Help Me Buy A Medium

21 replies to this topic

#1 Lennex

• PipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 36 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:25 PM

I'm having a blast, and finally have some variants that I love playing and can roll with on a regular basis. I'm currently favoring the Ravens (2X 3L) , Flame, Awesome (9M), and Atlas (founders)

But I have no medium in my stable and I would like to roll with one, but don't know what the best one to run with is. I see a lot of 4SP's out there, so I'm thinking thats a popular machine.

To give you an idea my builds:

2x: AMS, XL SRM4, 3 M laser, ER Large, XL 220.

3L: 3 Medium laser, 2 SSRM 2, XL 210, ECM, Beagle

9M: 4 Medium laser, 2 ER PPC, SRM 6, standard 300, 19 DHS (currently my best mech. and it's a Warhammer copy....)

Flame: 4 Medium lasers, 1 Gauss, 1 SRM 6 XL320, 13 DHS

7D: 2 medium lasers, 2 ER Large, 2 AC5, AMS, LRM10 Std 300, 16 DHS

I prefer speed, Don't like going under 60kph. I prefer to be around 70kph. I usually usually like to take a weave in and out of buildings kind of method to my play style, which is why I love my Ravens and Flame so much. Or I will take on a sniper role with the 9M or 7D, where I can still defend myself at close range when needed.

I do not like the Centurions, I had the Wang, and the 9A. I also don't like the Cicada a whole lot. Speeds great, but the weapon hardpoints wasn't giving me much. My best Ciciada build was 2 PPC's.

So I think I could try a AL Cent, or one of the hunchies?

#2 Budor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:45 PM

If you like the Flame in your config you will like the 4SP. 4SP was my favorite mech until they introduced the Flame.

http://mwomercs.com/...lp-with-my-4sp/ recent thread discussing the standard config (buffed).

If you like to stay on the move nonstop the CN9-AL is like the worse version of the 4SP. Pretty much what the DRG-1C is to the Flame.

The CN9-A is at least different, 2x energy 3x missile...

Edited by Budor, 10 January 2013 - 04:49 PM.

#3 Jungle Rhino

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 579 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:48 PM

If you don't like the CN9-A or YLW then I can't help you much as I love both of them!!

But a AL build I find effective is: CN9-AL

The ERLL is great to pester things as the fight develops before swinging into action for some close range action with the SRMs/ML. The key thing with meds is that you don't have the lag shield of a light but neither the armour of an assault. But you tend to get ignored a lot if there are more immediate concerns. Use that to your advantage.

The Cent has some significant advantages of the hunch - primarily the massive arms that you can use to soak up damage. Particularly the left 'shield' one. A cent can take a real beating if you drive it right and spread the damage over all your hit locations. It is also almost impossible to get cored out withuot losing other limbs/locaitons - typically in a game you will lose your left arm first, then either right arm or left torso, whatever way you look at it you will soak a real beating. Of course if you get isolated and focussed you go down like anyone else but in a close turning battle or gun duel it is hard for the enemy to target your components if you drive defensively.

Also while some people will say "blah bla right arm gets shot off blah blah" this just isn't the case if you keep it protected, which is fairly easy when you are going at 80.2kmph with a good torso twist. Also the bulk of your firepower is often located in your left torso. I only run the 10SRMs as there are only 10 missle tubes and I like having them all fly out at once. But the CN9-A is often used with 3 SRM6s which is a heck of a lot of cowbell if you get up behind someone.

#4 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:57 PM

The only medium mech I use is the CN9-A.

2 medium lasers, 3 SRM6 w/ artemis. With a 225 STD engine, it goes 80kph when speed tweaked, and delivers a 55 damage alpha strike. It zombies like a BOSS as well... if its just an armless, shoulderless, 1 legged mech, it STILL has 2 medium lasers it can fire. Its very durable for its weight class, much more so than the hunchback. The other mech i would consider buying is of course the HBK-4SP, but because its play is so similar to the CN9-A, I've never bothered with it.

