Do You Ever Sell Unused Chassis?

20 replies to this topic

#1 MacAddict4Life

• Pip
  • Overlord
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:48 AM

First, let me say that the plural of chassis being chassis blew my mind (I just had to look it up).

Do you ever sell your unused chassis? I have been considering selling my Centurion 9D, because I can't find a build I enjoy that is as good as, and sufficiently different from, my 9A build. Similarly, now that I've ground out my Cicada 3C I'm not so sure I'll ever play it again. In both cases I got all the basic skills, so my other variants can get the elite skills.

The only reason I can come up with to save them is the hope that someday new weapons or changes to existing ones will present new options and make these fun. But I'm not so sure that's a gamble I want to take.

Any thoughts?

Edited by MacAddict4Life, 16 January 2013 - 04:48 AM.

#2 Stingz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • Location*SIGNAL LOST*

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:59 AM

The CN9-D is definitely not for everyone, XL engine with a hitbox the size of an Atlas. Try to finish basic before selling mechs, unless it's that bad.

The main selling point of the Centurion-D is the massive XL engine it can fit.

Edited by Stingz, 16 January 2013 - 04:59 AM.

#3 Budor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:25 AM

I sell stuff that is obsolete to me after filling basic on them. Both Ravens but the 3L, AS7-D, all Stalkers but the 3F aso.

I rebought some mechs i sold though :) 3D for Jumpjets just last week. I wouldnt do this if they let me organize the mechs, i have enough mechbays but i have this funny retardation that makes me get rid of stuff that seems out of place if i cannot reorganize (hide) it.

Edited by Budor, 16 January 2013 - 05:26 AM.

#4 Lynette Steffeld

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 240 posts
  • LocationSomewhere with irregular bus times

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:28 AM

Although I flew dragons back in the day where dragonbowling was commonplace I have recently decided to sell my 1N.

The combination of ping, leading, occasionally (and I mean all the friggin time) irregular ballistics convergence and my inability to keep a steady shelling lead at anything more than 75KMPH factored into this decision.

I kinda wish you could buy hero mekz with Cbills.

Can I has free Flaem prz

#5 Wrenchfarm

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:39 AM

I sell old and under-used mechs on a regular basis. I tend to keep a select few that I know I love, but many are just there for a little diversion or to climb the XP tree with another mech. Some mechs drift from "I love this thing!" to "I still have this thing?" I recently sold my HBK-4P with a tear in my eye. I loved the Ghetto Delight, but I can't remember the last time I ran it. I have other mechs for laser-boating nowadays.

I've also re-bought mechs I've sold. Sometimes because a balance change shifts the gameplay back in the mechs favour, of I feel like giving it another shot. I picked up a Phract-4X today, a mech I previously dumped after deeming it too slow to bother with. I'm better with positioning now so I figure I might give it another shot. Maybe it wasn't too slow, maybe I just wasn't good enough to deal with it. (HINT: It actually is way too slow)

#6 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:46 AM

I should probably clear out my inventory of useless mechs, but haven't sat down for it yet. I did sell all my useless weapons and items about a week ago, which brought in some crazy 5 million space bucks.

In general, I'd rather buy more mechbays than sell my mechs.

#7 HighTest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationKitchener, ON

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:58 AM

So far I have only sold one mech, and based on that experience, I now do not sell any mechs, ever.

The income from sale is so low (and thus the loss is so large) that I just can't justify doing so. I'd rather keep a lame mech in my stable in case I decide to use it / change it later rather then sell it for a huge loss. Never know what the next patch may bring.

If the devs ever change the sale proceeds to be a little less drastic, I may reconsider this approach. But it's what I use now.

#8 skelley92

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 108 posts
  • LocationFusion Engine City, MI

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:30 AM

It would be cool if there was a system for selling mechs to other players instead of back to the game.

A bidding system like ebay or something. Maybe then you could a little more for them.

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Edited by skelley92, 16 January 2013 - 07:34 AM.

#9 Bagua

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 94 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:48 AM

View PostMacAddict4Life, on 16 January 2013 - 04:48 AM, said:

Do you ever sell your unused chassis?

Yes, I Do. When I mastered a Mech that I do not play often I sell it.

View PostMacAddict4Life, on 16 January 2013 - 04:48 AM, said:

I have been considering selling my Centurion 9D, because I can't find a build I enjoy that is as good as, and sufficiently different from, my 9A build.

