I Have No Controll Over My Mech

4 replies to this topic

#1 Victor Hardcort

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:07 AM

Started a mission [night] time] saw a black screen with some colored lights distant weapon fire and no controll over my mech. it fell off sometyhing and then ran into something, and got killed. Then respawn was camped. So much for a tutorial.

Any way to get this to actually have controll over the mecj?

Isn't there a Tutorial?

#2 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:12 AM

Having a joystick plugged-in to your computer will override your keyboard commands, so that is a good thing to check for first.

There is a Training Grounds (a section of the website, not an actual in-game level) with much introductory/tutorial information, and the section of the forums called General Guides is also rich with introductory info (I wrote a little guide myself, linked in my post signature..)

The developers are working on adding a "test map" to the game for trying out weapons and stuff, but that will take a little while.

#3 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:57 AM

There is no in-game tutorial. You'll want to look over the videos and guides in the Training Grounds section of the website.

We were all new once, and we all know there is no training area (yet). Get into a match and take your time, don;t be discouraged by a poor performance your first few matches. We all know this game has a tough learning curve.

Don't be afraid to ask questions!

If you land on River City (Night) again, (that's the dark map), press H for Heat vision and N for Night Vision so you can see where you're going.

#4 CmdrPoopyPants

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 376 posts
  • LocationOshkosh, WI

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:03 PM

As Redshift2k5 said, H for heatvision is needed (mostly) on River City Night.. I also use it on Frozen City (day) because of the fog, but those are the only two maps I -need- it on. Some people play in heat vision mode all the time as it defeats "distance" and removes the effect of some terrain stuff (trees at distance, etc). I don't ever use "night vision" (N) because it's just too obnoxious for me, but I've seen other people use it.

Another thing to keep in mind as you go forward.. trial mechs are stock mechs and mostly suck. You aren't expected to do all that well in them, or live long in them since mostly they're armored all crappy. Your first 25 matches bring a "cadet bonus" that totals about 8 million c-bills, designed to get you into your own mech sooner.. and I suggest searching the forums for build info and starter mech info before you spend any money on a mech.. and use http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab to build out mechs before you spend money in game... see if you need Double Heatsinks (1.5m cbills to upgrade to), Endo Steel, etc etc, and that tool gives you final cost.. save up that much first, or open a second window and see what changes you can make as "on the way" steps to your final build, see what those cost.. for example, if the engine you want is 4m cbills, see if you can make a farily sturdy and decent damage version on the stock engine while you earn up that 4m cbills. I often end up with 2 or 3 steps of configurations for a mech I'm buying (dump a weapon and increase ammo/armor first.. swap engines maybe, and get more ammo or different weapons.. eventually get DHS and finalize the build.. etc etc).

#5 BrandeX

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:42 AM

fyi, there is no respawn in this game. once your down, it's the end of the match for you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users