42 replies to this topic

#1 Deathz Jester

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,107 posts
  • LocationOH, USA

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:47 PM

I wanted to know everyone's view on "overpowered" mechs. For example I was remembering certain battlemechs I've seen in the video games like MW3 & MW4 or Mechcommander 2.

one that I remembered off the top of my head was this little annoyance

Arctic Wolf
Posted Image

Armament:

Its a surprisingly well armed medium (40ton) mech. albeit short ranged.

So it doesn't matter what year it was made, or pre-clan invasion or post-clan invasion, just post and discuss.

Edited by Iron Harlequin, 24 May 2012 - 02:47 PM.

#2 Insidious Johnson

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,417 posts
  • Location"This is Johnson, I'm cored"

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:52 PM

There are no OP mechs, just OP pilots. The artic wolf thanks you for acknowledging that it performs its intended role as designed.

#3 LaznAzn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • LocationCanada Eh

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:55 PM

Never hurt to bring a bunch of Assault mechs with some form of PPC loadout for most missions in MW4. Although not all of them.

#4 FinnMcKool

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,600 posts
  • Locationunknown

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:57 PM

wait until the Mechlab starts , peoples ideas will invent overpower mechs , I think the Beta will show that its a fun, but dangerous part of the game.

#5 Deathz Jester

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,107 posts
  • LocationOH, USA

Posted 24 May 2012 - 03:00 PM

View PostInsidious Johnson, on 24 May 2012 - 02:52 PM, said:

There are no OP mechs, just OP pilots. The artic wolf thanks you for acknowledging that it performs its intended role as designed.

I thank you for your failure to discuss the topic as it was intended.

#6 neodym

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  • Locationready to help with closed beta

Posted 24 May 2012 - 03:04 PM

everything is overpowered in role its made to be used

#7 Zyzyx66

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 108 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 24 May 2012 - 03:05 PM

View PostFinnMcKool, on 24 May 2012 - 02:57 PM, said:

wait until the Mechlab starts , peoples ideas will invent overpower mechs , I think the Beta will show that its a fun, but dangerous part of the game.

As much as I REALLY want a mechlab, I'm nervous that this will be the case. I really hope minmaxers won't ruin the fun, but I have faith in the devs to make sure that doesn't happen ;)

I've never really come across any obviously overpowered mechs - I always just picked the ones I liked the look of, and they all seemed pretty competitive. The mechs with smaller frames tended to be a little trickier, like the Cauldron-Born.

#8 Insidious Johnson

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,417 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 03:06 PM

View PostIron Harlequin, on 24 May 2012 - 03:00 PM, said:

There can be a topic based on a false premise: flawed topic. Your desire that I participate in a topic that is inherently flawed from inception as if it were not is humorous. I look forward to re-iterating my assertion with each shot, as you prove it for me.

Edited by Insidious Johnson, 24 May 2012 - 03:07 PM.

#9 Chuggernaut

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 220 posts
  • LocationKelestra City, Furillo, Grand Duchy of Furillo

Posted 24 May 2012 - 03:08 PM

View PostInsidious Johnson, on 24 May 2012 - 02:52 PM, said:

Considering that most canon designs are intentionally sub-optimal, the ones that are kind of stand out as unbalanced. Makes it more satisfying when he loses, though, since most people who rely on stuff like Hellstars tend to be bad players.

#10 Ninjawolf

• Pip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 03:12 PM

not sure about overpowered but when a whole team throws a BBQ you get a lot of ragers on the other team

#11 Deathz Jester

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,107 posts
  • LocationOH, USA

Posted 24 May 2012 - 03:14 PM

View PostInsidious Johnson, on 24 May 2012 - 03:06 PM, said:

There can be a topic based on a false premise: flawed topic. Your desire that I participate in a topic that is inherently flawed from inception as if it were not is humorous. I look forward to re-iterating my assertion with each shot, as you prove it for me.

I dont desire that you participate, seeing as you have nothing useful nor constructive to contribute to this thread. Therefore I ask you keep to yourself unless you have something useful to say. I started a thread for a discussion on the topic of mechs seemingly overpowered or unbalanced. Not so someone holding a thesaurus can feel like a big man laying a smackdown on someone.

So respectfully Go away.

Edited by Iron Harlequin, 24 May 2012 - 03:15 PM.

#12 neodym

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  • Locationready to help with closed beta

Posted 24 May 2012 - 03:15 PM

View PostIron Harlequin, on 24 May 2012 - 03:00 PM, said:

hey chill down man,you want us to all sing how that Artic Wolf is OP? it isnt,and you know what? no mech is OP

yes artic wolf 1 have baller alpha but theres like some serious serious disadvatages,like for example,it have ONLY non guided srm?
that range is like one of worst in whole battletech,that thing is nothing more that decently fast moving target practice outside 250m,witch is
in range of nearly all other mechs

second thing these SRM use ammunition,once its gone he cant do anythig,even biggest ballistic/missile boats usualy have atleast one or two
small lasers but this one have like 100% no energy weapon,

and last thing,its unguided version so even if enemy happens to be in reach of that POOR range,if its anything faster than these 64kmh mechs
he gotta be best shooter ever or dam lucky to hit a thing

also last factor is to compare relative era mechs,comparing Mackie with something from 3100s would,yes lead to
saying thats OP but comparing that would be like comparing Noes Arch with Nimitz class supercarrier

Edited by neodym, 24 May 2012 - 03:20 PM.