I used the 9D as Quick-LRM Mech with 2x LRM10+Artemis and 2 Med Pulse Lasers a long time.
Right now I have big fun with this build: CN9-D
Basicly its feels like a very BIG light mech with lots of armor. TAG, MGs and the SSRM are on one fire button the, the MPL is on the other.Just circle slow mechs or hunt down lights with permanent fire of the MGs and SSRMs and use the Laser when heat allows it. :D

#10 Ursh

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationMother Russia

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:51 PM

I bought the Flame when it came out and loved it, still do. The Dragon 5N and 1C that I bought to unlock master on my Flame both got sold the minute they finished elites.

I've also sold a Jenner, a Centurion AL, and a Cataphract 4x.

I wouldn't sell the CN-9D though. There are a lot of things you can do with it.

#11 malibu43

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:13 PM

I don't plan on selling chassis unless I absolutely never see myself driving it again and I've completed basic. I did this with the HBK-4P (hated that thing!). Otherwise it's worth it to buy a mech bay for $1.50 or whatever and hang on to it.

#12 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:15 PM

I often sell chassis, but typically not weapons, engines, or heat sinks because they are useful in other mech chassis. It is a good idea however to get the basics unlocked for a chassis before you sell it though. You may want to go back to it sometime in the future.

#13 Hammerfinn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 745 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:31 PM

I will sell a chassis that becomes redundant in my playstyle; I try as many loadouts and configurations as I can, and if I have another mech that can do it better, I sell it. For instance, I just recently, with a tear in my eye, sold my CN-9A, since I was using MLasers and SRMS; I consistently got better performance out of my AL, so I cried a little in memory of the good times and emptied out the 9A and sold the chassis.

I would certainly not sell a chassis I'd bought to level a mech before the XP was at the necessary level.

I do not simply click the "sell" button though; I empty out EVERYTHING (even the armor slots; can make upgrading other mechs cheaper!) before I get rid of the chassis.

#14 Athena Pryde

• PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:34 PM

The return on selling a mech is just bad and its a grind to earn enough to buy that mech. I can't see selling one unless you really don't want to buy another mech bay or you really sure you don't want to play that mech again.

#15 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:36 PM

I'll start selling stuff when I run out of mechbays. I have 37, still have a few empty ones.

#16 Carrioncrows

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:36 PM

I advocate not selling anything.

There are exceptions but you better think long and hard about it. Especially about the "Higher Tech" variants such as your Centurion - D. You will regret it, simply because it's not worth the 750k you'd get for it.

I've probably said this before but the best thing to do to the CN9-D is to remove Artemis, put in DHS, drop the LRM10 in favor of x2 SRM6's and you are set. I love my CN9-D.

Right now i'm sitting on
All 4 cents
2 commandos
3 spiders
1 awesome
1 stalker
1 atlas
2 dragons
2 cataphracts

Every patch things change and by extension as things get cleaned up or as weapon stats change variants that you don't like today you could absolutely love tomorrow.

#17 Krzysztof z Bagien

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 710 posts
  • LocationUć, Poland

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:38 PM

I have only 4 mechbays, so yes.

#18 Wrenchfarm

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:05 PM

I guess this thread could have just been posed as "do you buy mechbays?"

If you have the space, might as well hang on to them. If not, sell and pick up the new hotness.

#19 Ursh

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationMother Russia

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:32 PM

If you haven't bought a few mechbays using real money, then why do you keep playing? With four mechbays at best you can master two mechs.

#20 Ryebear

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:39 PM

I've sold quite a few mechs. A couple bought then sold for the Engline+C-Bills.
  • Sold Dragon 1N after Flame came out because I didnt need 4 Dragons to earn mastery - no regrets, also this was the mech I got good at MWO playing on so I got good use out of it.
  • Bought with MC and sold a Raven 3L pre-ECM for the 210 XL for my Commandos because I didnt want to grind C-Bills.
  • Bought with MC and sold Cent 9D for a 300 XL for my Dragons because I didnt want to grind C-Bills.
  • Sold Raven 4X after only getting 4 Basic efficiencies because I wanted a Ballistic platform and to test jump jets but it proved too light for Ballistics and JJs werent much fun and the entire chassis was worse than my Commando 2D or any Jenners at that point.
  • Re-bought a Raven 3L post-ECM and actually used it, regretted selling my 4X without getting all Basic efficiencies. Really regret this since I A) Didnt need 2 210XL engines B) Re-bought a mech that I cant elite without re-buying another mech I sold effectively wasting several million C-Bills and several thousand MC or a bunch of time depending on how you look at it.
My Commando 3A and 1B and Dragon 1C are on the chopping block but I want to get all Elites on my Commandos so I can Master my 2D and anything my Dragon 1C can do the Flame can do better except house shoulder (read: high) mounted energy hardpoints. I will probably hold onto it until I am desperate for the mechbay since who knows how the will change mech efficiences, maybe there will be super master level efficiences at some point.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users