5 replies to this topic

#1 Khaze

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 80 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:25 AM

Hey,

I've been looking around the forums quite a bit, but I just can't make up my mind. So I thought I'd take the "easy" way out and see if someone can convince me.

The first Cataphract I bought was the CTF-2X - which I love and plan on going back after I unlock Elite efficiencies. That thing was a monster as far as I'm concerned, and my build was far from optimal.

Then I bought the CTF-4X and have been running with quad AC/5's ever since. I like it. Those things pack a punch, but it is a bit of a one-trick pony.

The CTF-1X is tempting me, since I haven't really had a chance to play something with so many lasers. I've seen people run 5xLL with it and I wouldn't mind having that sort of range for a change.

But then there's the Ilya. I'd need to invest in more MC to get it, but it does have that permanent C-Bill boost, which would come in handy for sure... the hardpoints aren't that bad, either.

The CTF-3D seems like a half-way point between the Ilya and the CTF-1X. I'm mainly looking for something entirely different to play, and while the CTF-3D doesn't look bad by any means, it just looks too similar to what I've already played. Of course, it has the jumpjets, which could come in handy, but I'm not convinced...

Help?

Edited by Khaze, 05 January 2013 - 06:04 AM.

#2 Sandra McCrow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 115 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:19 AM

Well, this depends on what you like and need more. CTF-IM has one simple and extremely effective fit - DualGauss mounted in hands. I played around it a bit trying to make something different from 2x that I love, and this appeared to be most effective.
With regards to 1X and 3D - I've seen couple good LL based fits for 3D - like 4LL and full pack of JJs. 1X on the contrary is NOT playable with 5 energy slots occupied by large sizes. 4LLs may be, any PPC combinations with med pulses may do good. But overall CTF-1X feels wee bit like mini Awesome and as single-way a machine as 4X.

#3 elde

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 77 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:37 AM

I was almost in the same situation. I bought the Ilya after the first mech I bought, A1, was made almost unplayable by the EMC patch a day after I had bought it. I thought that if everything else failed, I would have a mech with a slightly better income than normal mechs. Turned out I really, really liked the CTF-IM.

Next CTF I got was the 2X. A few missile tubes for SRM4/6 or SSRM2 were great for brawling or getting rid of fast light mechs, as long as ECM wasn't involved.

The choice was between 1X and 3D next, since 4X is quite close to Ilya, and I didn't want to pilot something with a max engine of 255. 3D has an XL-engine, which has to be removed since the side torsos are just screaming to be hit on a CTF. Because of that, it's price will be higher than the 1X. Trading one ballistic hadpoint to a beam hardpoint wasn't that much of an issue. for me, since I prefer beam weapons anyway.Jumpjets on 3D might not get you far upwards, but would let you turn faster.

I've had the 1X for a day now, and while I like it, the basic configuration without DHS is too hot. Especially with too many large lasers or PPC's.

#4 Tremendous Upside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 738 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:54 AM

The CTF-1X is probably my favorite variant. It's more "energy-based", but enough so that it can really build nicely around its 1 ballistic hard point. I've run mine with 5xMLs + AC20 and liked it. I also run mine with 2LL (in RA), 3ML + LB-10X (w/XL325), and that's been very effective.

My problem with the 3D (and why it's my least favorite), comes down to the JJ's. They've been gimped so badly they're not worth the weight anymore. It's 4 tons you won't have in your load out... Like running a 66 ton CTF.

#5 Sandra McCrow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 115 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:58 AM

As noted - current state of JJs mainly implies it's usage for faster turns, not for real leaping in the sky...

#6 Distratus

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:48 PM

I just picked up the Muromets, since I already have elite from having the 1X, 2X, and 4X. I'm still playing around with my Muromets, so far have 2xGauss with MLasers and have scored pretty highly on a regular basis.

Originally my favorite was the 1X with 4 LL, or AC20 with MLasers. Then eventually I picked up my X2, tossed in a XL 320 with endo and DBL heat sinks, 1 Gauss, 3 MLasers, Anti-missile, and 2xSRM6+Artemis (chained). It has great heat management, it's fast, and packs a punch.

I'd say get either the 1X if you feeling like being more energy based, or the Muromets if you feel like having ballistics and if you don't mind spending money.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users