Help How Do I Counter/kill Light Mechs?!

32 replies to this topic

#21 liku

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:22 PM

View PostRegrets, on 13 January 2013 - 05:19 PM, said:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say walk backwards will not work versus skilled light pilot. He will just stop and walk backwards faster than you. :angry:

:) id really like they do that :lol: that way the gap between 180m will fill faster

#22 TheCrazySteve

• PipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 78 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:47 PM

Streaks and pulse lasers.
LRMS + tag seem to do decent also.

Use reverse.

#23 t0ast

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationKansas City

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:58 PM

View PostRegrets, on 13 January 2013 - 05:19 PM, said:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say walk backwards will not work versus skilled light pilot. He will just stop and walk backwards faster than you. :)

Light mechs may be able to walk backwards faster, but in this scenario, they have to put it towards MUCH more lateral movement if the heavy mech is halfway smart about turning/twisting while reversing. It can be kept up for a little while by a talented light mech pilot with a large enough speed difference in their favor, but one wrong "read" on the opponent or terrain they're backing over can still quickly lead to trouble.

Edited by t0ast, 14 January 2013 - 12:59 PM.

#24 Audd

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:27 PM

Turn while going in reverse. Light circles as normal but you'll be able to keep pace with them.
Any time you fall behind, stop, center torso, twist to the direction they'll appear from and begin tracking them again.

Do not alpha strike. 1 missed "shot" is a miss for all weapon systems. Fire lasers, ballistics, and SRMs separately. They all have different lead times.

SRMs and LB-10x are best weapons against lights, best being easiest to hit with.
Pulse lasers calculate damage differently than regular lasers, so a quick touch by pulses delivers more damage than a sweep from the regular beam.

Aim for the legs. You can weaken the torso, but the light can just reverse the circle and expose the stronger side to you. But legs are 360 same location - a hit to the right leg rear is the same location as right leg front/left/right. Besides, legging a light is just great. You and him both know he's dead. Now you can toy with him. (I once left a light like that. I went behind a building like I was leaving, counted to 10, came back and shot him.)

If you see a teammate being harassed, watch the pattern of the light. At some point they are going no further to your left/right. that's when it's easiest to hit them.

Light pilots tend to set up a "race track" once they pick a targets. They fall into a predictable pattern. Watch for that and aim where you know they're going to be.

#25 Stingz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • Location*SIGNAL LOST*

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:38 PM

Turning the entire mech can help with torso weapons, nudges enough to catch faster mechs.

#26 juxstapo

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts
  • Locationmy Tier is bigger than yours.

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:00 PM

View PostEisenhorne, on 10 January 2013 - 08:44 AM, said:

The alpha from a PPC stalker isn't so impossible. I run a 4 PPC stalker (with 21 double heatsinks, its actually a viable sniper build) and I bullseye lights often with an alpha strike. Granted, it won't core most lights in a single volley, or even take out their legs all the way, if they have been softened up a bit first its often a clean way to kill it as it runs away.

;) think I've been on the receiving end of that build a time or two.

#27 Kage Supreme

Rookie

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:02 PM

Posted Image

#28 Devil Fox

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationThe Fox Den

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:43 PM

Can't beat them? Can't kill them? Then just clean them out of their cave!

#29 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:00 AM

View PostJudgesin, on 06 January 2013 - 03:53 PM, said:

Hi i cant kill these annoying things.

They keep walking in circles around me faster than i can track them with my weapons. I tried turning around the OTHER way but it only lets me get off 1 shot before they also change direction. Also, i cant seem to do much damage to them even with 4 med lasers (might be lagshield)

What strategies/weapons are effective against these? I just got destroyed by a 8 light mech team

It's mostly lag shield.

Remember if you fire all your medium lasers at the same time you lose a lot of initial damage (it's a damage-over-time weapon) because you're tracing the enemy mech. You are -only- hitting them for real if your crosshairs turn red while you are firing. So if for the duration of your medium laser shot it only turns red near the end, you probably did less than 4 damage with that salvo.

The only thing I can recommend right now is to try a mech with arm mounted lasers and try to put 1 TAG. Keep the TAG firing (there are guides on this or just use a coin in your keyboard, put TAG on #6). Now wave your arms around when your crosshairs turn red, fire all your lasers. Give this a go for a few games and see if it gives you a good feel for how to hit lights or fast mechs in general (note that if you have high ping you sometimes need to lead all across your screen. Practice waving that TAG around 'til it turns your crosshairs red before shooting).

#30 KerenskyClone

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:07 AM

I dont know I really dont have many problems with light mechs, but then again I dont use Lock on weapons on most of my mechs (apart from streaks on my Atlas DDC) but Im a heavy user of energy and SRM weapons.

For example with my C4 Cat I have 2xML & 4xSRM6 with artemis, the missles take a bit of skill to use against lights but a well placed strike can completely cripple a Raven.

The only mech I seem to have a problem hitting reliably is the Spider, since it is so small and nimble and the lagshield is most pronounced on it. But the spider is basically a distraction anyway and doesnt really pose a proper threat in a good team.

Basically what Im saying is the best defense is to play smart and stick together with your team, ideally a team should always stick together and the best counter to lights should be your light teammates....

#31 John MatriX82

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:13 AM

View PostJudgesin, on 06 January 2013 - 03:53 PM, said:

Hi i cant kill these annoying things.

They keep walking in circles around me faster than i can track them with my weapons. I tried turning around the OTHER way but it only lets me get off 1 shot before they also change direction. Also, i cant seem to do much damage to them even with 4 med lasers (might be lagshield)

What strategies/weapons are effective against these? I just got destroyed by a 8 light mech team

Have you read this? http://mwomercs.com/...annoying-light/

#32 Parappaman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:51 AM

View PostApostal, on 15 January 2013 - 11:43 PM, said:

Can't beat them? Can't kill them? Then just clean them out of their cave!

The Spider's best feature is that it is so bad that it makes a Commando look total badass in comparison.

Nice video though.

#33 Desert Dingo

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:31 AM

I've had pretty good track record of taking out lights with my AC20. Maybe its luck, maybe they were bad light mech pilots... but I think it's also the following reasons. (people already talked about walking backwards, back against wall etc.)

Buddy system, you'll have a much easier time hitting a light if it is circling your buddy. Try to hit him when his tangential lines up with your direction of fire, so you don't have to deal with the lag as much.

AC20 hits hard and focus damage... against lights your shooting time is limited, so if you hit, make it count. AC20 will cripple them and probably kill them if they are already damaged. Any heavy hitter weapon will work I guess (gauss, ppc etc.)

Practice lag shooting, most MW2 online players have had plenty of that in the past and will pick up pretty fast.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users