Left-Handed Gamers

10 replies to this topic

#1 Shinino

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:27 PM

I'm left handed. I use the mouse with my left hand, and use the arrow keys to move in nearly every game I play.

In MWO, this doesn't seem like it's an option, as movement is WASD and arrow keys are used for weapon groups.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to work this, perhaps by binding Del/Home/End/Page Down for weapon grouping?

Is this even possible?

#2 DerelictTomcat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 245 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:39 AM

Its simple but nobody seems to have taken the time to answer. Maybe they are all complaining about their color or 3rd person viewing. Maybe most were thinking you should just search?

When you open the game look to the lower left of the window. Menu / options and bind away. Good luck and I hope to see you out there on the battlefield.

Edited by DerelictTomcat, 01 December 2012 - 05:41 AM.

#3 nostra

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:49 PM

I'm left handed, and use a laptop mouse pad thing, using my left hand for the fine controls of WASD and the numerical keys above for firing weapons, seems to work pretty well.

#4 I Just Ate Your Grapes Bro

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 153 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:04 PM

I've never heard of this heh, I'm a lefty myself but I use the mouse and keyboard as a right handed person, left handed scissors hurt my hands but I use right handed scissors WITH my left hand, never felt wrong to me? I've always just adapted to living in a right hand biased world, we are the few! My little brother uses his arrow keys to move but keeps the mouse on the right side, I always thought THAT was weird heh.

Anyways, as said above, you can absolutely bind your key settings however you like, as long as you are still using your mouse to fire it shouldn't be a problem, and even that I think you can change. Pretty sure the only restrictions right now are on mice that have additional buttons that MWO doesn't recognize as the base 3, or maybe it's JUST the scroll wheel... I use a mouse with 1-= on it so my extra buttons are never not recognized as long as the number keys are.

#5 Aneah

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:46 AM

I'm a southpaw as well. However, I've just been using the default configuration for now. Normally, I use the mouse with my right hand. Since I'm still trying to get used to the movements in game, I'm just using the trial mechs until I become more accustomed to things.

#6 evilC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:39 PM

Here you go:
http://evilc.com/fil.../mwo/leftie.ahk

Save that file to your disk, then install AutoHotkey and one installed, double click leftie.ahk to run it - you will see a green icon in your tray when running.
ONLY when in game will it remap the following keys:

Arrows map to WSAD
Home/End/Delete/PgDn map to weapon selection
0/Ins on the number pad is full stop.

#7 ODonovan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • LocationMWO is still incomplete, after YEARS!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:53 AM

Heya!

See my post (#4) in this thread.

LINK

You CAN remap your keys in "Options" when you're in 'mechlab, but driving with a right handed joystick beats the keyboard by a MILE!

-Irish

Edited by ODonovan, 06 January 2013 - 12:54 AM.

#8 Bluemaxx

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 115 posts
  • LocationAustralia....somewhere

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:56 PM

i'm a lefty and use the mouse in my right hand (i can actually use my left or right hand but prefer using my left for gaming), here's how i have my game setup - all based around the number pad on the right side of your keyboard.
Throttle up: NUM5
Throttle Down: NUM2
Left/Right: NUM1/3
Weapon Group 1/2: Mouse 1/2
Weapon Group 3/4: NUM4/6
Target Enemy: NUM0
Jump Jets: NUM Enter
Thermal Vision: NUM7
Zoom Module: NUM8
NIght Vision: NUM9
Zoom: Mouse 3 (push the wheel)
ECM Mode: NUM+

Try that out, all the major control are within easy reach for me and i get to play with the comfort of using my mouse in my left hand (Razer Taipan if you wished to know). All of these can be reworked to suit your requirements but i find the number pad has enough buttons for anything you would wish to use.

#9 Baa

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:03 PM

I am a lefty and also use the 10 keypad for MWO (and all other fps type games). I use 2 4 6 and 8 for movement. The zero key for stop. 5 key to reset torso to legs. Weapon groups are / * - etc. targeting is +. Jump jets enter. I can control all key functions with my right hand and only use the main keyboard for vision chat etc.

#10 shadevarr

• PipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 71 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:31 PM

leftie here. I keybound nearly everything to numpad as follows:

/ thermal
* ecm toggle
- zoom module
+ regular zoom
0 full stop
1 jump jets
2 decelate
3 push-to-talk
4 left
5 center torso twist
6 right
7 shutdown override
8 accelerate
9 next target
del weapon group3 (usually missiles)
left mouse: group1
right mouse: group2

#11 Soy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,689 posts
  • Locationtrue Lord system

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:53 PM

Cool topic!

About 7 years ago I switched from gaming right-handed to left-handed (I'm a lefty IRL). Much, much better.

Here is my layout (yes I actually just went and made this pic)...

Posted Image

Not only am I left-handed, but I run weird setups. Note the mouse in pic is my actual mouse so more than likely your mouse setup would be diff if you copied this..?

Obviously the 'home base' for my right hand would be over the up/down/left/right keys, and venture out from there. I really like the extra distance in between the key groups on the right side, it has helped me cut down on miskeys or bad finger posture a lot over the years.

This setup might be hard for a chick with small fingers or something, though. Friends hate sitting down at my PC with mouse on left side... they hate it! Funny thing being I can still game right-handed but I've lost some of my touch from that angle. I think mouse/keyboard is only thing in my life I can do ambidextrous!

Any questions just ask. :)

Edited by Soy, 13 January 2013 - 03:59 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users