In Preparation Of News To Hit.

128 replies to this topic

#81 Purplefluffybunny

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:53 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 16 January 2013 - 06:50 AM, said:

NGNG was bought by PGI ages ago. We call their podcast the goldcast for a reason.

PGI own NGNG? Surely you are just joking? If not got any evidence?

#82 Oderint dum Metuant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:55 AM

They achieved a lot for being a mod.

But it was never going to last because of two reasons, the community at large never really took to it or stuck to it, the player base was low.

They picked up the ability at a time the IP was dead, whenever the IP got picked up this was always going to happen, you don't spend $ obtaining IP rights and development time while others get the rights for free.

#83 Windies

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,477 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:55 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 16 January 2013 - 06:50 AM, said:

NGNG was bought by PGI ages ago. We call their podcast the goldcast for a reason.

Individualism is a dying trait.

#84 Billygoat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 298 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:56 AM

View PostTarman, on 16 January 2013 - 06:50 AM, said:

You can be the real deal, or you can be a shill. Not even a choice afaic. No Guts No Galaxy indeed.

I don't disagree with you. I'm just speculating on their priorities. Vass is basically correct in his assessment, IMO and PGI is playing it smart to have those guys as a free/cheap de facto marketing team.

#85 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:57 AM

View PostPurplefluffybunny, on 16 January 2013 - 06:53 AM, said:

They never say anything bad about the game, they never bring up glitches, balance issues, or pressure the devs to answer hard questions, there's no criticism, and the whole show is about PGI being mechwarrior Jesus.

#86 Jonathan Paine

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:58 AM

Can only hope that PGI brings aboard some of the talent from mwll and that we gain content. It would be the sane, rational thing to do. Not holding my breath.

#87 TrollerLoverFIN

Rookie

• 4 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:58 AM

View PostDV McKenna, on 16 January 2013 - 06:55 AM, said:

They picked up the ability at a time the IP was dead

MWLL indeed gave us a new mechgame when there was none in sight. For this I am thankful.

#88 Star Captain Obvious Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 500 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:59 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 16 January 2013 - 06:57 AM, said:

They never say anything bad about the game, they never bring up glitches, balance issues, or pressure the devs to answer hard questions, there's no criticism, and the whole show is about PGI being mechwarrior Jesus.

Would you say No Guts No Galaxy is totally gutless? I would.

Edited by Eldragon, 16 January 2013 - 06:59 AM.

#89 Windies

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,477 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:59 AM

Like Vassago said, They're pretty much an advertisement source for PGI. They don't even try to be objective in any sense of the term.

#90 Apoc1138

• 1,708 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:00 AM

IGP copyright is splashed all over the NGNG website - can't prove that now because their website appears to be down

#91 Tarman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:00 AM

I'd probably believe in PGI more if they were Jesus, and my shoes for entering church property are made of asbestos.

#92 Pok Gai

Clone

• PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:02 AM

NGNG, PCGamer, Penny Arcade, all paid promotions masquerading as reviews.

This game isn't of a quality that it would sell itself, mainly sold itself on the hopes and dreams on the MW premise.

Reviews from unpaid sites, have been... alot less flattering..

#93 thalamus

• PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

The end of MW:LL represents the end of an era for me.

While no other 'Mech game was being developed, the MW:LL devs gathered together and modded a complete new game out of Crysis. Not only did they prove that it was possible to do this, but they also included tanks, infantry, aeros, and hovercraft - thereby enabling the players to experience much more of the Battletech universe than just the dogfights with 'Mechs.

MW:LL was the most team-centered and tactical game in the Battletech universe that I have ever played. With twice the size of people in every match as in MWO and matches taking possibly hours, matches always saw a constant evolution of strategy and tactics. Holding bases was really relevant because unlike in MWO, the match wouldn't end in 2 minutes anyway because reinforcement were constantly coming in. Because so many units were represented in the game, it was not only a magnificent sandbox to mess around in but also a challenge to use each player and unit in the niche it was made for; especially more so if the other team had found the weak spots in your builds and had started exploiting them.

It is a shame that MW:LL never had more than a couple of hundred players during its development. Never has any Battletech experience on PC been richer and deeper. I sincerely hope that MWO has learned a lesson in making a game interesting and challenging, for in its current state it is just a weak shadow of what a team of dedicated fans have passionately created over the course of years.

/saddayforfranchise

#94 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

View PostEldragon, on 16 January 2013 - 06:59 AM, said:

Would you say No Guts No Galaxy is totally gutless? I would.

Well, yeah. That's why I don't listen to them, read their comics, or pay any attention to them. The whole thing reminds me of the reddit movement when they were hyping the hell out of guild wars 2.

No guts no galaxy is very good at what they do, which is market MWO, and serve as the developers' podium. There's nothing wrong with this, and if I was running the game, I'd be using them for the exact same purpose, but since I'm merely a player, well. No reason to listen to the thing, but no reason to pretend it's anything but what it is, either.

#95 MaddMaxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,911 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:03 AM

View PostPurplefluffybunny, on 16 January 2013 - 06:17 AM, said:

A declaration of war has been declared by the 'rights holders'. See you on the battle field IGP and PGI. I am not sure you are really prepared for this war.

Right from the announcement of MWO I said this would happen over on the MWLL boards, many moons ago. I find this news quite upsetting and the rights holders actions very disrespectful to the MWLL team.

Another person who just doesn't understand how it works. If it were your many many millions of dollars on the table, I would guess you would also not be so quick to let the Freebee folks carry on. As noted else where, the non-commercial was granted by MS and thus it would be them that would have to revoke it. If the LL crew were to ask IGP, perhaps some discussions could be had.

Unless someone quotes a IGP rep stating it was them that kill the LL non-commercial, please refrain from senseless bashing of unknown parties.

P.S. No...wait, This is the internet. One doesn't have to know anything on here, least being the facts or truth. My bad. Carry on.

#96 Taltos

Rookie

• Moderate Giver
  • 1 posts

For shame, PGI, for shame... this was a really unnecessary move. :-(
Well, my inclination to spend money for mwo is now zero.

View PostVassago Rain, on 16 January 2013 - 06:10 AM, said:

all reached a gentlemen's agreement with the LL crew. They'd get to finish what they'd started, but then they wouldn't be allowed to release anything more.

what exactly is "gentleman" about this? "sure, go ahead and eat up your hotdog before I blow your brains out, it's my nice day today"?

Edited by Taltos, 16 January 2013 - 07:06 AM.

#97 SJ SCP Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 302 posts
  • LocationHuntress

NGNG is to PGI what Gamespot was to Eidos.

#98 bug3at3r

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

...really? Thats your angle?

Even for a troll you're stretching. What you just described is damn near every video game journalist out there. Does PGI also own PC Gamer?

#99 Purplefluffybunny

• 1,653 posts

You know, MWLL did have a future with a lot coming down the pipeline, albeit slowly. That earlier video link to MWLL game play titled 'Operation Viper' in this thread, if memory serves, was a pilot project (of which I was involved in an early stage but only briefly) that aimed to move towards some type of persistent world and conquest system.

In their current states MWLL>MWO in both game play and game design decisions.

#100 Grraarrgghh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 829 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:04 AM

Man you people need to get some real life **** to care about rather than internet drama.

LL was terrible and unbalanced with crappy animation like 99% of all total conversion mods. Microsoft revoked their FREE license.

Get over it.

Edited by Grraarrgghh, 16 January 2013 - 07:06 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users