Hunchback 4Sp Loadout Advice

22 replies to this topic

#21 Ravennus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:50 PM

This is my personal HBK-4SP build.... HBK-4SP "Mauler"

It has EVERYTHING. Maximum armor, maximum speed, AMS, 5 MLAS, 2 Artemis SRM6s w/3 tons of ammo.

Of course, you need Ferro and Endo to pull this off, and the DHS upgrade.

The only caveat to this... is heat. You have 11 DHS.
Typically people run around 14-15 for the 4SP, so this might feel a little more hot.

But personally, it works for me and is worth it.
Many people have the tendency to actually over-do the heatsinks at the expense of everything else. Certain builds you need to, and especially if you just "spray and pray" and don't exercise any fire control.

However, in the 4SP... you are an unparalleled hit-and-run brawler. IMHO, the extra heatsinks are wasted once you started choosing your shots more carefully.

I've topped the scoreboard on Caustic with this build, and fought in the Caldera.
It's all about knowing when to fire, and when not to waste a shot.

This applies to the SRMs for sure, but also to the lasers.
I have my grouped for each arm.... left mouse click fires the 2 left arm MLAS and the right does the same with the right arm. I don't fire the head mounted MLAS until I lose an arm or side torso.

The way convergence works, you can often waste a shot from either arm if you are peeking out from behind cover. Also, you might hit an ally with friendly fire if they are too close to one of the arms of your mech. So for me, I found this grouping really helpful.

Either way, on a normal heat map a full alpha only costs me about 30% heat, so you can definitely still alpha when you have a choice opportunity.

It's a great great mech. I love my Hunchbacks, and learned so much about the game playing them.
I just recently mastered the 4SP, 4P (my other FAV!) and the 4H and it never felt like a chore.
They taught me a lot about lasers, missiles, and ballistics.
With the proper engine they also let you strike fast and get out of trouble if needed.

Like with all mechs though, it is all about tinkering with the setups and finding what works best for your playstyle. :)

#22 TruePoindexter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

View PostCrunchTheRobot, on 08 January 2013 - 09:24 PM, said:

This is my 4SP build, and am very content with how it performs:

Posted Image

It's an old picture, but it runs DHS and also has 2 tons of Streak ammo. I haven't changed this thing yet, and don't plan on it.

I don't run AMS, as I have no critical slots left for it. I generally do very well in this, and ECM doesn't affect me too much in battle.

You've got good loadouts there. What I tend to do in my Hunchie is to flank enemies and hit them from behind. Either that, or tag along with an Assault who can't defend themselves from a lighter 'Mech. If all your other Scouts die, you can be a decent secondary scout 'Mech since you go over 90 kph with Speed Tweak.

In a 4SP, I wouldn't use an engine size smaller than 250. With Pulses, I'd watch your heat, but if managed properly, it could be very deadly. Hope I helped! I can also try to answer any questions you may have.

I run something almost exactly the same. It's very effective.
5 ML 2 SSRM2 STD260
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...3a60ed72b18a69f

#23 kevin roshak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 304 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:13 PM

What I run and find very effective for the HKB-4SP is

4MPL, two in each arm, each arm to a differnt button to help with heat controll
1 SL in the head, you can upgrade it to a Med if you drop another half ton off the legs
2SRM6 with 2t ammo, runs out a bit quick, but you need to pick your shots
15DHS
Endo Steel
and a STD225 engine, gives you 72.9 KPH without speed tweak, 80.2KPH with so you arent as fast as you could be but fast enough to outpace stock mediums and lets you fade away without too much trouble.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users