#5 Wrenchfarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:25 PM

I love Cents and Hunchies. The Cicada 3M isn't all that bad once you get used to it.

I highly recommend a CN9-AL with 2 LLAS in the arm and 2 MLAS in the chest. Very simple, deceptively deadly. I also like mixing it up with LRMs and a TAG in the arm for a little variety, but it can take some getting used to to make that build gel.

I've been thinking of picking up another CN9-A. I sold mine with a heavy heart a long time ago to make room for other mechs. Since I've sold out and bought extra garage space, I would love to try it again and experiment with some of the amazing builds I've seen posted lately. It seems like quite the little killer in the right hands. The CN9-D is also attractive, and you can always use the accompanying XL300 for other mechs (it fits a catapult quite nicely).

The HBK-4SP is the poster child of medium mechs. The shinning star of the 50 ton weight class, you simply can't go wrong with a 250STD, 2 SRM6s and at least 4 MLAS. You can also add on an extra head laser or TAG to milk extra points.

Don't write off the Cicada. I realize that since you have two RVN, the idea might not be as appealing, but the 3M makes a wonderful ECM support mech with a 320XL, 4MLAS, 16 DHS and near max armour. Never overheat, do a 20 point alpha on every mech's back. Remember, when you spawn as a medium, the other team gets a medium. What do you think is more likely, another ECM 3M (a somewhat rare and underused mech) or a dumpy trial CN9-D? Play those odds.

#6 BerryChunks

Dezgra

• 1,000 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:33 PM

View PostLennex, on 10 January 2013 - 04:25 PM, said:

I'm having a blast, and finally have some variants that I love playing and can roll with on a regular basis. I'm currently favoring the Ravens (2X 3L) , Flame, Awesome (9M), and Atlas (founders)

But I have no medium in my stable and I would like to roll with one, but don't know what the best one to run with is. I see a lot of 4SP's out there, so I'm thinking thats a popular machine.

To give you an idea my builds:

2x: AMS, XL SRM4, 3 M laser, ER Large, XL 220.

3L: 3 Medium laser, 2 SSRM 2, XL 210, ECM, Beagle

9M: 4 Medium laser, 2 ER PPC, SRM 6, standard 300, 19 DHS (currently my best mech. and it's a Warhammer copy....)

Flame: 4 Medium lasers, 1 Gauss, 1 SRM 6 XL320, 13 DHS

7D: 2 medium lasers, 2 ER Large, 2 AC5, AMS, LRM10 Std 300, 16 DHS

I prefer speed, Don't like going under 60kph. I prefer to be around 70kph. I usually usually like to take a weave in and out of buildings kind of method to my play style, which is why I love my Ravens and Flame so much. Or I will take on a sniper role with the 9M or 7D, where I can still defend myself at close range when needed.

I do not like the Centurions, I had the Wang, and the 9A. I also don't like the Cicada a whole lot. Speeds great, but the weapon hardpoints wasn't giving me much. My best Ciciada build was 2 PPC's.

So I think I could try a AL Cent, or one of the hunchies?

you want to weave in and out of buildings at 70 kph, oversize your engine to 81 kph so you can slow down to 70 and then you have faster turning.

#7 Stingz

• 1,159 posts
  • Location*SIGNAL LOST*

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:42 PM

The Centurion is ok, but it's model is about as big as an Atlas.

I have used both the -AL and -4SP, CN9-AL for ranged fights/walking stick, HBK-4SP for close-range blow-your-face-off power.

Edited by Stingz, 11 January 2013 - 04:38 AM.

#8 Demoned

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 670 posts
  • Locationi Died went to heaven, then died again now I'm in Equestria

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:46 PM

Hunch Back HBK-4SP no one and i mean NO ONE!

says they regret buying the 4SP.

you like the Flame, you'll bloody fall in love with the 4SP :)

Edited by Demoned, 10 January 2013 - 07:46 PM.

