#1 Damiler

• PipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 28 posts
  • LocationTunja, Colombia

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:09 PM

Well, i have a question.
I Have 4 AC/2, and a SSRM 2, and gotta love that build, but i was asking myself to buy a XL engine, giving me More Speed and Free tons to get a LPL on it, but the disadvantage of getting easily killed is getting me here to ask you: It is a good idea to put the XL on? I Have the 210 stock engine.

Edit: And what about buying Ferro Fibrous or endosteel, Or even both, to get some free weigth? I Actually have lot of free slots.

Edited by Damiler, 11 January 2013 - 04:11 PM.

#2 TheNoobLord

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:43 PM

i cant say whether a std or XL would be better, it depends, I can however give you my setup which works quite well http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1800c13328f0a5d

#3 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:26 AM

I've used 4 AC2s with an [ER or normal] large laser and an SRM4 quite a lot. It was a lot of fun to play, but those autocannons really draw a lot of attention, so it's hard to stay at long range the entire match. Sooner or later, some heavy mech is going to run through your rain of shells (which, to be fair, don't cause a hysterical amount of damage, unless you're using an aimbot) and try to brawl with you.

Long story short, I've been far more successful with a standard 200 engine than any XL engine I used before. Maybe it's my playing style and my habit of getting into brawls, but to be honest the AC2 isn't going to hit anything except slow moving targets (assault mechs and missile boats) at 700 meters. And at 400-500 meters, you'll often draw a lot of attention, because people don't like being bounced around in their cockpit by AC fire.

#4 Damiler

• PipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 28 posts
  • LocationTunja, Colombia

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:40 AM

View PostTheNoobLord, on 11 January 2013 - 08:43 PM, said:

i cant say whether a std or XL would be better, it depends, I can however give you my setup which works quite well http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1800c13328f0a5d

Im Going to try yours, looks good.

#5 BloodTzar

• Pip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:22 AM

Sup guys,

Ctf 4x was my 1st mech I have bought, since now I am more than sure that I have tryed almost every build besides those XL ones.

One I like the most is:

STD 280
max armor
DHS
Ferro

4xAC2 (shitload of ammo)
2ML
SMR 4 (1T ammo)
AMS

its very common to do over 500 dmg,

#6 Fangry

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:39 AM

Personally I love the 4x with a xl 245 (used it to grind the ravens.. so money saved in the long run) and 2 gauss. It really strikes the fear of god to the enemy.. and the fact that you can move the arms freely makes it a great killer of lights that are harrasing your team mates(if you can lead well enough).

I've also used 4 ac 5's with the same engine and I've never really felt that I was weak but it's all about your personal skill level and how comfortable you feel about turning your torso so the enemy won't be able to concentrate on one of your sides.

I also suggest you use lasers on the center torso because 1. you can spam them with gaus and more importantly 2. you can see where the lights have their lagpoint that you can hit them on with your ballistics.

Only having one SSRM is kind of a waste of tonnage becaue it's not that effective against anything really.

Endo steel is a must, ferro is pretty meh.

#7 twibs

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:59 AM

View PostBloodTzar, on 14 January 2013 - 02:22 AM, said:

Sup guys,

Ctf 4x was my 1st mech I have bought, since now I am more than sure that I have tryed almost every build besides those XL ones.

One I like the most is:

STD 280
max armor
DHS
Ferro

4xAC2 (shitload of ammo)
2ML
SMR 4 (1T ammo)
AMS

its very common to do over 500 dmg,

Firstly STD 255 is the max you can fit there, not to mention you have **** load of weapons and ammo there. I'd like to see in smurfys builder to see just how you made that work.

#8 BloodTzar

• Pip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:34 AM

Yeah u are right, I am sorry, I ment the standard one. I believe its STD 210 not 280. My mistake.

Moreover by shitload of ammo I ment MAX u can get there.

~BT

#9 Parappaman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:08 AM

Quad AC2 makes a nice noise but I still can't see it as an effective alternative to dual AC10s. That makes me recommend the XL255 to fit more ammo and a large laser. Survivability is quite similar, the huge center torso hit zone means it will blow up just as easily as the side torsos, but at least you will have a chance to get cover with the slightly better maneuverability over the std 210.

#10 Wrenchfarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:09 AM

I would think all the AC2s and any kind of LLAS (let alone pulse) would make you overheat fast. Not sure what the plan is there.

View PostTheNoobLord, on 11 January 2013 - 08:43 PM, said:

That build is leaving me kind of cold. I put 2xUAC on my Phract-3D, but with 4xMLAS, more speed, and jumpjets to boot. Granted this build has more ammo and a SRM4, but I think I'd rather have the lasers and manoeuvrability.

