Missile Flaps (Question)

14 replies to this topic

#1 phanteh

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:37 PM

Hi all,

I've recently been having a lot of fun in a Stalker with 2xLL and 4xSRM6. I read somewhere about how it lacks a cockpit indicator for the missile flaps, as you get in a Catapult, which I'm guessing explains why sometimes the missiles coming from the arms are delayed compared to the front launchers.

Then I noticed a button in the control bindings to open flaps manually.

So, as it doesn't have an indicator:

If I open the flaps, do they stay open, forever?

If not, is it a per salvo thing, or is there an inactivity timer or similar?

Cheers!

#2 M4rtyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 691 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:51 PM

I'm guessing here, but maybe it doesn't have weapon bay doors? Like I wanted to close the doors on my Hunchback, I hit the key and it does nothing. And when you look at the mech in the lab, well it has no cover for the launchers. So some have that benefit and some don't I guess.

#3 phanteh

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:55 PM

Pretty sure the Stalker has flaps over the arm-mounted missile pods. By default, it's LRM's in the arms, SRM's in the torso.

Edit:

In the Stalker feedback thread, the lack of flap indication is noted.

Edited by phanteh, 11 January 2013 - 09:03 PM.

#4 MagicHamsta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:07 PM

Me suggest that you look around the cockpit.
To the left and right, there be bay door indicators.
(The default PoV settings leave the bay lights out of view unless you twist around in the cockpit.)

#5 FerrolupisXIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 502 posts
  • LocationCatapult Cockpit

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:28 PM

i can confirm it has indicators, they're in the same place as a catapult's indicators. and they do work now!

#6 Ascendent

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:29 PM

When you open them they stay open until you press the button again to close them. You will notice the arm and torso launchers firing together. Keeping the doors open removes the firing delay but decreases the arms damage resistance (armor) by (I think) 15%. When closed the damage resistance returns to normal.

#7 0Life

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:24 AM

What exactly do the flaps do? Other than slow your shot if they are closed.

#8 Ascendent

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:04 AM

View Post0Life, on 12 January 2013 - 12:24 AM, said:

What exactly do the flaps do? Other than slow your shot if they are closed.

It protects your missile bays from damage. Hence the armor penalty when keeping them open. I know one could argue that those designed without bay doors then should be more fragile. But that's its own discussion.

#9 Budor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:29 AM

Its the small lights on the struts to your left and right. They turn to green from yellow once you open the bay doors and to red once your launchers are destroyed.

#10 Broceratops

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:30 AM

12% less damage taken when bay doors are closed on those areas. According to some stuff I read somewhere around here.

#11 Frank the Tank

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:20 AM

View PostAscendent, on 11 January 2013 - 11:29 PM, said:

When you open them they stay open until you press the button again to close them. You will notice the arm and torso launchers firing together. Keeping the doors open removes the firing delay but decreases the arms damage resistance (armor) by (I think) 15%. When closed the damage resistance returns to normal.

I believe its a damage resistance for the components inside the arms, not damage resistance for the armor on the outside.

#12 Ascendent

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:45 AM

View PostFrank the Tank, on 12 January 2013 - 09:20 AM, said:

I believe its a damage resistance for the components inside the arms, not damage resistance for the armor on the outside.

The other threads I have read on this topic did not have a consensus on this topic either. But as a general rule most agree leaving missile bay flaps open makes you slightly more vulnerable. To OP, there have been numerous threads on the issue. See http://mwomercs.com/...e+doors++damage. Also check http://mwomercs.com/...ile-doors-open/ 4th post by DirePhoenix. He quoted Aug. 28th patch notes: "Closed weapon bay doors on Catapult and Centurion provide a 10% damage resistance for that component." Don't know if it has changed since.

#13 Stingz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • Location*SIGNAL LOST*

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:11 PM

View PostAscendent, on 12 January 2013 - 10:45 AM, said:

"Closed weapon bay doors on Catapult and Centurion provide a 10% damage resistance for that component." Don't know if it has changed since.

It's noticeably harder to blow off parts with closed flaps. Leaving them open though means no delay when firing, better for long ranged fights.

Flaps take about 1-3 seconds to open, and it's very annoying when spamming LRMs.

#14 0Life

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:26 PM

Interesting, thanks for cluing me in. I always wondered what the point of the flaps were as I assumed they were not just cosmetic.

#15 phanteh

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:59 PM

Cheers guys!

Nice to see that there's a point to the flaps, rather than it being a delay or no-delay option...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users