Random Map Generator?

3 replies to this topic

#1 Rylyn

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:49 AM

I don't claim to be an ace in computer programming but I know a little. I know it would take a lot of thought and programming but how hard would it be to come up with a completely random map generator? The possibility of rarely being on the same map is enticing. Something like this could set this game a part from the others.

#2 BerryChunks

Dezgra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:21 AM

Actually, the better solution is to have a Random Map Generator, with appropriate ReRolls and limitations on designs and where things can go and how much per grid etc, and then Generate maps at random all day, then go back through them all and pick potential maps, and then test them and see if they work first, and if they are fun to play on second, and then put them in the pool..

However, you're asking for a lot of work.

I'm trying to recall if Black and White had a Random map generator with it's map creation tool. I believe more simplistic games like MegaMek Battletech TT simulator has a Random map generation function.

Edit: MegaMek does have RNG for it's maps.

There's always also the possibility of having a more generalized map generator, something that makes a "barebones" build with biggest landmarks and terrain, to which a map editor goes in and adds doodads and rocks and trees after generation.

a true Random map generator after every game load would be extremely taxing on computer resources and could end up screwing the game for the people playing on it.

It's better to just keep using a map generator to build maps over and over and keep adding more and more maps to the list.

Edited by BerryChunks, 08 January 2013 - 04:27 AM.

#3 juxstapo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts
  • Locationmy Tier is bigger than yours.

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:02 AM

yep. We lobbied for it hard during the closed beta...

Shot down. Just... shot. Not even a crash, just splod in midair.

#4 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:24 AM

View PostBerryChunks, on 08 January 2013 - 04:21 AM, said:

There's always also the possibility of having a more generalized map generator, something that makes a "barebones" build with biggest landmarks and terrain, to which a map editor goes in and adds doodads and rocks and trees after generation.

That thing comes stock with Cryengine, so I wouldn't be suprised if they actually did it like that.
For maps like Caustic and with slight terrain changes, at least.

Edited by Adridos, 08 January 2013 - 08:24 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users