Weren't We Supposed To Get Mw: Tactics Free Beta Keys As Mwo Founders?

55 replies to this topic

#41 Thirdstar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,728 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:50 AM

View PostRickySpanish, on 16 January 2013 - 07:46 AM, said:

Unity as in Unity 3D? Christ I hope not, if so... those poor, poor developers. Speaking as someone who has used Unity in a SMALL developer environment (ie 5 people) holy living **** that thing is an ATROCITY! I will go so far as to say I'd rather develop a FLASH application than use Unity. The entire development pipeline for Unity is a god damned mess, the only thing it has going for it is that you can use c# as your programming language. Unfortunately many questions seem to be asked by those using their bastardization of Javascript. Yes. Javascript. Go figure.

I wouldn't know anything about programing even if it came up and bit me but I didn't realize that Unity was so bad? I thought it was the Indie Dev scene darling. Only Unity game I played recently was Endless Space and that seemed to work just fine.

Also seems that Wasteland 2 and Project Eternity Devs both plan to use Unity so it can't possibly be as bad as you posit.

Edited by Thirdstar, 16 January 2013 - 07:53 AM.

#42 PANZERBUNNY

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,080 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:53 AM

People want MechCommander.

We get tactics instead.

It seems the reincarnation of the MW franchise has become watered down and without vision, or I should say, the ability to make that vision reality.

#43 Thirdstar

• 2,728 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:54 AM

View PostPANZERBUNNY, on 16 January 2013 - 07:53 AM, said:

People want MechCommander.

We get tactics instead.

It seems the reincarnation of the MW franchise has become watered down and without vision, or I should say, the ability to make that vision reality.

As much as I loved Mechcommander, I wish it too had been turn based instead of Real Time.

#44 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,513 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:11 AM

View PostThirdstar, on 16 January 2013 - 07:50 AM, said:

I wouldn't know anything about programing even if it came up and bit me but I didn't realize that Unity was so bad? I thought it was the Indie Dev scene darling. Only Unity game I played recently was Endless Space and that seemed to work just fine.

Also seems that Wasteland 2 and Project Eternity Devs both plan to use Unity so it can't possibly be as bad as you posit.

Yeah sorry whenever someone mentions Unity I sort of just explode!

The thing with Unity is that for cross platform development, it's a gem. We can take our internet game, or PC/Mac game and chuck it onto an iPad/iOS device (theoretically, though in practice you either need to begin development for the most restrictive device and work that way, or be prepared to change a lot of features).

The PROBLEM with Unity is it's asset management system is just ***, for example, in order to synchronise development among a group of designers, programmers and artists etc. you need some way of keeping track of who is working on what. This is where source control comes in - I as a developer would "check out" a particular file I'm working on, preventing anyone else from developing with that file in parallel (or allowing them to in some cases, with the provision that we would merge our changes later). Unity is absolutely bad at this, although things have gotten better recently.

Another issue related to source control is the re-use of assets across different applications, at the moment Unity (3.x, don't know about 4!) doesn't allow you to import asset libraries from a central location without you manually setting this up.

Then there's the development pipeline itself - Unity is excellent for developing 3D applications, but there's no dedicated 2D mode, which is especially bad on devices with only a little horsepower, such as iOS. As an example, I had to write my own method of displaying 3D text for one of our puzzle games for the iPad because Unity's 3D text system is so inefficient.

So basically, I use Unity because it's the best thing out there for cross platform development, but honestly I hate it so very much.

[Edit]

This is all commentary about Unity 3.x, as we've not moved to the recently released 4.x platform yet, so perhaps some of my gripes have been addressed (and I'm sure they will be eventually, they're a pretty big point of discussion)

Edited by RickySpanish, 16 January 2013 - 08:14 AM.

#45 Penance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:16 AM

View PostIron Harlequin, on 16 January 2013 - 07:47 AM, said:

They lost me at "trading cards"

I dont want any darkage-esque bull-****

Actually, I've come around on this system a little, and think it's the games one redeeming quality, that and its cheekbones :D . Althought the mechlab does work.

The "cards" basically represent equipment, weapons, pilots that you can equip a mech with. At the end of a round you're rewarded with Scrap (equivilant to Cbills in MWo, although in that game, Cbills are the premium currency I think, like MC here).

Scrap is used to purchased STACs of varying levels (bronze, silver, gold, platium). Each STAC contains cards. Some cards have foil versions that will get benefits from mech pilots. For example, some pilots might give all foil cards in the mech a +8 to hit bonus for example. The cards also represent weapons from differnet manufacturers and they have differnet stats and different BV's.

It's basically the TT game on the PC.

Edited by Penance, 16 January 2013 - 08:17 AM.

#46 Thirdstar

• 2,728 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:24 AM

View PostPenance, on 16 January 2013 - 08:16 AM, said:

Actually, I've come around on this system a little, and think it's the games one redeeming quality, that and its cheekbones :D . Althought the mechlab does work.

The "cards" basically represent equipment, weapons, pilots that you can equip a mech with. At the end of a round you're rewarded with Scrap (equivilant to Cbills in MWo, although in that game, Cbills are the premium currency I think, like MC here).

