• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:39 AM

AWS-8R TX-1
(see slightly updated version below)

This is my one, doubled my K/D ratio. Has over 40k XP left unused. A B.E.A.S.T
Most fun at smashing faces of light mechs with the SRMs. Up to 5 kills per match, at least 250 damage, when we get stomped (I pug exclusively) and over 800 dmg when winning.

What do you think? It works for me certainly, most fun I ever had in a mech.
LL on Mouse 1, LPL on Mouse 2, MPL on L-Shift/Mouse 3, and SMRs on Spacebar for maximum bang.

The less people see this thread, the better for me! :) I didn't want to give it out but also wanted to contribute something to the community.

Here is a slightly changed setup without AMS but Artemis instead + full armor and 2LL instead of LPL+LL:
AWS-8R TX-2 Trying it out at the moment and if you don't need AMS, it's even better than my initial one.

Another slightly changed setup. Lacks Artemis, a bit armor and a bit speed but has more DPS due to more DHS:
Taizan/SGT Urther Alternative AWS-8R

Edited by TexAss, 17 January 2013 - 08:59 AM.

#2 Gigastrike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 704 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:02 AM

Is the reason why you have a large pulse laser just to fill out the weight? You could change it to another large laser to simplify it, reduce heat, overlap ranges better, and all you'd really give up is 1 point of damage on the alpha.

#3 TexAce

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:10 AM

View PostGigastrike, on 17 January 2013 - 07:02 AM, said:

Is the reason why you have a large pulse laser just to fill out the weight? You could change it to another large laser to simplify it, reduce heat, overlap ranges better, and all you'd really give up is 1 point of damage on the alpha.

Yes, its mostly to fill out the weight, can't stand odd numbers. And I like the Pum-Pum-Pum sound of the LPL. :)
I had it with 2LL 50% of the time and it also worked well.

#4 SGT Unther

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 337 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:30 AM

A couple of changes I would make, just my opinion

Swap the LPL for a L Laser
Drop the Engine to a 275 rated ( 55kph vs 58kph)
Loose the Endo Steel ( Takes up too much space when you add DHS)
Add CASE (Even if you have the Ammo in the Legs, it will keep the Ammo explosion from spreading through your torso)
Move the AMS Ammo out of the CT
Drop the leg armour to about 57 points (Still more armour than the CT of a medium mech)

Edited by SGT Unther, 17 January 2013 - 07:31 AM.

#5 TexAce

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:39 AM

View PostSGT Unther, on 17 January 2013 - 07:30 AM, said:

A couple of changes I would make, just my opinion

Swap the LPL for a L Laser
Drop the Engine to a 275 rated ( 55kph vs 58kph)
Loose the Endo Steel ( Takes up too much space when you add DHS)
Add CASE (Even if you have the Ammo in the Legs, it will keep the Ammo explosion from spreading through your torso)
Move the AMS Ammo out of the CT
Drop the leg armour to about 57 points (Still more armour than the CT of a medium mech)

Umm, these are all downgrades to my setup. You would sacrifice all of this just for having CASE?
Slower, much less armored (+no Endo), slightly less dmg, but a bit more heat efficient and CASE.

I guess you could go with it but too many tradeoffs for me.

Edited by TexAss, 17 January 2013 - 07:43 AM.

#6 SGT Unther

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 337 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:50 AM

You might think of them as downgrades, but you get a better sustained DPS and better heat efficiency by lowering the engine size a little. It just my thought process of mech building, take it for what you will.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4a9a7e10b924e92

However if you have fun with it, then by all means go for it. I have a few builds myself that I really enjoy running but they are not the greatest builds out there.

#7 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:50 AM

For those of us who can't view smurfy's site (i.e. smart phone users), could you post a summary of your build? I have a couple of Awesomes that really like, so I'm curious about your setup.

#8 Taizan

Com Guard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts
  • LocationGalatea (NRW)

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:59 AM

Or just drop both Case modules in LT-RT and move AMS Ammo to the arm, throw in another DHS. If you loose your leg in an Awesome chances are high your mech is near destruction anyway.

Awesome's almost in 99% of the cases will loose their CT first before loosing any limbs..Its just how the mech model works. Never got legged in mine.

