Viable K2 Build

11 replies to this topic

#1 TheRevanent

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 21 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:56 PM

I recently purchased a Catapult K2 and am looking to customize it. I recently Mastered my Hunchies so this will be my first Cat, here is what I was thinking -> http://mwo.smurfy-ne...74f3d5ec7e35f07 . Now I know it's a bit cheese but I don't particularly care, would you Cat veterans weigh in on this and let me know if this is a good build idea or am I setting myself up for trouble? Thanks everybody!

#2 p00k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:23 PM

too hot

consider regular ppcs instead of ER. the extra range is wasted most maps, and the 90m minimum is really easy to avoid

consider going to a 255 engine (same weight as a 250). you get one more dhs in the engine, and it's a 2.0 DHS unlike the 1.4 DHS's that you put outside (you can take off one of the outside dhs's too if tonnage is tight). you'll have to free up an extra half ton on top of trading in an outside DHS for an engine DHS though

consider putting the ppc's in the torso instead of the arms. the arms have the advantage of better firing arc and higher positioning, true, but with a build like yours the money will be in your alpha. torso mounted ppc's means you aim with the same reticule as your ac5's. leaves you vulnerable to some enemies though, but it also allows you to strip the arms of some armor (beef up the legs a bit, or use that savings to go to the 255 engine). http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a27bcf90debbac9

might even drop that CT ac5 ammo for some more armor, 4 tons should be plenty if you also have ppc's and it lets you beef up armor elsewhere if you feel nervous. i don't like stripping the arms completely naked because they can still shield side torsos a little bit, but that's another option

or, just go with one of the tried and true builds. dual gauss, dual ac20, dual uac5s, with mlas where you have the tonnage/space, or the 4llas

Edited by p00k, 27 January 2013 - 09:30 PM.

#3 TheRevanent

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 21 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:56 PM

View Postp00k, on 27 January 2013 - 09:23 PM, said:

too hot

consider regular ppcs instead of ER. the extra range is wasted most maps, and the 90m minimum is really easy to avoid

consider going to a 255 engine (same weight as a 250). you get one more dhs in the engine, and it's a 2.0 DHS unlike the 1.4 DHS's that you put outside (you can take off one of the outside dhs's too if tonnage is tight). you'll have to free up an extra half ton on top of trading in an outside DHS for an engine DHS though

consider putting the ppc's in the torso instead of the arms. the arms have the advantage of better firing arc and higher positioning, true, but with a build like yours the money will be in your alpha. torso mounted ppc's means you aim with the same reticule as your ac5's. leaves you vulnerable to some enemies though, but it also allows you to strip the arms of some armor (beef up the legs a bit, or use that savings to go to the 255 engine). http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a27bcf90debbac9

might even drop that CT ac5 ammo for some more armor, 4 tons should be plenty if you also have ppc's and it lets you beef up armor elsewhere if you feel nervous. i don't like stripping the arms completely naked because they can still shield side torsos a little bit, but that's another option

or, just go with one of the tried and true builds. dual gauss, dual ac20, dual uac5s, with mlas where you have the tonnage/space, or the 4llas

Yeah saving the heat for regular PPCs is probably worth the range loss, however I do want to keep the PPCs up top to peek over hills and short buildings for sniping. This looks to be a bit better on the heat efficiency and I put the XL255 in there http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f1766a4faddde51

Edited by TheRevanent, 27 January 2013 - 10:18 PM.

#4 Hex Pallett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:10 AM

LOL. You carry TWO ERPPC with 13 DHS? My K2 has 20 DHS and I still couldn't keep firing for more than 30 seconds with ERPPC.

Seriously, if you wanna go shooting people with K2, either drop the PPC completely and stick with ballistics, or center your entire build around a pair of PPCs. NORMAL PPCs. Along with the largest XL engine so you can rapidly redeploy/escape.