The 4X is very hard to build for. I feel like you have to take advantage of the ballistics slots or you might as well have taken any other Phract. I used to roll a 2xUAC5, 2xAC5. It was VERY slow, but could pile on the hurt. Of course, I wasn't running with an XL engine so I imagine you probably squeeze more speed out of it if you were willing to shell out the cash. Possibly a lighter load out like quad AC5s or a mix of AC5s and AC2s might work?

If you ask me, it's a mess of a mech to build for. Not heavy enough for all the weapons you want to mount, and you end up with ammo all over the place just waiting to be cooked off. I'd recommend a 3D or (if you have the cash) a Muromets instead. But seeing as you already have the 4X, you might as well devote yourself to the dakka and find something that uses at least three of those ballistic slots.

#11 twibs

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:35 PM

MGs and AC/10s, match made in heaven, I tell you.

Chassis: CTF-4X
Firepower: 39
Heat Efficiency: 1.22
Engine: Std. 250
Jump Jets: N/A
Upgrades: ES, DHS(, Artemis)

Weapons:
2x AC/10
2x MG
2x MLAS
1x SSRM2

Ammo:
3t AC/10
1t SSRM
1t MG
Heat Sinks: 12 Double
Armor: 400

Just test. At least I love it.

Edited by twibs, 14 January 2013 - 04:39 PM.

#12 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,880 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:04 PM

There's nothing heavenly about machine guns. Yet.

One comment... If you're fielding a cataphract and its not moving fast (or much at all if its long range support), then an XL engine won't hurt you. The center torso is so easy to hit on a cataphract that you will nearly ALWAYS lose it before you'll get a side torso breach.

#13 twibs

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:04 PM

I dropped out nothing I cannot live with. AMS maybe but that's debatable.

And if nothing else at lest they work as laser sights for my AC/10.

PS. I've cored XL atlas with the MGs. Sweet sweet tears.

Edited by twibs, 14 January 2013 - 06:12 PM.

#14 Limekiller

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:53 AM

I'm actually rather fond of the 4x build I'm currently running right now:

CTF-4X

2 gauss rifles (5 tons total ammo, giving me 25 shots for the paired weapons)
2 medium lasers
streak SRM2 (1 ton)
AMS (1 ton)

No mech out there is going to like 30 damage to 1 location repeatedly. The gauss isn't great vs small mechs, but the streak & mediums give you some ability there, and if you ever DO hit with the gausses on something small, it's basically toast. I also basically never need to think about heat, either. The only time I've ever even come close to overheating is when I was spamming the medium lasers while I was in the middle of the caldera in caustic. So far, the XL hasn't been too big an issue, overall. Had a couple deaths due to it when I wasn't being as careful as I should have been, but on the whole it's been fine.

The only thing I'd love to be able to squeeze in is 1 more ton of gauss ammo, as I have occasionally run dry in long matches, but there's nothing I would be willing to cut to do it, really.

Edited by Limekiller, 15 January 2013 - 02:56 AM.

#15 Monaco335

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:44 PM

I'm running 2 uac5, 2 ac5, 5 tons of uac5 and 3 tons of ac5 on an xl235 engine (some armor pulled from legs. no one shoots CTF legs anyways). Manage the weapon jams and people go wtf when they die.

#16 0Life

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:48 PM

I currently roll with quad AC5 (the UAC5 would cost me ammo if I ran four, or even two due to the extra ton of weight), the STD210 it cam with and an AMS with 1 ton of ammo for it, and a pair of extra heat sinks. My heat profile is 1.45 in the mechlab, and I carry around 120 rounds for my AC5s.

Am I slow? Yeah. Do Lights cause me heartburn? Yes they do. But when I can stand back and hammer 20 damage alphas constantly at range (I am close fire support rather than trying to max range or brawl) the lights tend to not notice me unless my team is getting ripped apart.

Can I hit the Lights with my AC5s? Yes, I have legged more than a few with a couple of salvos and killed a few as well. Your best asset is because of your greatest weakness. The slow speed allows for smooth firing and lining up your shots really well. I find myself ripping parts off of mechs all the time (especially Catapults of all kinds) and making them regret engaging me. Even if I die, they still have some broken ribs.

This is, also, in part, due to my play style. I aggressively advance and am known for pulling my team with me, and I never stop moving. Once I have the free cash for a 3D or Marmot, (likely the 3D though) I cannot wait to put to full use the JJs on it. JJs on anything but a Spider are not for gaining height anymore. Forget about standing atop a building and being a target like that, use them to turn faster. A trick I picked up piloting a Spider.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users