#9 TexAce

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:03 AM

@SGT

It was not meant as an offense, sorry if it came out that way. I just like the armor boost Endo gives me and have it nearly on all my mechs.
Updated my OP with an alternative build I'm trying out right now.

@NRP:

Awesome 8R
4SRMs + 4 ton ammo
1MPL in the head
2LL or LL+LPL on right arm.
STD 290 Engine
Endo
16 DHS
AMS + 1 ton AMS ammo
A bit less armor on legs and left arm.

Alternative
Same but:
no AMS
2LL on right arm
15 DHS
Artemis

@Taizan / SGT Urther:
Same with me, never got legged, CT is always the first to go off, that's why I don't use Case. It was more important when R&R existed. Really like your changes now, high DPS although lacking a bit armor. Added to the OP.

Edited by TexAss, 17 January 2013 - 08:12 AM.

#10 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:05 AM

I just designed a very similar Mech and came to the forum to post about it, glad to see there are others with the same mind-set.

A while ago an Awesome walked up to my Cataphract and just stripped everything off of it in three strikes. At first I thought it was mounting loads of LBX ACs, but then I realised it had to be SRMs because Awesomes don't mount ballistics. Ever since then I've been meaning to give one a try.

My design differs from yours by using 3 medium pulse lasers and adding CASE, more ammo, a couple more heatsinks and maxed armour on upper sections, with a more even spread on front and rear areas. I don't like the idea of getting it all stripped off by a single AC20 to the back - too many people mounting sniper weapons these days.

I'd group my weapons in chain fire mode with mouse 1 on SRM duty and mouse 2 for the pulse laser backup.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...680d7f5122d25ab

Edited by RickySpanish, 17 January 2013 - 08:06 AM.

#11 stemnin

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 58 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:12 AM

View PostTaizan, on 17 January 2013 - 07:59 AM, said:

Or just drop both Case modules in LT-RT and move AMS Ammo to the arm, throw in another DHS. If you loose your leg in an Awesome chances are high your mech is near destruction anyway.

Awesome's almost in 99% of the cases will loose their CT first before loosing any limbs..Its just how the mech model works. Never got legged in mine.

I got legged once. My legs were getting damaged on small rocks lol.

I don't even remember playing the 8R and this thread made me buy one.. found out I got all the basics at least.

Edited by stemnin, 17 January 2013 - 08:13 AM.

#12 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:15 AM

Ah, I see. The "brawler" Awesome. There's a thread about the 8R brawler build. I have an 8R too.

STD290
2 LLs
4 SRM6s + Artemis
DHS
max armor

It is phenomenally dangerous up close, but requires patience and good situational awareness to maximize its potential. But holy hell does it pack a whallop!

Helmstiff calls it "A wall that smacks you back", LOL!

#13 Ogresan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:19 AM

FYI Texass. Endo-steel only give weight savings = to 5% of your mechs weight. Nothing else.
Not being snide or anything, just want to help.

#14 TexAce

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:26 AM

View PostOgresan, on 17 January 2013 - 08:19 AM, said:

FYI Texass. Endo-steel only give weight savings = to 5% of your mechs weight. Nothing else.
Not being snide or anything, just want to help.

Thanks, I must have totally misunderstood that. Updated the OP.

To even alter Taizan/SGT Urthers Awesome further, you could also leave out the small laser in the head completely and bump up the armor instead for more DPS like this:
AWS-8R

But I like having something there in case of being stripped down to my CT + the Alpha is 8 dmg lower than my initial version.

Edited by TexAss, 17 January 2013 - 08:34 AM.

#15 Jaded Jasper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:32 PM

I run a similar mech at times:

Std 285 engine (you eat the roundoff going to 290, which costs 1 extra ton rather than the usual .5)
4xSRM6 w/ Artemis (gives mid range firepower option, and more concentrated damage up close. Sucks when you face ECM though!)
7 tons SRM Ammo (4 tons runs out!)
3xML (better range fit with the SRMs)
No AMS (stick to cover)
No endo Steel
19 DHS

In particular more heat sinks, better heat efficiency, and more ammo make for a better brawler. Though I do admit to being tempted to drop Artemis and 4 sinks to upgrade to Large Lasers.

