Serial Afk's / Dc Farmers

24 replies to this topic

Poll: Serial Afk's / Dc Farmers (72 member(s) have cast votes)

in 10 rounds, how many DC's occur before the round even starts ??

1. never (2 votes [2.56%])

Percentage of vote: 2.56%

2. less than 1 (3 votes [3.85%])

Percentage of vote: 3.85%

3. less than 3 (15 votes [19.23%])

Percentage of vote: 19.23%

4. less than 5 (17 votes [21.79%])

Percentage of vote: 21.79%

5. more than 5 (41 votes [52.56%])

Percentage of vote: 52.56%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Bonger Bob

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 373 posts
  • LocationPerth, WA

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:03 AM

okies, ive read what i can find to basically discover there is no report option that is actually doing something about the issues of serial DC players. I know we've all seen our fair share of dc's for legit reasons ( "atari" screen, 3fps glitch etc ) but what if anything is being done now to discourage the practice. There is currently a group of players who repeatedly do this for reasons unknown other than to ballz the round for other players it would seem.

These players CAN NOT be named due to forum polices, yet we all know who they are to the stage you can scan the player lists at start of round and immediately can peg who's going to DC before the round even starts. Thats the point im trying to make here,

When the player base can see the issue to the stage it discussed in the game round ( which is also a violation of game terms ), yet PG can't / won't / are unable to do anything about it why ???

Obviously this is still open beta, but if it can't be adressed now, will it ever be ???

And for those that think it doesn't matter overall, try having 20 rounds, were in at least 15 of them, the same person ( who cannot be named .... ), is DC before the round start count is even done. Couple that with the odd legit DC and a bit of bad luck in ending up on the same side all the time and an otherwise great game goes to the *******....

#2 Divine Retribution

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 648 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:20 AM

You're right that regular players know who the DC farmers are (I know of 4 during my normal game times). All 4 have been doing it day after day. All we can do is keep reporting them and hope that the offender's accounts disappear. That being said, the 4 aren't in the majority of matches. Every 2-3 matches one of the 4 will pop up, occassionally the same DC farmer will be in 2-3 games. When that happens give it a minute or two before launching the next game. The DC will have already launched into a different game by then. Would suck to have all 4 end up on the same team of a match though.

I'm also curious if the DC farmers are using every mech they can, i.e. join, DC, join new match with different mech, repeat till out of mechs. One DC farmer can annoy the players of many games at the same time if enough mechs are available. The devs really should find the farmer's accounts and salt the earth, metaphorically speaking...

Edited by Divine Retribution, 17 January 2013 - 12:21 AM.

#3 JohnnyC

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • LocationSpearfish, South Dakota

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:32 AM

See that link up at the top of the page... the one that says, "Support"... click that. Then send an email to the address it shows. Tell them the name of the player and give a description of what the player is doing (or not doing). They will investigate and take appropriate action.

That's how you report a player for things like that (or for TK'ing/griefing/bot farming/idling/etc).

#4 elbloom

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:23 AM

these players are the reason why i have to write 2-4 reporting mails to support - daily ..... oh boy they farming serious cash and xp.

I you are a good player YOU sponsor those tards a fat salvage bonus if you win for them :D

#5 Test Monkey 13

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:28 AM

kinda bothered by the disconnects in general. i would rather have the match requeued to get 8v8 than be one or 2 mechs down.

#6 VXJaeger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 1,582 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:32 AM

View PostM A L I C E, on 17 January 2013 - 12:08 AM, said:

Edit: INB4 "BUT PEOPLE CTD ALL THE TIME/OTHER BUGS." No. These are serial farmers. We know their names, we see them drop and drop and drop some more. DO NOT post your "game crash/bugged" tripe here.

Yes, 5min ago I saw you disco right after drop :D

#7 GODzillaGSPB

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,028 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:40 AM

I'm not sure about the poll. "Less than 1" means it is lower than 1, which would be 0 and the same option as "never". Or something like that...

I'd say, that in 7 of 10 games, there is a disconnect right at the start. And my gut feeling tells me these are farmers, and not players with technical problems.

#8 Seanamal

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 208 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:45 AM

Yes their are DC farmers. But I think a big part of the problem is instability in the build. Crash to desktop, blackscreen, yellowscreen, and other bugs are all still present in the game. So stuff like that is gonna happen. so I repeat my continuing mantra of: it's still BETA people, deal with it!

#9 TheGreatNoNo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 448 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:56 AM

Have been seeing A LOT more dicos since patch hit, 3 every match the day it hit, but a little less now (*shrugs*). The only time I disconnect is when I get hit by crash to desktop, i will not disconnect even when black screened, I will however fire randomly and more then likely at the sky after a few minutes. I don`t assume anyone I see disco is farming in this game , even though I may think it. Got chewed out too many times for raging a disco after they had been back when R and R was in place. (it resulted in people trying to TK me, the same two back stabbing sobs over and over.)

Edited by Lost One, 17 January 2013 - 01:58 AM.

#10 Sears

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 973 posts
  • LocationU.K

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:01 AM

Someone had a nosey in the game files and found a post match or possible pre match lobby screen mock up. Either way this could go some way to help with disconnects. If it placed you into the pre match lobby if someone DC's they DC are then kicked and replaced with a different player. With a post game chat/lobby system someone who is obviously AFK farming could then be reported from there.

Hopefully we'll see something along those lines.

#11 Exoth3rmic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 434 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:03 AM

I've been collating stats from my own games on a spreadsheet - mostly to see the impact of changing certain loadouts (avg dps etc).