#13 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 24 May 2012 - 03:16 PM

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 18 May 2012 - 09:30 AM, said:

First up: My personal Catapult C1 (the 'Hole Punch'):
Modified Catapult CPLT C1:
  • Replace both LRM 15's with a total of four SRM 6's.
  • Add 1 ton of SRM ammo
  • Change the four Medium Lasers to Small Lasers
  • Add Heat Sinks until you have 20 total
  • Armour up your Torso and Arms; rear armour is not a priority.
  • Keep two jump jets, remove the rest for space.

#14 Ian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 24 May 2012 - 03:27 PM

So you have less than 4 shots each per SRM launcher, hardly overpowered.

so after that you are going to lightly glaze my armor with your 4 small lasers.....

Edited by Ian, 24 May 2012 - 03:29 PM.

#15 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 24 May 2012 - 03:53 PM

View PostIan, on 24 May 2012 - 03:27 PM, said:

So you have less than 4 shots each per SRM launcher, hardly overpowered.

so after that you are going to lightly glaze my armor with your 4 small lasers.....

It was mostly a joke, since that's a build Garth posted :P all based on getting a surprise alpha strike after jump jetting behind someone who is distracted.

#16 dal10

• Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts
  • Locationsomewhere near a bucket of water and the gates of hell.

Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:24 PM

key to beating most of the op mechs. or as some call them boats. (note not trying to turn this into a boating argument, but people are always going to complain when some mech drops half their armor in a single salvo) is teamwork. to go with a stock mech option lets talk about catapult raven combo. most people are going to get angry at all of the LRMs they get pounded with when they were dumb enough to ignore the raven running around. but since a lot of catapults are not going to be moving due whether they just don't think about it or they just feel "safe", it is simple enough to send a couple mechs to flank and destroy the catapult ( lets face it they think can'r run well at all). that weakens the ravens usefulness significantly because a massive chunk of the firepower it could get fired at an enemy mech is now gone. to go for an example on the arctic wolf. simplest way to kill it is to set a trap. the thing is fast and has rather heavy firepower however it probably does not have that much armor. A hunchback might be able to drop one in 1 to 2 salvos. so put a bait mech out. for example a catapult. wait til it runs around it for the kill and drop a AC20 burst straight in the back. thing will never know what hit it. to go with garths catapult build you would use the same strategy. the big drawback to this strategy is that it would only work with teamates you can depend on. that's all i got.

#17 Insidious Johnson

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,417 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:51 PM

View Postneodym, on 24 May 2012 - 03:15 PM, said:

hey chill down man,you want us to all sing how that Artic Wolf is OP? it isnt,and you know what? no mech is OP

yes artic wolf 1 have baller alpha but theres like some serious serious disadvatages,like for example,it have ONLY non guided srm?
that range is like one of worst in whole battletech,that thing is nothing more that decently fast moving target practice outside 250m,witch is
in range of nearly all other mechs

second thing these SRM use ammunition,once its gone he cant do anythig,even biggest ballistic/missile boats usualy have atleast one or two
small lasers but this one have like 100% no energy weapon,

and last thing,its unguided version so even if enemy happens to be in reach of that POOR range,if its anything faster than these 64kmh mechs
he gotta be best shooter ever or dam lucky to hit a thing

also last factor is to compare relative era mechs,comparing Mackie with something from 3100s would,yes lead to
saying thats OP but comparing that would be like comparing Noes Arch with Nimitz class supercarrier

Thanks for pretty much saying what I said. Glad you decided to invest more verbage into it. I just couldn't, not really a topic for discussion if you disagree with the OP who has reached his "conclusion" based on pure subjective analysis. I wonder why the OP isn't all over you for calling out glaring streaks of a negated premise even after reducing the AW example to nothing more than a target on a range map? Ah, subjective reasoning again. (Removed as it is considered harassment and unnecessary)

Edited by Mason Grimm, 25 May 2012 - 12:41 PM.

#18 Wolfe Ryatt

• 1,858 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles or Summer..same thing really

Posted 24 May 2012 - 05:06 PM

The Naga with Arrow IV artillery. U cannot defeat tihs mech.

#19 Morashtak

• Mercenary
  • 1,242 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 24 May 2012 - 05:06 PM

What is nice about the content delivery system PGI has chosen is that IF there should ever be a HP layout introduced the seriously unbalances the game the fix can happen very quickly.

And until I can assess each and every HP layout of each and every Mech that will ever be in the game I reserve judgment on any hypothetical "OP Mech".

Guessing that as soon as an "OP Mech" is crowned an "OP Mech Killer" variant will be found and regicide will ensue.

#20 Darksabbath

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:46 PM

Only "over-powered" cannon mech I can think of from TT is the Black Python. All pulse lasers ties to a target computer on a 75-tonner that does 5/8 speed. But its very high BV cost really limited what else you could take with it for your team.. so it was all the eggs in one basket type of thing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users