22 replies to this topic

#1 Cleverbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 274 posts
  • LocationFeel Good Inc.

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:54 PM

I was browsing for a new engine for my 9M, when I noticed these both have the same weight. Is this intended, or a an error?

#2 Rocket Puppy

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 97 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:55 PM

Its intended.

#3 Soy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,689 posts
  • Locationtrue Lord system

A lot of the times when you see engines that have same weight but one is like, rated 5 points above...

...I think that is where they planned for certain mechs to have cutoffs for engine size limits, etc.

Maybe I'm wrong, but that would make sense.

#4 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Must be an error.

I'd recommend against anything bigger then a 360XL …

#5 Soy

• 3,689 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

I'd recommend nothing below 360 for the 9M.

#6 Cleverbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 274 posts
  • LocationFeel Good Inc.

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:57 PM

But... I want to go fast!

I even painted my 9M red, because red ones go faster

#7 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

View PostGoose, on 12 January 2013 - 04:55 PM, said:

Must be an error.

I'd recommend against anything bigger then a 360XL …

But the 375 holds one more Heat sink Man!

#8 Violette

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Locationhere and there

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

For the 9M, use the XL 385. You can still put tremendous firepower and heatsinkery on it, and with speed tweak you'll be moving at 85.8kph, easily able to keep up with dragons and the like if you're a decent pilot.

My favourite 9M build so far alpha strikes for 55 points of damage and can do so almost continuously, as it has 23 double heatsinks (the XL 385 can fit five extra heatsinks in itself...) The Awesome is an easy target, so you want to be able to move and twist to avoid concentrated damage, especially to your side torso areas. I would never compromise on this.

That's weird about the engines weighing the same though. I blame engine gnomes. A few got into the XL 375, making it weigh as much as an XL 380. That is my diagnosis.

Edited by Violette, 12 January 2013 - 05:03 PM.

#9 Cleverbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 274 posts
  • LocationFeel Good Inc.

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:07 PM

View PostViolette, on 12 January 2013 - 05:02 PM, said:

For the 9M, use the XL 385. You can still put tremendous firepower and heatsinkery on it, and with speed tweak you'll be moving at 85.8kph, easily able to keep up with dragons and the like if you're a decent pilot.

My favourite 9M build so far alpha strikes for 55 points of damage and can do so almost continuously, as it has 23 double heatsinks (the XL 385 can fit five extra heatsinks in itself...) The Awesome is an easy target, so you want to be able to move and twist to avoid concentrated damage, especially to your side torso areas. I would never compromise on this.

That's weird about the engines weighing the same though. I blame engine gnomes. A few got into the XL 375, making it weigh as much as an XL 380. That is my diagnosis.

Might I ask what build you're running? I've been fiddling around on smurfy for a bit now, just seeing if I can create a viable build... Fun stuff, I like how you can do so much with a 9M

#10 Soy

• 3,689 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:14 PM

Clever, perhaps try using this as a springboard -

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...7b12d678bf36718

Not my personal 9M, but you get the idea with the 385...

#11 Taizan

Com Guard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts
  • LocationGalatea (NRW)

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:18 PM

View PostCleverbird, on 12 January 2013 - 05:07 PM, said:

Might I ask what build you're running? I've been fiddling around on smurfy for a bit now, just seeing if I can create a viable build... Fun stuff, I like how you can do so much with a 9M

Some variation of this probably
2 LL
1 MPL
3 SRM-4 / 3 Tons
AMS / 1 Ton
XL Engine 385
20 DHS

#12 Broceratops

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:19 PM

a lot of xl's have the same weight when you go to the next tier.

#13 Violette

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Locationhere and there

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:19 PM

View PostCleverbird, on 12 January 2013 - 05:07 PM, said:

Mmm yes, actually I'd like to see how others fare with it. I am doing very well, but no one else seems to use this build. It's a fairly specialized brawler build, meant to close in, outmaneuver, and output largeish alpha strikes constantly.

XL385, 23 double heatsinks, four medium lasers, two srm4s, one srm6 (I am not giving locations because to fit them all you can only arrange them one way), five tons of srm ammo (500srms, four tons in legs, one ton in right arm), max upper body / torso / arm / head armor, mildly reduced leg armor (45 points each, can be maxed for less srm ammo or less heatsinks.) No AMS, use skill and cover instead to avoid LRMs or mitigate damage.

