How much do you know

20 replies to this topic

Poll: how much do you know? (101 member(s) have cast votes)

well, how much mech is in your brain?

1. None at all really, im completely new to the mech games/series/universe (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. i played that one on the xbox... does that count? i know a few mech names though :D (2 votes [1.98%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.98%

3. ive been around for awhile, i know a good bit of lore and played a few games, im familiar with enough to get by (45 votes [44.55%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 44.55%

4. i know a lottt, i may have even played the boardgame at one point :D games, cards, books, like i said, i know a lot (40 votes [39.60%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 39.60%

5. im the steven hawking of BT, walking wiki ^_^ (14 votes [13.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.86%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Rycros

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 08:06 PM

so im just curious of the general knowledge of the BT universe that everyone is familiar with.
if youre like me, ive played since i was 10, starting on mech 2, and played 3, 4 vengeance, mercs, even got the black knight and those 2 expansion packs >.> never played LL though.
however ive only read 2 books and the lore im quite unfamiliar with :[

so what about all of you? where did you start and how much did you pick up on the way?

#2 Joe Mallad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,740 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 27 May 2012 - 08:13 PM

There is sooooo much more to the universe than the video games tho. Not saying thats all you know or thtas what youre trying to say. Just that most of the universe is truly derived from the books and or the TT and its many books for rules and even more of the universe is fleshed out in the RPG (book) based games. I myself have played all the video games as well as Table top (TT), the many RPGs and have personally read a good 60+ novels.

#3 Ross486

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 27 May 2012 - 08:20 PM

I know enough lol. B)

#4 Steel Raven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 08:21 PM

IGot on board after seeing the animated cartoon, my friend got the books the the board game and Mechwarrior 2 so I've been entrenched with the BTU sense the Refusal War between the Wolves and the Falcons. I haven't kept up on all the lore but I'm a regular on the BT forums and know my mechs.

#5 Paladin1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts
  • LocationCapellan March, Federated Suns

Posted 27 May 2012 - 08:22 PM

I've been playing for over 25 years, have every book ever made for the TT game, have over 1300 minis to date and can field an entire Regimental Combat Team (33rd Avalon Hussars, to be exact) at any one time. I've played MW2, MW3, MW4, MC1 and even MechAssault and the Battletech games for the SNES and Sega.

I can recite from memory almost every `Mech, Vehicle, Fighter, Dropship, Jumpship and Warship ever made, including their loadouts, their manufacturers and most of the time their variants, if any. I can usually build and modify a design in my head, although some of the larger units like Dropships, Jumpships and Warships I still have to use a calculator for when figuring out their tonnage. If it's been published for the Battletech Universe, I either have it, have access to it or have seen it before. If it doesn't fall into one of those three categories, it either doesn't exist or is such a rare and highly sought after item that you're likely to never see a copy at all.

In short, my library and knowledge of all things Battletech has things that even Sarna doesn't have.

#6 Ross486

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 27 May 2012 - 08:23 PM

Seriously though i have read some of the Battletech novels and i like to read about Mechs on the Mechground website and Battletech wiki. I haven't played much of Mechwarrior on the pc but that is about to change with Mechwarrior: Online.

#7 LordDeathStrike

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,456 posts
  • LocationBanished from nearly every world of the Inner Sphere on suspicions of being an assassin.

Posted 27 May 2012 - 08:24 PM

View PostSteel Raven, on 27 May 2012 - 08:21 PM, said:

IGot on board after seeing the animated cartoon, my friend got the books the the board game and Mechwarrior 2 so I've been entrenched with the BTU sense the Refusal War between the Wolves and the Falcons. I haven't kept up on all the lore but I'm a regular on the BT forums and know my mechs.

i also saw the cartoon when it was new, they were showing it on cable at 5 am on saturdays i had to get up early and go watch it on the local college campus coffee huts tv since they had the channel and were open that early but no one cared what you put on the tv.

#8 Kelly Redde

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 08:28 PM

I've read many of the books, seen the cartoon a few times, played each of the games, and I also read the battletech wiki for fun.

Better question is what don't I know.

#9 Rycros

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 08:29 PM

jeez B)

definitely much more than i know about it all. i think ive read 5 books (maybe?) and never tried the TT version of it. although its been something ive been meaning to get quite a bit in to. ill be in japan for 6 months this year, i think im going to take the time and read as many of the books and see if i can get ahold of the boardgame.

any recommendation on where to start on the books? release date? or should i follow timelines? :X

#10 LordDeathStrike

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,456 posts
  • LocationBanished from nearly every world of the Inner Sphere on suspicions of being an assassin.

Posted 27 May 2012 - 08:34 PM

View PostRycros, on 27 May 2012 - 08:06 PM, said:

so im just curious of the general knowledge of the BT universe that everyone is familiar with.
if youre like me, ive played since i was 10, starting on mech 2, and played 3, 4 vengeance, mercs, even got the black knight and those 2 expansion packs >.> never played LL though.
however ive only read 2 books and the lore im quite unfamiliar with :[

so what about all of you? where did you start and how much did you pick up on the way?

ive been told by some people that i seem to know everything about everything, and i nearly used to at that, then i got old and started forgetting stuff, so now ive probably forgotten more then most people know!

