comuication

15 replies to this topic

#1 Pogmahoe

Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:03 PM

I have played many RPGs and comunication is key. I have also been a batletech/meckwarrior fan from the beginning ...by beginning i mean the board game ( with figures) and the game "mechwarrior" released in 1989 as well as "battletech, The crescent Hawk's revenge" released in 1990. But i digress...my question is , will there be a in game chat system like "Vent"? Frankle i dont see the game working well with out something like this . I could see something like at log in to a game you getting a call sign ( scout 1) if your in a scout lance with those 4 ppl in a main chat and "tab" over to the other chanles if your in a bigger group ( 12 ppl chating about the fight at hand might be a bit much).

#2 Toothman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 557 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:05 PM

At the moment no. You'll have to use your own vent/TS/Xfire. May be added later if they think enough people would use it.

#3 Aelos03

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts
  • LocationSerbia

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:06 PM

View PostPogmahoe, on 23 May 2012 - 07:03 PM, said:

I have played many RPGs and comunication is key. I have also been a batletech/meckwarrior fan from the beginning ...by beginning i mean the board game ( with figures) and the game "mechwarrior" released in 1989 as well as "battletech, The crescent Hawk's revenge" released in 1990. But i digress...my question is , will there be a in game chat system like "Vent"? Frankle i dont see the game working well with out something like this . I could see something like at log in to a game you getting a call sign ( scout 1) if your in a scout lance with those 4 ppl in a main chat and "tab" over to the other chanles if your in a bigger group ( 12 ppl chating about the fight at hand might be a bit much).

I hope this game will have lance voice chat but of course theres no way we will see it in open beta

#4 Insidious Johnson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,417 posts
  • Location"This is Johnson, I'm cored"

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:06 PM

Trendkill.... must be.

#5 Captain Miller

• PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:09 PM

Well, as Toothman said, no, but skype has always worked for me and my friends with every game we play. The voice is clear, and very understandable, the call requires VERY little bandwidth, and it's free. Until they come up with a voice chat with plugins for team and all talk, comparable to the source engines voice chat, I see no in game voice chat even necessary.

#6 Aelos03

• 1,137 posts
  • LocationSerbia

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:12 PM

View PostCaptain Miller, on 23 May 2012 - 07:09 PM, said:

Well, as Toothman said, no, but skype has always worked for me and my friends with every game we play. The voice is clear, and very understandable, the call requires VERY little bandwidth, and it's free. Until they come up with a voice chat with plugins for team and all talk, comparable to the source engines voice chat, I see no in game voice chat even necessary.

its good for slow games and 1-2 friend but for everything else Ts3 is a lot better.

#7 Daiichidoku

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:13 PM

with so many comms out there (vent, ts3, et al) id rather devs not use time and effort where it is needed least

all in-game comms have sucked, and always will anyhow

#8 Aelos03

• 1,137 posts
  • LocationSerbia

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:16 PM

View PostDaiichidoku, on 23 May 2012 - 07:13 PM, said:

with so many comms out there (vent, ts3, et al) id rather devs not use time and effort where it is needed least

well i find dota 2 voice chat useful and fun there is always someone to talk to

#9 pursang

• 1,877 posts
  • LocationSurrey BC, Canada

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:17 PM

Agreed.

#10 Rejarial Galatan

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,312 posts
  • LocationOutter Periphery

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:23 PM

View Postpursang, on 23 May 2012 - 07:17 PM, said:

Agreed.

when done sloppy like most games have done, yes, they suck, but, if a developer puts REAL thought into them, they can be better than a 3rd party chat program. you must remember a key thing: Always has, does NOT mean: Always WILL.

#11 Tryg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 160 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:26 PM

The problem I find in games that leave out voice chat features (or put in uselessly specific ones such as BF3's pathetic excuse for a voice system), is that in a public match, exchanging voice system information can become a rather big headache, especially for folks who don't use voice. With an in-game, you can still communicate /at/ them which if you're taking a leadership role, helps a ton.

If you've got a 12 man team ready to go every time, any of the third party voice systems are excellent, but if you're going to be picking up any lone wolf players (or players drawn at random from a house unit) they won't necessarily be in your group comm channel. Especially in instances where players don't utilize the same programs. Teamspeak for example...hates my computer. Always a static-filled mess whenever I install it, so I use skype / Vent / or Mumble as alternatives (depending on the game.) If I were to be in a match where everyone's using TS, I'd be unable to send or recieve voice comms, hampering my viability as a productive team member.

#12 Rejarial Galatan

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,312 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:30 PM

see, Tryg here makes a good point, also shows why i HATE 3rd party VOIPs. Sometimes its just not worth the effort to get a group of people onto any of those. Given that it seems matches are 20 minutes, based on the videos, its not worth the time/effort to exchange info for those programs, or if you DONT have them, dl then get the info. Which, sadly leaves those of us who are lone wolves <by having few friends who have the time/desire to play this game that is> up that creek w/out a paddle.

#13 LJim

• PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationPerth, Western Australia

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:41 PM

Mainly would be an issue if you get some lonewolves join in (not fielding a full side), you would want to be able to communicate with them - chat is ok, but voice would be better...

#14 Rejarial Galatan

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,312 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:43 PM

my unit, is 2, (two) members deep. myself and basically my brother <not real brother, best friend for more than 2 decades> we are gonna be lone wolfing it under the kurita banner until clans come, then over there.

so, i like him am SOL on voice comms until they give us an ingame voip

#15 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:49 PM

I'll say it. The title, topic, and first post made me wonder if this was a troll.

#16 Rejarial Galatan

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,312 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:50 PM

i think someones mind is running faster than the fingers can keep up, as far as the title goes.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users