#9 Krazy Kat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:17 PM

Brawler advice:

My favorite medium is the HBK-4SP. Fairly fast brawler. 4ML and 2 ASRM6.

If you want a really fast brawler the CN9-D can be way fast with an XL engine (over 100 KPH) one big AC/10 or LBX, and 2 ML, and your choice for missiles.

#10 Shaddie

• PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:24 PM

Gotta agree with Krazy Kat - I love my CN9-D and yes, I run it fast with an XL

I currently use
1 AC5 and one UAC 5
2 Streaks (for those pesky lights - could swap for SRMs if you want)
and 2 medium laser (of course)

Double HS and Endo help out

Just keep in mind your XL and learn to twist the right ways to mitigate if possible

#11 Indolo

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:06 AM

What everyone says about the 4SP is true. It's a great mech. I run it with 5 MLAS, AMS, 255 engine and bounce between SRM 4s 6s and streaks depending on mood. The 4s feel tighter than the 6s, and the streaks generally feel weak. It's been a while since I've played the 4SP though. Working up other mechs.

The 4P can be lots of fun too if you love lasers. 9 MLAS runs hot (18 double heatsinks), but I usually blast with with either the center 7 or the 2 arms and save the alpha for the really good shots.

Haven't tried Cents yet. Really like my Cicada 2A, but wish it had missile points. The 3M feels weak with just the 4 energy points. Much more of a support mech (spotting, countering, providing ecm coverage, etc).

#12 Lennex

• PipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 36 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:58 AM

leaning toward the 4SP now. I'm pretty close to having enough C-bills to buy another awesome, and I would like to unlock elite levels for my 9M.... so this may go back burner. But I would love to try out a new chassis. :)

#13 Lennex

• PipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 36 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:23 PM

bought a 4SP. Sunk a lot of money into it too. but I like it so far.

HBK-4SP

Not exactly a heat efficient mech, but fun to field.

2 LPulse, 2 Mpulse, 2 SRM4, XL 255, 11 DHS, endo, and ferro, max armor, 2 tons ammo

Deals a ton of damage, can keep it relatively cool by choosing your shots, and using the SRM's and Mpulse as the 2 primary weapons, leaving the Lpulse for when you see the whites of their eyes so to speak. It's fast too! 83kph and with the turning perk it's been very fun to pilot. As fast as my RVN-4X, but with the firepower of my AWS-9M

Taken this out on a few matches so far, and averaging 350 damage or so.

#14 Sennin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 459 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:46 PM

View PostLennex, on 11 January 2013 - 06:23 PM, said:

bought a 4SP. Sunk a lot of money into it too. but I like it so far.

HBK-4SP

Not exactly a heat efficient mech, but fun to field.

2 LPulse, 2 Mpulse, 2 SRM4, XL 255, 11 DHS, endo, and ferro, max armor, 2 tons ammo

Deals a ton of damage, can keep it relatively cool by choosing your shots, and using the SRM's and Mpulse as the 2 primary weapons, leaving the Lpulse for when you see the whites of their eyes so to speak. It's fast too! 83kph and with the turning perk it's been very fun to pilot. As fast as my RVN-4X, but with the firepower of my AWS-9M

Taken this out on a few matches so far, and averaging 350 damage or so.

You might average more damage a match if you dropped the 2 LPL's down to MPL's and alot of DHS. 11 DHS is not nearly enough. I have a Cicada that runs 4MPL's w/ 16 DHS and it still gets hot but it's usable because of them.

#15 TygerLily

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:06 PM

I think the Hunchback 4SP or the Centurion 9A would be up your alley. You posted lots of lasers and SRM combos.

Hunchy:
4SP is fun with 260 standard, 5 small lasers and two artemis SRM 6s (Or 4 medium lasers and two SRM 4s). With speed tweak you're going 92kph (and no fragile XL).