Scrap is used to purchased STACs of varying levels (bronze, silver, gold, platium). Each STAC contains cards. Some cards have foil versions that will get benefits from mech pilots. For example, some pilots might give all foil cards in the mech a +8 to hit bonus for example. The cards also represent weapons from differnet manufacturers and they have differnet stats and different BV's.

What he said.

#47 Kraven Kor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:49 AM

View PostPenance, on 16 January 2013 - 08:16 AM, said:

Well, it's more like the BattleTech CCG married to TT in your browser.

Overall, I like it, just needs a lot of work to make it stable and less clunky. And maybe support larger battles / maps at some point. Hopefully some type of "Community Warfare" will get introduced there as well, since much like MWO the "pull" to play is just not there without some overarching metagame behind it. "Something worth fighting for."

#48 SpiralRazor

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:50 AM

It has a lot of potential, but you would probably have a better experience if you waited and let it cook a bit longer.

#49 Thirdstar

• 2,728 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:03 AM

View PostRickySpanish, on 16 January 2013 - 08:11 AM, said:

Yeah sorry whenever someone mentions Unity I sort of just explode!

The thing with Unity is that for cross platform development, it's a gem. We can take our internet game, or PC/Mac game and chuck it onto an iPad/iOS device (theoretically, though in practice you either need to begin development for the most restrictive device and work that way, or be prepared to change a lot of features).

The PROBLEM with Unity is it's asset management system is just ***, for example, in order to synchronise development among a group of designers, programmers and artists etc. you need some way of keeping track of who is working on what. This is where source control comes in - I as a developer would "check out" a particular file I'm working on, preventing anyone else from developing with that file in parallel (or allowing them to in some cases, with the provision that we would merge our changes later). Unity is absolutely bad at this, although things have gotten better recently.

Another issue related to source control is the re-use of assets across different applications, at the moment Unity (3.x, don't know about 4!) doesn't allow you to import asset libraries from a central location without you manually setting this up.

Then there's the development pipeline itself - Unity is excellent for developing 3D applications, but there's no dedicated 2D mode, which is especially bad on devices with only a little horsepower, such as iOS. As an example, I had to write my own method of displaying 3D text for one of our puzzle games for the iPad because Unity's 3D text system is so inefficient.

So basically, I use Unity because it's the best thing out there for cross platform development, but honestly I hate it so very much.

[Edit]

This is all commentary about Unity 3.x, as we've not moved to the recently released 4.x platform yet, so perhaps some of my gripes have been addressed (and I'm sure they will be eventually, they're a pretty big point of discussion)

+1 Would read again. I can say I learned something new on the internet today.

#50 Kraven Kor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:10 AM

Also, I don't recall any promises of a MW:Tactics beta key when I bought Founder's pack.

Could be wrong, but I have no recollection of that promise being made.

#51 Ultrabeast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 992 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationDas Amerikas (The US)

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:22 AM

View PostBDU Havoc, on 16 January 2013 - 07:06 AM, said:

Founders got early access to closed beta for this game. PGI promised nothing about access to MW Tactics that I can recall.

Plus. . . . you really don't want to play it lol.

If you wanted access to the MW:Tactics beta. . . . . maybe should have signed up for the MW:Tactics website?

Like some of us did.

Some of us who may have received emails.

I thought I would still be playing MWO at the time so I didn't bother signing up for it.

View PostNoth, on 16 January 2013 - 07:10 AM, said:

Don't care. Tactics is shaping up to be a bigger bomb than this.

Noth still the eternal optimist. :D

#52 BlackSquirrel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 873 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:35 AM

I dont recall any promise to tactics beta...

#53 Adrienne Vorton

• 3,535 posts
  • LocationBerlin/ Germany

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:16 AM

View PostUltrabeast, on 16 January 2013 - 06:31 AM, said:

I'm pretty sure I remember reading somewhere that we did. Am I wrong?

yep you are...we have to apply to the beta as any other... well at least i did ...

View PostSpiralRazor, on 16 January 2013 - 08:50 AM, said:

It has a lot of potential, but you would probably have a better experience if you waited and let it cook a bit longer.

yea, but you also can´t deny progress..that´s what i heard *coughs*

Edited by Adrienne Vorton, 17 January 2013 - 05:17 AM.

#54 Alanar Drovic

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:57 AM

View PostRanger207, on 16 January 2013 - 07:28 AM, said:

Well, everyone who signed up on their forums a long time ago got a free beta key. Let's just say I've only gone back about twice, not counting browser crashes.

Sadly, not true.

5 months and waiting, no access yet.

Nope, not going to buy a Founder's Package until I've at least tried the game.

Nope, haven't been one of the thousands of people asking on the forums for a beta key, nor will I be.

Edited by Alanar Drovic, 16 February 2013 - 06:58 AM.

#55 Werewolf486 ScorpS

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSinsinnati Ohio

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:06 AM

Hmm...funny.....I've had my key since the beginning of closed Beta. Guess they only want certain contributors in at this point.

^_^

#56 LemonsDaBest

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 30 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:25 PM

D;

9 user(s) are reading this topic