A list of current HOTAS / Joystick options

26 replies to this topic

#21 Pht

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:39 AM

View PostScar, on 12 June 2012 - 11:59 PM, said:

Actually, the best rudder pedals - it's a Russian VKB. Virtually, they're eternal, because they're made of steel, and have incredible accuracy, due to non-contact magnetic sensors, huge base and very comfortable pedals. The price is pretty high, but it's worth of it.

They look as if they don't tilt left/right or swivel.

Believe it or not, 'mech pedals do have functions beyond just being depressed, usually accessed for more advanced manuevers, such as side-stepping.

#22 TheZombi

• PipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 28 posts
  • LocationMississauga, ON Canada

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:12 PM

I use a Logitech G940 currently, I did try the hotas Warthog which was a decent stick but I took it back in favour of the logitech, 900 flying hours on it so far and not one problem. Most of the guys I fly with online have the Saiteks because they are available off the shelf at some stores but they kinda suck and go jumpy. You can not go wrong with the CH sticks those are virtually unchanged from the 80's when they started making them, nice feel and very reliable.

#23 Curbstomper

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 33 posts
  • LocationThe dark places at the back of your Mind.

Posted 22 July 2012 - 09:11 PM

I was actually having issues with finding a suitable controller. I was always used to keyboard/mouse, but I had issues with fps lag with more than 1 mouse, even after turning down polling. Price I pay for having a bunch of cheap generic mouses laying around :(. I found a nice little guide here to make a PS3 controller work, just tested it with a wired ps3 controller and its working great. The guide shows how to attach a bluetooth wireless controller, just like anyone should have with their ps3. Here's the link:

I've found that the PS3 controller has almost the perfect number of buttons, with 2 joysticks for advanced maneuvering. Involves a bit of setup, to get the buttons and axis' set up, but now it feels very intuitive to me, even without much console gaming experience. With a keyboard to access any missing functions, or chat, I think its a great alternative to keyboard/mouse, without buying new hardware for those that already have ps3 but no joystick.

Edited by Curbstomper, 22 July 2012 - 09:19 PM.

#24 Uri Brauer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • LocationBristol, UK

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:14 PM

View Postmwhighlander, on 12 June 2012 - 04:41 PM, said:

Anyone got an idea for a good Dual Joystick Setup? (not HOTAS, dual stick)

Link

#25 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:45 AM

View PostPht, on 12 June 2012 - 08:05 PM, said:

Saw this, tried it with my logitech 3d pro that I got, fixed it for ... a little while. Than it went right back to it.

The potentiometers in that stick are crap, logitech knows it, they won't fix it, and they don't care how many people complain.

Best of luck to anyone buying this stick or who has one.

That's interesting because I have been using a Logitech 'Force' 3-D Pro for about 4 years now and it seems almost as accurate as my last Sidewinder 2. The Profiler has to be set for each game, but all I do is refresh (re-apply the settings) it each time I boot-up a game and it is rock solid. I don't think the force feedback results in a better built stick, but it was only $44 bucks so, like $10 for FF? Deal.

#26 Lordspawn

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:59 PM

View PostLt muffins, on 12 June 2012 - 03:32 PM, said:

I am using the Cyborg F.L.Y. 5 Flight-stick by Madcatz only $59.99 (not including shipping)

Posted Image

(wasn't paying attention and accidentally posted the fly9. same controller just that it was made for console not pc. what i get for posting while buzzed)

I to have the F.L.Y 5 but I seem to not be able to configure it would anyone be able to help me out

#27 evilC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:30 AM

The HOTAS X is a 4-axis controller. It has a rudder rocker on the underside of the throttle:
Posted Image
Also, the stick twists as well - the switch in the picture selects between the rudder on the throttle or stick twist.
It is also AKA the Thrustmaster Top Gun Afterburner II

Quite crappy innards, but reasonably unique in having the rudder control and it really works rather well for MWO. Also worth noting that the stick and throttle separate, so you can use the throttle with a mouse without having to have the stick part in front of you (but it does need to be plugged in)
However the rudder will go quite quickly and provide inaccurate results.
I am thinking of modding mine to Hall Sensors as I really can find little else that compares to the layout of the throttle unit.

Also, an XBOX controller can work OK as a left-hand device. I have code here that converts an xbox controller into a relative throttle plus absolute rudder, and fixes a number of other issues with using them for MWO.

The logitech G13 keyboard is also not bad as a left-hand device, although you will need to mod the thumbstick (as in the physical form, not a mechanical or electronic mod) to make it work well as the stock one is too pointy.

Edited by evilC, 19 July 2013 - 09:33 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users