Hire Wandering Samurai Studio!

22 replies to this topic

#1 FrupertApricot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 669 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:34 PM

MWLL just dried up, but it was on a cryengine (older one) and they have tons of excellent map assets and people who have experience working on a battletech property. IGP should hire up some of those guys and get them working on converting/repopulating with stuff maps for MWO. That would be the biggest coup that would raise spirits and stop the sadforums so hard.

#2 Kunae

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,303 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:35 PM

http://mwomercs.com/...51#entry1748351

Russ Bullock said:

Hey Everyone,

I know you haven't seen much of me lately, was pretty busy with the holiday season and a new baby in the family. I hope you will see more of me on the forums and in game soon.

Here is what I know.

Did we send a cease and desist letter? no we did not.

At GDC 2012 I met with the mod leadership which of course happens to work at Crytek so we see each other pretty much every trade show, great guy. At this GDC in casual unscripted conversation I asked him "why are we splitting the community at this point?" We both realized that the MWLL community was small and it really wasn't competing with MWO but still each time a feature was added to MWLL that was in MWO it felt as though we were doubling up effort to restore this great brand.

I expressed that we were not trying to shut anyone down but asked him how we might meld the two communities better and even look to possibly hire on any great talent what was in that project. ( Hey MWLL guys send in those resumes ) For a long time the IP was in the wind and MWLL is one of those games that really kept MW on peoples minds so the project and the individuals have our utmost respect.

We discussed this topic for a little while but again it was friendly and there was no threats of shutting the mod down just more of a sense of "Why are we doubling up efforts here?". After the show he contacted me expressing that they really wanted to finish what they started with MWLL and had a set of features that they would like to get done and asked if that was okay with PGI. They presented a very professional plan on the remaining work they wanted to complete and stated after that it would be time to stop production on MWLL. I thanked them for the plan and said that it all sounded great.

Now today's news comes and I can only assume that this last patch represents the final features from that presentation they gave me. I will reach out to my MWLL contact and confirm that this is true and have a conversation, if there are any updates we will let you know.

Again there was no combative relationship between MWO and MWLL, nor was there a cease and desist letter given.

Thanks.

Edited by Kunae, 16 January 2013 - 02:23 PM.

#3 Protoculture

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:40 PM

View PostKunae, on 16 January 2013 - 01:35 PM, said:

I hope they follow through with that. Good find.

#4 Phalanx100bc

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 242 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:44 PM

A braintrust of resources waiting to be tapped....... Buy those MC credits kids...they needs hirin' money!!!

#5 BatWing

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 337 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:44 PM

For MWO and our community would be just awesome if artists and programmers from MWLL would join with PGI to continue something that would be great for everyone.

I so hope common sense will prevail and good things will happen after this...

#6 Kain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • LocationZenith-Jumppoint, Tukayyid

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:57 PM

It would indeed be good if they join forces.

Let them at least run the communications and forums replies, they know how important the community is for a game, because they did it completely indie, and were not backed by a lot of cash.

I think they can reuse the maps, the ingame voice chats and a lot more probably.

#7 Oy of MidWorld

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 607 posts
  • LocationEutin Prime, -222.66:151.22

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:05 PM

View PostFrupertApricot, on 16 January 2013 - 01:34 PM, said:

MWLL just dried up, but it was on a cryengine (older one) and they have tons of excellent map assets and people who have experience working on a battletech property. IGP should hire up some of those guys and get them working on converting/repopulating with stuff maps for MWO. That would be the biggest coup that would raise spirits and stop the sadforums so hard.

One cannot stress this enough! The Wandering Samurai guys would probably even be okay with bringing some assets into the game with them... Like already existing, amazing maps. Don't know how hard converting them to Cryengine 3 would be, but I'd certainly love to see them in MWO.

Kind of sad too, had some good times in Living Legends.

Edited by Oy of MidWorld, 16 January 2013 - 02:06 PM.