#11 cinder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationSH1-0151

Posted 27 May 2012 - 08:41 PM

View PostRycros, on 27 May 2012 - 08:06 PM, said:

if youre like me, ive played since i was 10, starting on mech 2, and played 3, 4 vengeance, mercs, even got the black knight and those 2 expansion packs >.>

When I was 10, I was playing Crescent Hawk's Revenge.

I started with Battletech's 1st edition box set (2nd if you count Battledroids). I still have the box set. I have a bookshelf busting at the ends with Battletech books, and a CD rack loaded with many of the PC and platform titles in the Battletech universe. My closet is laden with set 0 and set 1 of the Battletech card game. I can identify most 'mech chassis on sight, and probably tell you the loadout too.

I have a thing for giant robots, and Battletech was my first love. I cannot express my anticipation for this game in mere words.

#12 Pyriel Ward

• PipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 62 posts
  • LocationCasa Grande,Arizona

Posted 27 May 2012 - 08:45 PM

Seen the cartoon played the TT version and all games from MW2 on. And have read almost all the books except for a few of the Dark Age novels.

#13 Owl Cutter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 08:47 PM

MW2 was my introduction to BT, also when I was around 10 years old. There seems to be a good handful of us...
I got sucked into Mercs shortly after the original Refusal War game, and I missed out on GBL. Since then I've tasted MechCommander, MW3, MW4 (including MekTek content, though probably not the latest stuff) and "the Not-Named Game" on the XBox. (I'm actually pretty excited about Reign of Thunder, now it's not labeled as a BT product!)

I've derped around in the turn-based game a bit, just enough to get a feel for how wildly different MW is from BT. I'm still getting used to the randomness of the game, but look forward to learning to enjoy it more. As for the fiction, the BT world and style doesn't fit my taste in literature, so I'm probably pretty ignorant about stuff not relevant to game mechanics by "long-time BT fan" standards...

#14 Rycros

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 08:48 PM

View Postcinder, on 27 May 2012 - 08:41 PM, said:

When I was 10, I was playing Crescent Hawk's Revenge.

I started with Battletech's 1st edition box set (2nd if you count Battledroids). I still have the box set. I have a bookshelf busting at the ends with Battletech books, and a CD rack loaded with many of the PC and platform titles in the Battletech universe. My closet is laden with set 0 and set 1 of the Battletech card game. I can identify most 'mech chassis on sight, and probably tell you the loadout too.

I have a thing for giant robots, and Battletech was my first love. I cannot express my anticipation for this game in mere words.

although ive lacked on keeping up with the universe of it all, i was ecstatic when i saw this B) after seeing that video about 2 years ago, then hearing nothing for idk how long, i cant wait to get back in the cockpit :lol:

#15 Major Bill Curtis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • LocationDuchy of Andurien

Posted 27 May 2012 - 08:51 PM

View PostPaladin1, on 27 May 2012 - 08:22 PM, said:

I've been playing for over 25 years, have every book ever made for the TT game, have over 1300 minis to date and can field an entire Regimental Combat Team (33rd Avalon Hussars, to be exact) at any one time. I've played MW2, MW3, MW4, MC1 and even MechAssault and the Battletech games for the SNES and Sega.

I can recite from memory almost every `Mech, Vehicle, Fighter, Dropship, Jumpship and Warship ever made, including their loadouts, their manufacturers and most of the time their variants, if any. I can usually build and modify a design in my head, although some of the larger units like Dropships, Jumpships and Warships I still have to use a calculator for when figuring out their tonnage. If it's been published for the Battletech Universe, I either have it, have access to it or have seen it before. If it doesn't fall into one of those three categories, it either doesn't exist or is such a rare and highly sought after item that you're likely to never see a copy at all.

In short, my library and knowledge of all things Battletech has things that even Sarna doesn't have.

Dude! 1300 minis?! That is truly incredible!

#16 Gabopentin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationBoro,UK

Posted 27 May 2012 - 08:51 PM

Played the board game for a couple of years. Played all th PC versions and add ons. This year I read every book I could find, about 60ish. Started when I was 48, now 56.

#17 Nosforontu

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 09:05 PM

Played the TT from the 3025 Era to the I believe the 3057-3060 era havent played it for a few years though and never played it much as a video game.

#18 Hellgardia

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 258 posts
  • LocationLoures, Lisboa, Portugal

Posted 27 May 2012 - 09:07 PM

I played on the PC:
MechCommander
MechCommander 2
MechWarrior
MechWarrior2 (31st CC, GBL and Mercenaries)
MechWarrior3 (normal and Pirate's Moon)
MechWarrior 4 (Vengeance, BK, Mercenaries both Vanilla and Mektek's)
MechWarrior Living Legends

I also tried MechAssault and MechAssault 2 on the XBox...

Regarding the whole Battletech universe i have read a lot of the BT books and the MWDA books.
Although the last ones had some things i disliked, i think i enjoyed all of the books i read up until now.

Cheers

Edited by Aniquilator6, 27 May 2012 - 09:07 PM.

#19 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 28 May 2012 - 04:50 AM

I'm not a walking encyclopedia, but I have some good knowledge of the universe.

Good enough to play the game and even RP a little, understand the terms, but I can never be 100% sure about what I say and need a bit of help from Sarna and fellow forumers. ;)

#20 Xaks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • LocationFlorida-ish

Posted 28 May 2012 - 04:59 AM

I'm about three steps below Paladin1.

I *was* Paladin1 there around 1997 or so. Then I moved across the county and started a new career and got married and....

well, i've been busy since then.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users