Catapult, Awesome Or Cataphract

11 replies to this topic

#1 dr bongstorm

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 46 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:10 AM

elited hunchbacks, time to buy a new mech!

what should i take and why?

can't afford any xl versions and from what i udnerstand dragons arent that great.

#2 Thorasta

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:31 AM

wow... I'm about to elite my hunchback and was just wondering the same thing.

I was thinking catapult or atlas... but atlas is probably hugely expensive.

Edited by Thorasta, 09 January 2013 - 01:31 AM.

#3 dr bongstorm

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 46 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:57 AM

i want something new now, i don't want to wait around for 10 million cbills...so no atlas.

i just want to know if there are any mechs in those classes that are clear favourites.

Edited by dr bongstorm, 09 January 2013 - 01:57 AM.

#4 MadPanda

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,054 posts
  • LocationSearching for a game...

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:58 AM

Pick anything other than Awesome. We can't say what kind of mechs you like. They are all different.

#5 Sgt Stress

Rookie

• 8 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:00 AM

Cat K2. Gives you some nice variations on loadouts. 4 MLAS, 2 AC5 / 4LLAS, XL, UAC5 / PPC / GAUS sniper etc. Great fun. Running a 4LLAS at the mo and it can dish out some damage.

#6 dr bongstorm

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 46 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:08 AM

i had wondered about the viabiity of the cat, it seems like such an easy target, and kind of easy to dismantle, with no arms.

but i see a lot of them so i assume there must be pros.

if i got one i would go with the k, i dont have any interest in a missile boat.

#7 Coastal0

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 68 posts
  • LocationWestern Australia

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:36 AM

A better question is; What sort of Hunchback do you most enjoy?

A Catapault can be many things. It can be fast, it can be slow, it can long range, it can short.

This is also true with the other chassis though. I've just bought a 'phract. Definitely prefer it over the catapault. I ran dragons in closed beta too, however, and they were quite fun to play.

Ultimately see if the hardpoints are something you might enjoy. Check out guides in the mech section on the forums here too.

#8 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:13 AM

I like Awesomes myself. Well, I should qualify that by saying I like one variant; the 9m, and mostly tolerate the others, though I used to love them all before that floozie the Stalker arrived and did things to me that my prude Awesomes no longer did.

You can make the 9m stupendously fast, fill it with MLAS and Streaks enough that you can guarantee at least one smashed and tear stained keyboard ends up being put in the trash by some 14 year old elitist's parents (although not as many tear stained keyboards as a filthy ECM toting Commando or Raven can garner).

The only caveat is that it costs around eleventy billion cbills. You can make some of that back by selling the underpowered XL that comes stock though. And then spend it all and then some more on either a 385XL or 350 standard.

I like to think of it as being the same sort of indulgence as a high cost ****** lovingly and surprisingly gently smashing your junk with a hammer carved out of frozen black label Jack Daniels. You know you've paid a lot of money for it, you know it's Awesome, but you can't explain to your friends exactly why it excites you so.

The other variants are great also, if you're somewhat of a *********. I used to love the amount of SRM's I could fit into them, but almost all of them have been overshadowed by the Stalker. I initially thought I couldn't live without the arm actuators on my Awesomes, but i... can.

It's not on your list, but I recommend the Stalker. It's slow, but the firepower is just amazing. It also teaches you (more than any other chassis, IMHO) to manage your heat and position yourself well. Fill it with SRM's and MLAS. Then, wait for those singular shining golden moments where ANY light mech shuts down in front of you. There really is no better combination in the game than massed SRM's and light mechs.

If you try it and don't like it, you'll probably know that Assaults aren't the thing for you.

I also endorse the catapault, in all it's wildly-useful varianting glory. I believe that chassis is the most balanced and flexible of all the chassis you can purchase. Missile boats? HO. SSRM Cheese? Heck yes. Dual gauss, or the mad cackle inducing dual AC20? Check. Much fun to be had.

Edit: Censorship! I can understand that the title of the oldest profession is censored, but mas·och·ist?

http://dictionary.re...rowse/*********

ha, actually, that definition is kind of wild. I was thinking of the enjoying pain bit, but the top one is pretty awesome.

Also, dictionary.com tells me that it agrees that ********* is a cool word, but so is ninnyhammer. What the hell is a ninnyhammer??

Edited by Kiiyor, 09 January 2013 - 03:19 AM.

#9 Gtbuck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 581 posts
  • LocationSoutheast US

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:33 AM

Went from hunches to catphacts myself, seemed like a natural progression. If you like going with LRM go to catapults, you can put a couple of lrms on the ctaphract 2x, but I feel like it's better suited for brawling with 2 srm 6s. I've recently played around with a 1x with a 320 engine (around 2mil cbills) with mlas and ac20, top speed is 81kph with speed tweek. I ran a 4x with gauss and ac10 for long range. Very versitile chassis as long as you don't want LRMs as your main weapon.

#10 Goregrimm

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 57 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:47 AM

I have a Cataphract 3D with 2 gauss and 4 ml. I love it. I was not as crazy about the 1X but I think I am going to like the 4X once I get the cbills to equip it with 4 AC/2s. I hear Muromets is great.

I also have 3 Atlas that I enjoy except the K. I should have bought the DC.

I hear more bad things about the Awesome than I do good.

#11 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:33 AM

All those mechs are good. The Awesome is the most expensive to get it where you'll probably want it, but once that's done it's great fun. Really, I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

#12 TruePoindexter

• 2,605 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:01 AM

View Postdr bongstorm, on 09 January 2013 - 01:10 AM, said:

elited hunchbacks, time to buy a new mech!

what should i take and why?

can't afford any xl versions and from what i udnerstand dragons arent that great.

What's your style of play? Cataphracts are solid and lend themselves to strong direct fire as does the Catapult K2. Some of the Awesomes are also good direct fire mechs but some of the Awesomes and most of the Catapults favor missiles and make for solid missile boats. All of them have around the same potential for mobility but the Cataphract 3D and all of the Catapults but the K2 can mount jump jets if that's important to you.

So really - how do you like to play and with what weaponry?

EDIT: If it helps here's a Cataphract build video for the CTF-1X to show you one of the options available for it:

Edited by TruePoindexter, 09 January 2013 - 10:03 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users