Try it out! I used to do endosteel arrangements on 9Ms, but the heat won't work as well that way, even if you can fit a few large lasers. Not worth it, especially at the speed an XL385 gives ya! :D

Edited by Violette, 12 January 2013 - 05:20 PM.

#14 Soy

• 3,689 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:26 PM

Neat build Violette; the way you discuss the 9M I can tell you've given it a thorough examination and found it to be worthwhile.

Huzzah!

#15 Violette

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Locationhere and there

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:27 PM

View PostSoy, on 12 January 2013 - 05:26 PM, said:

Neat build Violette; the way you discuss the 9M I can tell you've given it a thorough examination and found it to be worthwhile.

Huzzah!

Aww, thankie, Soy!

#16 Cleverbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 274 posts
  • LocationFeel Good Inc.

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:29 PM

View PostSoy, on 12 January 2013 - 05:14 PM, said:

Clever, perhaps try using this as a springboard -

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...7b12d678bf36718

Not my personal 9M, but you get the idea with the 385...

Not a big fan of Endo Steel on my Awesome, it really limits what I can put in it (and I do like to switch around a lot)

View PostViolette, on 12 January 2013 - 05:19 PM, said:

Mmm yes, actually I'd like to see how others fare with it. I am doing very well, but no one else seems to use this build. It's a fairly specialized brawler build, meant to close in, outmaneuver, and output largeish alpha strikes constantly.

XL385, 23 double heatsinks, four medium lasers, two srm4s, one srm6 (I am not giving locations because to fit them all you can only arrange them one way), five tons of srm ammo (500srms, four tons in legs, one ton in right arm), max upper body / torso / arm / head armor, mildly reduced leg armor (45 points each, can be maxed for less srm ammo or less heatsinks.) No AMS, use skill and cover instead to avoid LRMs or mitigate damage.

Try it out! I used to do endosteel arrangements on 9Ms, but the heat won't work as well that way, even if you can fit a few large lasers. Not worth it, especially at the speed an XL385 gives ya! :D

That build looks like a lot of fun! I'm still saving up for my XL385 engine (god, its expensive), But I'm bookmarking that build on Smurfy. I did lower my leg armor to 37 and slapped on an AMS + 1t of ammo, because I mostly PUG and dont want to assume we have ECM.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...64d341b4d746f1d

#17 Violette

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Locationhere and there

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:32 PM

View PostCleverbird, on 12 January 2013 - 05:29 PM, said:

That build looks like a lot of fun! I'm still saving up for my XL385 engine (god, its expensive), But I'm bookmarking that build on Smurfy. I did lower my leg armor to 37 and slapped on an AMS + 1t of ammo, because I mostly PUG and dont want to assume we have ECM.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...64d341b4d746f1d

Mm, good point, Clever. I drop almost exclusively with pre-mades now, so there's usually ECM or at the very least someone to hunt down and kill that durn lrm boat. AMS is more important in pugs, hadn't thought of that...

I have occasionally been targetted in the legs, but not that often. 37 should still be okay, in most situations.

Edited by Violette, 12 January 2013 - 05:33 PM.

#18 Soy

• 3,689 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:37 PM

If you pug a lot Clever, the head TAG would really help your teammates.

Yeah Endo does limit the 9M a lot but if you whittle down a build you like, you may find it necessary to keep it running as fast/cool/powerful as you'd like.

9M has horrible hardpoint layouts, requires DHS, requires [in my opinion] XL, at that point crit slots come into question and if you're building something that requires more than a handful of crit slots then upgrades [except DHS which is 100% needed] are basically off the table at that point.

Edited by Soy, 12 January 2013 - 05:37 PM.

#19 Cleverbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 274 posts
  • LocationFeel Good Inc.

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:50 PM

Yeah, an XL engine is a must... A slow Awesome is a dead awesome.
I'm ruing the day I have to get basic skills for 2 other variants

Anyway, thanks for the help!

#20 Johnny Reb

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,945 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio. However, I hate the Suckeyes!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:00 PM

I use the xl380 with my awesome to great effect. With endo I fit 3 LL and 3 streak launchers.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users