#8 FrupertApricot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 669 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:12 PM

Hell also take their radar implementation code hahaha. The active passive/levels of ECM/Enhanced sensors really created a realistic and fun sense of "sensor warfare" like you get in naval simulators. Nice to have stuff to manage when you are not in contact with the enemy

#9 EyeOne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,488 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationCockpit, Stone Rhino

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:16 PM

I hope they hire a bunch of them. Should do the game good.

...maybe we keep our artists though. B)

#10 Chavette

• Little Helper
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:20 PM

PGI is hiring, and anyone can see for themselves they need more manpower,

make it happen!!!

#11 FrupertApricot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 669 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:22 PM

simple. Wandering samurai handle clan mechs, PGI IS since honestly MWLL is all omnis lol. God knows we gave em the capital!

#12 F lan Ker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • LocationArctic Circle

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:50 PM

S!

Merging would bring real benefits to MechWarrior fans. As an example 2 game studios, Maddox Games and 777 Studios, merged their teams to create a new WW2 flight sim instead of competing. Sure more than that behind the decision, but now they have a strong team working on the new title. The simulators are not mainstream or hottest AAA, but have their loyal audince just like BattleTech has. So why not a joint-op/merging/hiring spree to bring gamers THE BattleTech Experience we have been missing for so long B)

#13 Pr8Dator

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,306 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSeoul, Korea

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:00 PM

Fantastic news! Its really silly to reinvent the wheel everytime someone takes on the MW franchise. Merge the communities and I am sure MWO will take the next leap forward... time to buy some more MC!

#14 Pok Gai

Clone

• PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:04 PM

I doubt that would happen, some of the MW:LL people are very upset with what PGI did to them.

Posted Image
Posted Image

They never worked for the money in the first place, I doubt they would work for someone that they percieve to have shafted them. You could tell from their final announcement they were true hardcore fans to MW though. MW:LL wasn't that popular in the end but PGI has now given it martyr status through it's actions.

Edited by Pok Gai, 16 January 2013 - 03:09 PM.

#15 Nathiel Surefire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • LocationQuantum State

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:07 PM

View PostEyeOne, on 16 January 2013 - 02:16 PM, said:

...maybe we keep our artists though. B)

The MWO concept artist (Alex, aka "FlyingDebris") worked on both, actually. He was the MW:LL concept artist before getting hired by PGI.

I'm hoping everything settles down and the discussions about this whole thing become a bit more rational soon, though. I'm sad to see MW:LL leave, but hope the best for both sets of developers.

#16 pcunite

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

It would be cool. The look/sim of MWO with the ideas MWLL had ... seems perfect.

#17 Chavette

• Little Helper
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:09 PM

View PostPok Gai, on 16 January 2013 - 03:04 PM, said:

I doubt that would happen, some of the MW:LL people are very upset with what PGI did to them.

Fortunately those aren't the devs who are that childish to go off badmouthing...

Reminds me of the "fact" that all brothers of children who get trolled on gary's mod magically work at steam and ban people on request. B)

Edited by Chavette, 16 January 2013 - 04:14 PM.

#18 VyperWraith

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:29 PM

View PostPhalanx100bc, on 16 January 2013 - 01:44 PM, said:

A braintrust of resources waiting to be tapped....... Buy those MC credits kids...they needs hirin' money!!!

Done. What next boss? B)

#19 Dakkath

• 1,980 posts
  • LocationG-14 Classified

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:33 PM

Moving to Off-Topic.

#20 Raven IIC

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:53 PM

This would be something of interest; having the two teams merge.

Possibly, the MWLL art team could design the Clan vehicles (and/or IS vehicles), so that the MWO team can focus on other <more important> issues?

As soon as I saw MWLL, I knew it was going to be something awesome. Too bad this dream has just about ended...

Imagine:
In MWO^

Edited by Raven IIC, 16 January 2013 - 05:24 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users