11 replies to this topic

#1 Capt Jester

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 269 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:00 PM

So I finally bought the HBK-4G today and so far it's been pretty hit and miss -- some games I do well and other games my right torso is quickly torn off and my teams leave me to die.

I'm looking to move into the possibility of taking advantage of the 3 ballistic hardpoints on the 4G, and have put together this build.

I don't know how effective it would really be, so feedback from 4G connoisseurs or AC veterans would definitely be appreciated since I'm relatively new to ballistics as a whole (played mostly lasers and missiles in MW4, only used the CLBX AC/20 when playing LAN games).

#2 Bagheera

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationStrong and Pretty

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:28 PM

Over the course of having my Founder's I've put just about every combo of ACs you can imagine in those three slots. Most of those builds were before the velocity increases from a while back, so I am not really at liberty to say how well they may or may not work now. Having said that:

Triple AC2 was fun for trolling, but for me only seemed to land good damage against the stationary targets. Also had some heat problems, trouble getting decent speed, and so on.

Dual UAC5 was up and down, depending on the state of jamming. UAC5 pairing has the same weight/maneuverability problems as the triple-2, but with added ammo issues. AC5 pairing fairs better in those respects.

I may have fiddled with something weird like an AC10/AC2 combo or UAC5/AC2/AC2, but mostly just joking around with those. I think early on I even made one back when they could still carry an engine bigger than 260 that was LB10x/MG/MG and tried light hunting with it. Of course MGs still are and always have been kinda pointless, so that was abandoned fast. I might revisit that idea if the MG buff and LPL heat tune happen in the same patch. Should be pretty easy to rock 2LPL, 3MG, and a head laser just to see if the changes were worthwhile.

But I digress. The point is that, at the time, none of those seemed as good as Gauss or (despite popular opinion at the time) AC20, but that might just be a personal preference thing.

I imagine after the ballistic velocity increases a few patches a go the mutliple AC builds could be better than I remember. Honestly though, once the AC20 was set to 900m/s, I haven't wanted anything else in there.

Here's my 4G, nicknamed "The Greatest" because it "Floats like a Butterfly and Stings like a Bee" just like the People's Champion. :)

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d04dde6e2229c7e

Edited by Bagheera, 17 January 2013 - 09:29 PM.

#3 Capt Jester

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 269 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:40 PM

Very nice, I was wondering how to get a 250 engine in there, and you have answered my prayers! Also a first to see somebody actually using FF, but saved tonnage is saved tonnage with that 12% more protection which helps with people ripping off your right torso.

#4 Silent Stryder

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 59 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:32 PM

View PostCapt Jester, on 17 January 2013 - 09:40 PM, said:

Very nice, I was wondering how to get a 250 engine in there, and you have answered my prayers! Also a first to see somebody actually using FF, but saved tonnage is saved tonnage with that 12% more protection which helps with people ripping off your right torso.

FF just is lighter armor it doensn't grant more armor I use a very similiar setup to the build the second poster labeled "The Greatest" but I stripped my armor differently slightly, if your having problems fitting it your probably havent stripped armor out I had 32 in the legs and 32/14 in the left torso's -2 armor in that torso total I think, a bit under max for the left torso because it has nothing.

Anyways I'm editing this I just had a match where I got the killing blow on 4 people in 1 match so its pretty powerful, and the extra AC20 ammo gives you room to take a few chances with landing risky shots instead of treating the ammo like gold.

Edited by Silent Stryder, 18 January 2013 - 12:00 AM.

#5 Wizard Steve

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:30 AM

I find the AC/20 to be the best way forward but it's a mech that punishes poor play. If you lose your hump, you're seriously gimped. Play smart (defensively) and look after your hump and you can do very well.

Suggested upgrades are armour, cooling, speed and an AMS:

HBK-4G

#6 Wrenchfarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:03 AM

The problem with the 4G is that while you get those extra ballistic slots, there isn't too much you can actually throw in there due to tonnage constraints. I ended up rocking the AC20 in mine as well just because it's hard to argue with such a big punch.

#7 Bagheera

• 3,920 posts
  • LocationStrong and Pretty

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:52 AM

View PostCapt Jester, on 17 January 2013 - 09:40 PM, said:

Thanks!

Well, Ferro is one of those things that one should avoid unless there is an abundance of crit space available on the mech. This usually means light mechs and the occasional medium that isn't bound by XL bulk or excessive amounts of ammo. For example, I don't think my 4SP can fit ferro even with the std engine. srm6/artemis, ammo, and DHS are taking the required space. By dropping the 250 in the 4G one doesn't need external DHS, so ferro fits.

It's a weight saving measure that let me upgrade from a 245 to a 250 and keep the SL for zombie mode. While technically you get 12% more armor for the same weight, you're still subject same maximum protection as standard, it just weighs less. I don't recall the exact numbers,but I want to say that 304, 320, and 336 are the 3 tonnage efficient (rounds to even .5 tons) points where you can max torso armor and shave a little from the legs.

I can't take credit for the idea though, someone posted a similar FF hunchie around the boards and it gave me the notion to try it.

x2 on the "unforgiving with pilot errors" nature of the 4G. Its one of those mechs that if you mess up in small ways, it can ruin your day in big ways. I've been tempted to try swapping the head laser for a medium, but not sure where to pick up the extra half ton. "The Greatest" is also open to sustained heavy LRM fire without AMS. A couple stalker/D-DC or A1 lrm boats can ruin your day fast with a good spotter or lack of cover.

Edited by Bagheera, 18 January 2013 - 07:56 AM.

#8 Ranzear

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:03 AM

Triple AC2 isn't as fun as dual LB-10x. Can't pull it off with an XL engine though, which is what you need to make such truly viable.

Big point on non -4SPs: Move some armor from the back to the front on the right torso only. If they're shooting you in the back it's not gonna make much of a difference anyway, while a little extra on your oft targeted chunk goes a long way. 3-5 points can make a huge difference.

#9 John MatriX82

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:10 AM

Dual AC5 "tweaked" for your initial build:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...90dfad758583d58

The usage of a 225 allows to obtain 1 more DHS within the engine not occupying critical slots, that allow to bring in also FF in order to get 1 or 2 more ammunitions for the dual AC5s.

However, with this HBK I've always found hard to find any real use for the multiple ballistics slot. I believe 4H is far better, you can house an AC20 in there as well, or an AC10 or a Gauss (a bit suicidal nowadays, but still effective) but with several more energy weapons slot as a backup, something you can't do in the 4G.

#10 Vechs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:20 PM

If you lose your torso, you lose your right arm medium laser.

You should put the mediums in the head and left arm, so if you lose your RT you still have 2 medium lasers, instead of 1 medium and 1 small. :)

#11 Capt Jester

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 269 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:01 PM

In regards to the talk about laser locations and losing arms, I've been thinking about switching the head to a medium laser and my right arm to a small since that's usually the first laser to go along with my hunch, and having a zombie with a medium instead of a small is a much better tradeoff.

#12 BertyBargo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Lucky Seven
  • Lucky Seven
  • 175 posts
  • LocationBurgerland

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:14 AM

I expect hate but... This is what I would do.

Gathering the funding for this monstrosity would be the main issue. Your ammo is doubled since your primary weapons are gonna be those ac5s. The XL engine will help you book it in and out of engagements and provide some heat relief. It may not be much but it offers even a little bit of a lag shield.
It's counterintuitive but I dont mind using XLs on hunches because if you lose your hunch, you're gimped anyways (save the 4sp). Maybe you can cap or engage in a baby slapfight when you have standard engine zombie mode, but sometimes death is a solution.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users