Only 2 Variants For Elites

9 replies to this topic

#1 Coole

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:40 AM

Had an idea. I know a lot of people have complained about how its aggravating that they have to purchase 3 variants of a mech to unlock elite and master skills. So I thought what if it could be as easy as 1-2-3. We already only need 1 variant for basic skills. A lot of people usually want only elite skills for their mechs, so why no just make elite skill unlocked with 2 variants. Its still an extra investment in time and energy, but not as much. Master, I feel, should remain at three variants.

And now I order you all to discuss.

#2 Scandinavian Jawbreaker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,251 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationFinland

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:01 AM

You can always buy premium time to get more XP and C-Bills. Free to play.

Edited by IV Amen, 05 January 2013 - 05:01 AM.

#3 PiemasterXL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 556 posts
  • LocationThe deep-south, cookin' Moonshine.

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:13 AM

And buy MC to transfer your mech xp into GXP, so you can use it to buy the xp unlocks for the mechs you dont want to play.

#4 Darwins Dog

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:51 AM

This seems pretty reasonable to me. Like you said, most people just want the elite skills. It takes a while before there's even an issue with needing extra modules.

I've always thought is was a little backwards that you needed 3 of the same chassis for elite, but 3 of the same weight class for master. Seems to me it should be the other way around, that your experience with heavy mechs in general can make you an elite pilot, but in order to master the catapult a1, you need to know the catapult variants.

#5 Bagheera

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationStrong and Pretty

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:08 AM

View PostDarwins Dog, on 05 January 2013 - 06:51 AM, said:

I've always thought is was a little backwards that you needed 3 of the same chassis for elite, but 3 of the same weight class for master. Seems to me it should be the other way around, that your experience with heavy mechs in general can make you an elite pilot, but in order to master the catapult a1, you need to know the catapult variants.

The 3 you use to unlock elite will also unlock master. You don't necessarily have to have multiple chassis in the same weight class. I have mastered all my Hunchies and CTFs, and they are my only medium and heavy mechs respectively.

#6 Darwins Dog

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:23 AM

View PostBagheera, on 05 January 2013 - 07:08 AM, said:

The 3 you use to unlock elite will also unlock master. You don't necessarily have to have multiple chassis in the same weight class. I have mastered all my Hunchies and CTFs, and they are my only medium and heavy mechs respectively.

You're totally right. I should have been more clear. I think it would make more sense if you could get elite if you get the basics in 3 of the same weight class (1 hunchback, 1 cicada, and 1 centurion for example), but in order to master the hunchback, you need to have elite in 3 variants of the hunchback. In other words you need to get more specialized in order to advance farther along the trees.

#7 mrDUDE

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 59 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:14 PM

I would vote no to this idea.
No need to make an easy grind even easier.

#8 Sennin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 459 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:38 PM

I play about 20 hours a week. I have a family and a job that take up most of my time and yet I still have managed to Master 18 of 22 battlemechs that I own. I have made no purchases other than the Muromets, Flame, and 28 Mech Bays using the founders account I bought to support the game in closed beta. Does it get irritating to grind out all this? Sometimes. But premium time and Hero bonuses help tremendously. If you don't want to spend the money for premium time then dont but know you will always suffer a disadvantage and that is your choice. I, like many others, am proof it is not that difficult and it is my "opinion" this game does not need to be made any easier. It has already suffered far too much from the "I want something for less or nothing" crowds. This game may be "Free to play" but it is not free to operate and it needs a source of revenue to survive. If you are unwilling to provide that revenue then you are unwilling to support the game as a whole so keep on playing but dont bother complaining. :)

#9 Xervitus

• PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:12 PM

+1 No

#10 HTTP Error 400

• PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:32 PM

View PostSennin, on 05 January 2013 - 01:38 PM, said:

I play about 20 hours a week. I have a family and a job that take up most of my time and yet I still have managed to Master 18 of 22 battlemechs that I own. I have made no purchases other than the Muromets, Flame, and 28 Mech Bays using the founders account I bought to support the game in closed beta. Does it get irritating to grind out all this? Sometimes. But premium time and Hero bonuses help tremendously. If you don't want to spend the money for premium time then dont but know you will always suffer a disadvantage and that is your choice. I, like many others, am proof it is not that difficult and it is my "opinion" this game does not need to be made any easier. It has already suffered far too much from the "I want something for less or nothing" crowds. This game may be "Free to play" but it is not free to operate and it needs a source of revenue to survive. If you are unwilling to provide that revenue then you are unwilling to support the game as a whole so keep on playing but dont bother complaining. :P

Then, isn't it a pity that games like this only survive when lots of players each spend a little bit of cash, because when they rely on a small number of players spending a lot, they won't get sufficient revenue and the game will fail. What you are saying is that they claim the game is a FtP, but it actually is a PtP.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users