I can tell you I played 12 games last night and during that time I had 3 disconnects and 2 afk on my teams. I know there were discos and AFK on the other teams during this time, but I don't keep track of them.

#12 trebormills

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 133 posts
  • LocationWales

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:18 AM

Flamebait post

Simple do not reward xp or Credits for disconnects- annoying if its due to 4fps or other bug but at least it will stop abuse

Not sure how to deal with afk issues

Edited by trebormills, 17 January 2013 - 02:19 AM.

#13 elbloom

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:25 AM

i thought pretty extensively over this..... suiciding/afking/botting is not easy to come by with scripting coz they´re so fkn elusive.

In my opinion only locking the mechbay and forcing a reconnect to the running match would help... like it´s in LoL. there it works like a charm. I never met a botter in League of Legends.

But let´s see how Piranha is going to tackle this Problem, they seem terribly opposed to forcing a player to play til the very end.

The NGNG people are used to disconnect right after they die/lose, somehow I don´t think they wanna give up this "match hopping" - I surely would, but those people have other "priorities" :D

#14 Herbstwind

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 104 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:52 AM

Back in the days in MPBT and 3025 when it was only 4vs4 a disconnect hurt your team even more. The honorable way to deal with this was for one member of the opposing team to stand back from the fight to a certain point - this could be used in MWO as well.. in theory.. some people might want to consider.. ok I'm stopping now :D

#15 Lynette Steffeld

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 240 posts
  • LocationSomewhere with irregular bus times

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:56 AM

I've actually seen a guy disconnect 5 times in a row (yes, I sadly ran into him 5 times in a row, both on friendly and hostile teams), and while I didn't bother making a report I saw him on the forums several days later talking about how his ISP was acting up.

It's hard to know who's doing what, but more often than not I try not to care.

Makes that 5-8 win all the more interesting... and funny.

#16 Bonger Bob

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 373 posts
  • LocationPerth, WA

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:01 AM

View PostGODzillaGSPB, on 17 January 2013 - 01:40 AM, said:

I'm not sure about the poll. "Less than 1" means it is lower than 1, which would be 0 and the same option as "never". Or something like that...

I'd say, that in 7 of 10 games, there is a disconnect right at the start. And my gut feeling tells me these are farmers, and not players with technical problems.

the "less than 1" is for anyone who has been lucky enough to have say 1 in 20. I direct your attention to the fact no one has voted "never" at this point :D, though not sure how many had voted at time of your reply :lol:

p.s.

i think 1 in 20 would be a very reasonable point to be at, i do realize no matter what the game, where it is , when its played, your never going to have an absolute all players present game.

Edited by Bonger Bob, 17 January 2013 - 03:04 AM.

#17 elbloom

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:03 AM

View PostLynette Steffeld, on 17 January 2013 - 02:56 AM, said:

I've actually seen a guy disconnect 5 times in a row (yes, I sadly ran into him 5 times in a row, both on friendly and hostile teams), and while I didn't bother making a report I saw him on the forums several days later talking about how his ISP was acting up.

Lock the mechbay, reconnect disco players back to the running match after client failure.
But they need to do some dirty coding stuff to make it work, this is no easy change - the reconnect feature .... locking the mechbay tho would be an instant fix and an easy one.

#18 Lynette Steffeld

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 240 posts
  • LocationSomewhere with irregular bus times

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:12 AM

That actually sounds really complicated to do... and I know nothing about code.

So I may be wrong.

But if they COULD do that, rest assured that we'll soon see 5 pages worth of people b*tching about it.

My words, mark them, etc.

I disconnect sometimes myself, though, so won't that measure hurt people who REALLY dc as well?

Although when their Ops goes offline my lance just gets really irritated... so it's not like I'd be going anywhere before their match ends, lol.

#19 Bonger Bob

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 373 posts
  • LocationPerth, WA

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:14 AM

View PostLynette Steffeld, on 17 January 2013 - 02:56 AM, said:

It's hard to know who's doing what, but more often than not I try not to care.

Makes that 5-8 win all the more interesting... and funny.

how many times would you ram your head into a wall before you realize the outcome isn't going to change. we've all had ISP issues at some stage in our life, but i hardly think the volumes we see lately are related to ISP problems. They are normal situations that are expected. The issue at hand is the fact hour after hour, day after day, week to week, regular players see the same repeat dc's consistently. We report these and await action.
As someone else pointed out above ( creds to you, M A L I C E ) a reply from PG and some actual noticeable action ( the same player we see each day etc finally disappearing to ban land / depths of hell ) at any stage would be a step forward and acknowledgement of the issue. It seems at the moment nothing is done at the cost of the dedicated players.

Edited by Bonger Bob, 17 January 2013 - 03:17 AM.

#20 elbloom

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:34 AM

Of course there would be a sheetstorm on the forum if the decided to lock the mechbay as an interim solution (not a permanent) because people are used to quitting matches and hopping on them.

But it would have many positive effects.

1) suiciders will have to adapt to playing a more team-oriented game.
2) more tension in matches because everyone has a strong incentive to stay alive as long as possible.
3) emergence of more and more tactical matches because of 2)
4) botting/farming reduced by inbetween the factor 4 (number of trial mechs farmers can throw into matches) and 20, yes if you had 20 mechabys you could farm with all of them at the same time atm.
5) people with ISP problems had some time to actually solve their problem instead of dropping mech after mech after mech and griefing others with it´s discos.
6) getting a gaming break to stretch your back, kiss your wife, hug your kids, make a coffee, drink a beer isn´t actually a bad thing.

I´m sure there is more to it than meets the eye but me thinks it would be cool if that all happened. :D

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users