Also, as much as I hate saying this because it's such a ridiculously bullsh*t OP cheap-*** build, try twin-AC20. I consider the build a severe insult to the pilot's manhood, but different strokes to different folks.

#5 Alexander 1978

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:35 AM

IMHO you should look for another build and or mech for sniping.
I mean 20 damage from the ERPPC or PPC whatever you choose is not that big.
Ok with dual AC/5 it reaches 30 but those 30 damage get to your target with a slight delay because the AC/5 rounds fly slower then the PPC-Bolts do. That may be no problem if your target moves very slowly or stands still.

But the faster your target moves the more the difference in bullet speed will matter.

My advise to you would be to use one type of weapon for sniping only. Like the dual Gauss build (rather slow build / squishy weapon / ammo dependence) or 4 x PPC (only good for hit & run since it runs way too hot for sustained fire atm) or 4 x LL (not best sniper choice but a wider range to fight in since they are also good at close and mid range)

After all it is up to your prefered play style and ingame experience what your final build will look like.

#6 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:49 AM

I run THIS.

Sadly, I don't carry as much ammo, and your DPS and Alpha are both slightly ahead of mine. Still, I gladly take the trade for the lack of XL engine and more armor.

Also, expect to draw fire just for being in a K2. A lot of people expect gauss or AC20 boats, and you will be singled out based upon that expectation.

#7 Tahribator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:08 AM

After a week of experimentation I've settled on same the build but with PPC's. It's very balanced, you can get good damage at range with PPC's, go alpha on mid range and defend yourself with double AC5's at close range. It's really good. You can't chain fire PPC's for too long, but you can keep pounding with AC5's while they cool down.

Edited by Tahribator, 28 January 2013 - 03:08 AM.

#8 Sgt Stress

Rookie

• 8 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:20 AM

3x LLAS and a Gauss. XL Engine and lots of DHS. Dishes out a lot of damage. Can run the 3x LLAS without worrying too much about heat and have the Gaus for long range sniping and for finishing of weakend targets. Love this loadout.

#9 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:49 AM

When I run a K2 i used it to build this proxy:
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Cestus
Similar to Sgt Stress mech and very versatile

Another option has used ER-PPC and Gauss and the largest possible engine

Edited by Karl Streiger, 28 January 2013 - 05:51 AM.

#10 Wolfways

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:41 AM

I used a K2 since CB with PPC's and ERPPC's, and now i use a Cataphract with two gauss.

If you use PPC's you need to fill your mech with DHS, which leaves two energy and two ballistic slots that can only really fit two ML's (anything bigger means you aren't getting your heat down to use the PPC's) and two MG's (useless, but i still have mine because i'm hoping they will be worth having after they are buffed).

Also, the Catapult has a massive head hitbox. It's really not worth using over a Cataphract....except that the K2 looks better :)

#11 focuspark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:09 PM

I found this to be particularly good at sniping

Dawn Hammer

Requires judicious use of heat however.

#12 TwigTech

• PipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • 80 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:38 AM

Late to this thread, but I thought I'd throw in my two cents -

The K2 is an interesting mech, I've been using it since the closed beta with mixed results. One very popular build I've seen (and used) quite effectively is twin AC20's with a standard 250 engine. You strip all the armor out of the ears, knock the leg armor down to the 30's, and cram as much ammunition as you can into the center torso, head and legs. It's a little slim on the ammo (42-ish rounds in my case), but it's a pretty good zombie and a very fun mech to pilot if you're good at getting the drop on somebody.

I recently gave up my AC20 Cat for a variation of the Gauss Cat. The big difference is that I went ahead and used up all four energy slots so that it can hold its own against light mechs and provide that little extra push to kill a crippled mech. It's a little slim on ammo, but if you can make those shots count it should be enough. Also, more armor can be stripped off the arms for extra ammunition. I've only had the ears shot off once or twice, since there really isn't much to make targeting them worthwhile.

TwigTech's Gauss Cat

Edited by TwigTech, 29 January 2013 - 12:12 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users