Hmmm, looking at it I could drop 3 DHS, drop artemis, add endo, upgrade to Large Lasers, and still have 3 tons and 1 slot left. Probably a 290 engine, extra ton of leg armor, and 8th ton of ammo. Might have to try that...

I don't expect it will brawl as good, but the large laser option is nice and ECM cancels Artemis so often anyway. It'd be a pain in the *** though, as removing Artemis and dropping Endo is spendy. :-/

Edited by Jaded Jasper, 17 January 2013 - 04:34 PM.

#16 TexAce

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:36 PM

I rarely run out of SRM ammo. Only in about 1 out of 30 matches. So 4 tons is enough for me, 5 max but whatever suits you best.
You could save 2-3 tons if you go down to 5 tons SRM ammo and add extra DHS or Arty or AMS.

I like the large lasers because I like to tickle others from far away. Has some advantages.

What I found out after testing Artemis on my TX-2 is that it's good for headshooting Atlai but bad for catching lights, since the lesser spread is less likely to damage a lagshielded light. So Arty has its tradeoffs, too.

Here is another setup I might try some time, when I have c-bills again :)

AWS-8R TX-3

Swapped the STD 290 with a 285, no Artemis, swapped Endo for FF, added AMS back in,

Edited by TexAss, 17 January 2013 - 04:48 PM.

#17 Jaded Jasper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:48 PM

Here's the build I was talking about:
AWS-8R

And I definitely use the ammo. Often I don't, but then sometimes you get a 6 or 7 kill run which just wouldn't be possible without more ammo, and even when I only get 4 or 3 kills I sometimes use the extra ammo, especially if there are lots of well armored mechs in a match. 4 tons of ammo allows you just 16 full salvos!

More ammo also gives you scope to take speculative shots, e.g. against light mechs at 200m. Popping an ECM Raven is tough, but it can make a /huge/ difference.

#18 Jaded Jasper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:53 PM

I find Artemis is strictly better due to more concentrated damage, both against light targets and heavy targets. Back before they added ECM I tried an Awesome-R both with and without, and did much better with it.

Now that ECM cancels Artemis though... Well, I just haven't wanted to spend to remove it yet, figuring they'll likely tone ECM down. Hopefully anyway!

Oh, and you dropped Endo for Ferro? I don't get it, isn't Ferro only good if you already have Endo?

#19 Vlad Ward

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:57 PM

Being a major proponent of the Awesome chassis myself, I'm loathe to ask this, but is there any particular reason (aside from personal preference, of course) to use this 8R over, say, a Stalker? Is it just torso twist range?

I currently run a 5S with the same 4 SRM6s, 6 MLs, a larger engine (STD 300), more (22) DHS, and heavier (526) armor on a smaller, harder to hit frame. I still love my AWS-9M, and I have Master on all the Awesomes, I just couldn't really justify using up a Mechbay on the 8 series.

#20 Ravennus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:15 PM

View PostSGT Unther, on 17 January 2013 - 07:30 AM, said:

It is my understanding that CASE only prevents damage transference when used with ammo in your side torsos.
Putting CASE in your side torsos and then putting all your ammo in your legs will not make any difference, as far as I'm aware.

Anyway, this looks pretty cool.
I'm just wondering if the Stalker 3F wouldn't do this better? STK-3F
(Note: This isn't how I would personally build a Stalker 3F, I was just trying to make something as close to your AWS build as possible)

Though the arm tracking of the Awesome with the slightly better torso twist range would be nice.
Apples and Oranges I guess... kudos on making a fun and capable Awesome! :)

View PostVlad Ward, on 17 January 2013 - 04:57 PM, said:

Being a major proponent of the Awesome chassis myself, I'm loathe to ask this, but is there any particular reason (aside from personal preference, of course) to use this 8R over, say, a Stalker? Is it just torso twist range?

I currently run a 5S with the same 4 SRM6s, 6 MLs, a larger engine (STD 300), more (22) DHS, and heavier (526) armor on a smaller, harder to hit frame. I still love my AWS-9M, and I have Master on all the Awesomes, I just couldn't really justify using up a Mechbay on the 8 series.

That's actually my exact 3F build. I chose the 3F because it was identical in hardpoints to the 5S but with substantially better torso twist range.
I still like the 5S, but I use the dual AMS as that is it's stand-out feature.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users