Centurion:
9A is cool. Three SRM 6s and two medium lasers. Also with a 260 standard. Bonus is, with the missle slots in the left torso, and energy points in the center, you can be missing both arms and a right torso and still have full weapon capabilities! People call it the zombie mech...

#16 Lennex

• PipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 36 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:23 PM

View PostSennin, on 11 January 2013 - 06:46 PM, said:

You might average more damage a match if you dropped the 2 LPL's down to MPL's and alot of DHS. 11 DHS is not nearly enough. I have a Cicada that runs 4MPL's w/ 16 DHS and it still gets hot but it's usable because of them.

I'm going to try that. Gonna build it like this HBK-4SP

upgrade one of the SRM racks to a 6, add AMS. See how that does.

#17 Xiang

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 242 posts
  • LocationTrying desperately to get behind you for an Alpha Strike!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:25 PM

Any hunchback with a 260 STD engine will get you to 85+ KPH (over 91 KPH once you have speed tweak).

I personally like the 4P with 9 medium lasers.....so fun to chain fire those.
I also like the 4SP with 5 ML and 2 SRM6
Lastly...anything with an AC20......gotta love that big BOOM!

Xiang

Edited by Xiang, 11 January 2013 - 07:26 PM.

#18 Sennin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 459 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:50 PM

View PostLennex, on 11 January 2013 - 07:23 PM, said:

I'm going to try that. Gonna build it like this HBK-4SP

upgrade one of the SRM racks to a 6, add AMS. See how that does.

If you are going to run this build do yourself a favor and drop the SRM-6 to an SRM 4 with 1 more ton of ammo so you have 25 shots per match with your SRMs rather than only 10.

Another way would be to drop the AMS, take a half ton of armor of the legs and upgrade the SRM-4 to an SRM-6 w/ 1 ton of ammo. You get a little more firepower and more ammo overall without the AMS. You already run 90kph, if your not using cover to dodge LRM's your doing it wrong.

#19 Lennex

• PipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 36 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:29 PM

View PostSennin, on 11 January 2013 - 07:50 PM, said:

If you are going to run this build do yourself a favor and drop the SRM-6 to an SRM 4 with 1 more ton of ammo so you have 25 shots per match with your SRMs rather than only 10.

Another way would be to drop the AMS, take a half ton of armor of the legs and upgrade the SRM-4 to an SRM-6 w/ 1 ton of ammo. You get a little more firepower and more ammo overall without the AMS. You already run 90kph, if your not using cover to dodge LRM's your doing it wrong.

I didn't end up going with this build. and mostly for the fact I couldn't afford to go back to standard armor and structure knowing I may want to go back to the endo/ferro to mount the Lpulse.

So I built it like this: HBK-4SP

4 medium pulse, 2 SRM 4, 1 ton of ammo, no ams, 12 DHS

I find I'm quick enough to hide so I won't get rained on. I usually stick like glue to a ECM Atlas if I can, so that helps against missile barrages too. The 12 DHS was enough to keep me cool, aside from the time I dropped on Caustic. But I wasn't breaking 300 damage in 4 matches, even with 4-5 assists and kill or two.

went back to the original load out I posted with 2 L pulse, 2 M pulse, and I find I manage my heat well enough that I'm fine. only ran into a few overheats, and once overheated myself into oblivion. Which was fun, but a learning experience... did 400 damage that match tho... need at least 2 tons of SRM ammo to make it effective.

I'm loving the SP. the speed and firepower is insane, and I find I get ignored a lot, which I like to utilize by alpha striking an Atlas or Stalker in the behind.

#20 Grey Black

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 480 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:40 AM

Your best bet for a medium given your options stated would be the Cicada, especially the ECM cicada. It's much faster than a Centi or a Hunchie, packs a great punch, has ECM, and is FAST. Seriously, when I say fast, I mean Mach 3 out of the box. It's on the light side of medium, yes, but still a great mech.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users