Benefits Of Xl Engines?

7 replies to this topic

#1 king0pa1n

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:55 PM

If my understanding is correct, XL Engines occupy space in the side torso's, taking up more free space in favor of less tonnage at a price, similar to Endo Steel internal structure or Double Heat Sinks. I also understand that because of an XL Engine, if one of your side torso's go out your BattleMech is now killed. Does the benefit of the XL Engine freeing up tonnage outweigh the way that your Mech is now more easily killed (if one of your side torso's go out)?

#2 Distratus

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:58 PM

Depends I guess, more of a chance to die because of the XL engine expanding into the side torsos, but you can free up a decent amount of room to upgrade your weaponry, armor, etc. It, in effect, turns you more into a glass cannon. Can't take much damage anymore, at least in your torso areas, but depending on your build you can fit more powerful weapons into it... or get more speed with a larger XL engine.

I wouldn't say it's better or worse, it just depends on what you want to do with your mech.

#3 aelfkins

• PipPipPip
  • Kavellrist
  • Kavellrist
  • 99 posts
  • LocationNY/NJ

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:59 PM

It's personal preference.
An XL allows you to put in a bigger engine, so you can go faster, to avoid more damage. But at the same time it makes it so you can soak up less damage.
It's a trade off depending on which play style you like best.

#4 Stingz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • Location*SIGNAL LOST*

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:01 PM

View Postking0pa1n, on 05 January 2013 - 04:55 PM, said:

If my understanding is correct, XL Engines occupy space in the side torso's, taking up more free space in favor of less tonnage at a price, similar to Endo Steel internal structure or Double Heat Sinks. I also understand that because of an XL Engine, if one of your side torso's go out your BattleMech is now killed. Does the benefit of the XL Engine freeing up tonnage outweigh the way that your Mech is now more easily killed (if one of your side torso's go out)?

Light mechs use XL engines often, since they need the extra tons the most. Side-torso destruction is a non-issue at high speeds(+100 k/ph).

Assault mechs really shouldn't use XL engines, since they have so much armor, and so little speed.

[Clan XL engines only take up 2 slots per torso, so both sides need to be wrecked.]

Edited by Stingz, 05 January 2013 - 05:02 PM.

#5 ICEFANG13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:01 PM

Benefits? Psh, I have trouble finding non-assault builds that should use standard engines...

XL Engines are much more expensive (around 4-5 times as much) as a STD, they also cost more to maintain and fix (at this time, this is not true, as there is no repair bills). They weigh less, usually around half as much, and take up twice as many slots. However, half of them (3 and 3) are placed in the shoulders, so if you lose a shoulder with an XL, you die.

In my experience, and I don't play assaults, I haven't found a build that uses a STD engine well. I prefer light mechs (which almost always have XL engines), but the weight saved, and extra speed that the engine does (NOTE, a STD 300 and an XL 300 do the same speed, but because the XL is so much lighter, its a more realistic goal, so generally an XL mech moves faster, and has more left over weight), has always been worth it for me.

Assaults are balanced mostly by slots, so they need those slots that the XL takes, they also tend to take more damage (tank it more), so XLs are generally not suggested for assault mechs, except for the ones that have to get really close to do damage.

#6 Distratus

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

I tend to lean with XL engines in light mechs to increase their speed. With heavy mechs, I tend to not use XL engines unless I'm aiming at more damage over survivability.

#7 De La Fresniere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:06 PM

It all depends on the mech and what you're gonna do with it.

Light mechs usually equip large Engines because they use speed to avoid damage. Since they don't get hit much, an XL Engine is not a huge vulnerability and, since the Engines are big, it makes a *huge* difference in what else they can get on the mech. Nearly all Light mechs use XL Engines.

Brawlers, slow Assaults? Generally not a good idea.

Ranged mechs can often use an XL Engine because they won't be taking much direct fire and should focus most of their weight on offensive power.

Dragons usually use XL Engines because their side torsoes are hard to hit and they need the weight for weapons.

Just use your best judgement. Sometimes XL Engines make a lot of sense, sometimes they just plain don't.

#8 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:13 PM

About the only mechs that can "safely" pull off XL engines above the 35 ton mark are Cicadas, Dragons, and Catapults. The Cicada can do it because of the raw speed and smallish target it presents, the Dragon and Catapult because they have relatively hard to hit side torsos, making side torso loss less likely then center torso loss anyways. With the other mechs, you run into a real risk vs reward aspect as their side torsos are far easier to aim for and hit (and it is usually pretty obvious they are running XL by watching their movement speed).

Mechs using an XL engine at and above the 45 ton mark are better off using hit and run style tactics, or using their speed to outmaneuver an enemy's ability to track them. All should try to spread damage across all the mech's armor facings to increase the time it takes to cause an armor breach, let alone receive a ruptured internal.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users