10 replies to this topic

#1 FerrolupisXIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 502 posts
  • LocationCatapult Cockpit

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:28 AM

So, i for one am somewhat excited for the mech after the Spider, the Trebuchet.

For those who don't know it is a 50 ton mech. the stock version specializes in LRM support fire.

What i have been thinking is of taking another 50 ton mech and building it like a Trebuchet would come. nothing too fancy, but we can get some basic info and ideas.

the stock Trebuchet comes with a standard 250. this makes our max engine size a 325.

Goal: Super fast missile support!

right now there is only one mech that could fit the role. a CN9-D! And for the fluff bunnies, the Centurion and Trebuchet are "sister" mechs, designed to work together. perfect!

The CN9-D has 2 missile, 2 energy and 1 ballistic. not exactly the right hard points, but workable. I'm seriously considering purchasing a CN9-D just for the fun of trying out a Trebuchet fitting early.

Depending on what chassis we get for the Trebuchet, one would come with a 300xl stock, so would be able to get a 390 just like the CN9-D can. and push up to speeds one sees in light mechs! that could be all sorts of fun.

Anyone got thoughts on this little guy? I'm an LRM user at heart but I'm sure a fast one with lasers and streaks would give many a light mech a run for its money.

#2 Jungle Rhino

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 579 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:24 AM

It's pretty clear to me that given the current tendencies the Trebuchet is just going to be a 4x SRM6 boat travelling at about 115kmph...

Which is sad.

#3 FerrolupisXIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 502 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:46 AM

Well unless they add more hard points, no. it wont. One variant even comes stock with 3 Medium Lasers and 2 SRM-6's. so it wouldn't be totally off target. Worst i can see is one has 3x missiles (two LRM and a NARC stock) so that could get painful. the other is the 4x energy and 2 missile version, which will also back some punch in close, similar to a HBK-4SP but faster.

#4 sarkun

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:09 AM

View PostFerrolupisXIII, on 11 January 2013 - 04:46 AM, said:

[...] the other is the 4x energy and 2 missile version, which will also back some punch in close, similar to a HBK-4SP but faster.

this is literally the most exciting thing for me since... well, can't remember.

#5 Jungle Rhino

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 579 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:20 AM

True about the hardpoints - but look at the CN9-A, it has a single LRM10 stock but for some reason get 3 missle slots in the LT. Similar situation with the CN9-AL that gets 2.

PGI trend towards adding extra hardpoints, I would not be surprised to see a Treb with 4 missle points.

#6 VagabondHT

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:29 AM

View PostFerrolupisXIII, on 11 January 2013 - 04:46 AM, said:

Well unless they add more hard points, no. it wont. One variant even comes stock with 3 Medium Lasers and 2 SRM-6's. so it wouldn't be totally off target. Worst i can see is one has 3x missiles (two LRM and a NARC stock) so that could get painful. the other is the 4x energy and 2 missile version, which will also back some punch in close, similar to a HBK-4SP but faster.

the Standard Treb was 3 Energy and 2 Missiles but most versions will have the 2 15 tubes. I have a Funny feeling they will use the TBT-3C as thier more expensive version like the Cent 9D. the 3C was the SLDF version with Artemis,case and a 300XL but it used 4 Medium lasers and 2 LRM 15s

#7 FerrolupisXIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 502 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:24 PM

yeah I've got my fingers crossed on the 3C version, that thing could get down right silly fast.

I'd also really like to see the 7M version. same as stock, plus a NARC and jump jets. i have a bit of a love for jump jets on mechs. and the extra missile slot could be real handy, mostly because you can have both LRM launchers in the torso's to help protect them. or, 3 streak/ srm. 3 mediums, XL325. 107 kph if i remember the chart? could be fun.

#8 Wrenchfarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:38 PM

Really looking forward to the Trebuchet. Really hoping they include the variants with jumpjets. Don't forget there are also direct fire support Trebs out there too.

I've made a Ghetto-Treb based on it with the Centurion. XL250 engine (I know, I hate it too), 2xLRM15s with Artemis, 3xMLAS, TAG. Works pretty damn good, but I'm betting the real deal will be better.

#9 Stingz

• 1,159 posts
  • Location*SIGNAL LOST*

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:24 PM

Really want to get a TBT-5J for a Wraith refit (though it won't look as cool). I really want to have a mech with enough mobility and tonnage to carry Pulse Lasers.

Edited by Stingz, 11 January 2013 - 07:25 PM.

#10 FerrolupisXIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 502 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:31 PM

i've seen a few jenners and Cicada's make good use of pulse weapons. pretty painful when they're used well.

And what Cent are you using to make that ghetto trenchbucket wrench? i've been contemplating grabbing a CT9-D but its sooo expensive for just a silly build.

#11 Wrenchfarm

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:13 AM

View PostFerrolupisXIII, on 11 January 2013 - 11:31 PM, said:

i've seen a few jenners and Cicada's make good use of pulse weapons. pretty painful when they're used well.

And what Cent are you using to make that ghetto trenchbucket wrench? i've been contemplating grabbing a CT9-D but its sooo expensive for just a silly build.

I use the CN9-AL for it since it can mount the multiple MLAS and TAG. I think you would have a hard time squeezing any kind of ballistic into a heavy LRM build - although I suppose you could always mix a lighter payload with an AC2 or something.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users