Useful Jump Jets? (Poll)

6 replies to this topic

Poll: Worth it? (28 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you feel that JJs are useful in combat?

1. Yes, I use them all the time! (10 votes [35.71%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 35.71%

2. Yes, but not in combat (1 votes [3.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.57%

3. Yes and No (7 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

4. No, not in combat (6 votes [21.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 21.43%

5. Not at all (4 votes [14.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 0Life

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:58 PM

I have a Raven RVN-4X and honestly I have never really used the bloody things except to slow a fall. When I see someone using them in a fight all I can think is "thanks for flying straight as an easy target on your rear." Perhaps I have just not seen someone use them well in the middle of a fight? What is your opinion on them, feel free to expand on your answer.

#2 Wrenchfarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:07 PM

I really love them on my Phract-3D. They work best in maps like River City where the density of vertical obstacles give real advantages to short-cutting over them or getting on top of them for better shooting angles. But even on maps like Frozen City they can still be useful, even just for pop-tarting over a friendly mech that is blocking your shot, or hopping over the drop ship to escape a bad situation. They also can help deal with the Phracts terrible torso twist and arm articulation when you get in a circle fight with something more manoeuvrable.

That said, I wouldn't mind if they achieved vertical lift a little faster. You travel so far horizontally before even getting a few feet off the ground that it makes it hard to gauge when to start to jump. It definitely takes some practise to get down.

#3 Hex Pallett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:08 PM

I have no idea why I like those four JJs on my CPLT A1 and C1 so much. Maybe it's because I like taking shortcuts.

#4 Mycrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:52 PM

No jumpjets on catapults for me

Use JJs on jump capable light mechs

Learn to shoot while in flight

In combat fly parallel to heavier mechs

Vs light mechs fly then turn 180 then shoot

#5 Devil Fox

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationThe Fox Den

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:19 AM

Jump jets need some serious work to bring them up to par (let along to the distance they should be providing). At the moment the amount of thrust generated (even with max amount of JJ) is minimal to clear even hip high buildings and objects at full speed and using half a tank of juice. The vertical thrust has to be increased and this will not only allow us larger jumping arcs but also the ability to actually reach the jump distances we should expect but don't get delivered.

Personally even on light mechs JJ are a waste of tonnage as any reasonable light pilot should know the terrain enough to make the best escape or to lose pursuers. The Spider will sadly prove this... yet to make one variant that actually jumps as I think the smaller hitbox on the run is safer then a light mech hanging 5m off the ground to only gain 100m of ground.

#6 Vosje

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:43 AM

I hardly use them in combat, but there are a lot op places where height gives an advantage (Whether to scout, snipe or rain missiles), or jumpjets save you time (Anyone who has fallen of an ice cliff can probably relate).

Once collisions are back, I expect a lot of lights resorting to baiting an enemy, running back and jumping over their team (or to another point of safety) instead of trying to go through their teammates.

#7 Stingz

• 1,159 posts
  • Location*SIGNAL LOST*

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:44 AM

View PostApostal, on 09 January 2013 - 03:19 AM, said:

Personally even on light mechs JJ are a waste of tonnage as any reasonable light pilot should know the terrain enough to make the best escape or to lose pursuers. The Spider will sadly prove this... yet to make one variant that actually jumps as I think the smaller hitbox on the run is safer then a light mech hanging 5m off the ground to only gain 100m of ground.

I really liked JJ on lights before the patch, when terrain is uneven it can help lots. JJ help slower mechs more though, since they don't have very much mobility anyways.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users