/ Artemis. I'm curious as to everyone else's experience too though, may just spend that extra 2 tons on pulse lasers instead of beams.

2x LRM15+Artemis
2x SSRM2
2x Medium Lasers

Edited by Vrbas, 04 January 2013 - 11:36 AM.

#11 Selfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationFlorida.

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:24 PM

Currently I use a 5S with 2x AMS (2 ton), 4x ALRM 15 (7 ton), 3-5 SLas, TAG, DHS, XL300. The results are pretty good when you can get Artemis and TAG shots to coincide, and the lock time is just sexy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users