"free Hugs" Aka "t-Rex" Stk Stalker Srm30 Build

11 replies to this topic

#1 Regrets

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 382 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:03 AM

Here we have the undisputed king of brawlers. Give this a hug, and you will die almost every time. Want to run up to anything and kill it? This build is for you.

Certainly I am not the first one to run or talk about this build, but it is the best! Ignore it and die. The ambush predator is going to rip you to shreds.

Really works with any stalker variant (except 4N), with some small tweaks. 5M is preferred. I don't really even notice the 'narc tube' launcher when I am firing, it has minimal impact on your alpha, and I prefer SRM30 to the SRM24 version by a bit.

Buildzzzz:
5SL 300 STD (My favorite!!!)
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...47a652a82472b08

5SPL 275 STD, or substitute 5ML for the 5SPL (2nd/3rd favorite)
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...33e76c43b3e3f07

SRM24 5ML 300STD (4th favorite, but some prefer it best!) Drop ton of SRM for 6th ML on 3F Variant
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...220dd116d403b6e

2LL 250 STD (2nd/3rd favorite)
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e2c50a977f5d8b8

Pros and cons to each version. The 5ML and to some degree the 5SPL run hotter. 5ML has more staying power, and is pretty dangerous at 400 meters. The 5SL is a bit more nimble, I really feel the difference in just a 5 kph when closing. The 2LL is slower, but can poke and runs quite cool.

I suppose you can drop a ton of ammo from the 2LL and put 2 SL for extra defense versus lights. Really a ton of SRM ammo can be dropped, but it is already tight. Trust me, you have way more than enough ammo to kill 2 assaults if you are careful with your aim.

Tactics: Cover is your friend. Don't ever be caught out in the open. Wait for the enemy to approach while your snipers and LRM soften targets. When they try to bum rush your ally, get out of the cover and 1v1 anything.

Don't go where others aren't. Lights are a bit difficult to deal with, but catch them with some SRM as they turn the corner around a building to help path them. Generally netcode makes SRMs useless versus lights, count on your teammates to deal with these guys.

When you see an LRM Stalker or any kind of Atlas, if number are in your favor or equal, run up to it and it dies. Anyone who gives the TRex a free hug is sure to die.

Sneaking up with cover is a sure fire great tactic. Any mech caught standing still that doesn't see you is half dead after one volley.

Don't be afraid to overheat if your alpha will kill a stalker, atlas or similar. Repeat after me, OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Yeah sometimes it will not die, but rips off both torsos totally crippling the other assault. Close enough for government work!

Maps:
Caustic - Weakest map for sure. Use the lip of the Caldera or die. Protect your teammates, you are the ultimate ECM Atlas' bodyguard.

River City - You are a beast in UC. Stay away from the water!

Frozen City - Protect the ship, stick with your teammates. The buildings are your friend. Don't go past the ship without lots of support.

Forest Colony - Water is ok if you are protecting LRM/snipers. Use the Islands to cover so you can ambush enemies. The valley on the side is great cover. Stay away from open area near the hills in the middle, you will die here.

Edited by Regrets, 19 January 2013 - 09:19 AM.

#2 BertyBargo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Lucky Seven
  • Lucky Seven
  • 175 posts
  • LocationBurgerland

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:10 AM

I'm a gimp. Nice fit.

Edited by BertyBargo, 19 January 2013 - 10:12 AM.

#3 Regrets

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 382 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:20 AM

^I am sorry if I have offended you. ;)

#4 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:44 AM

I like the OP, especially your map-specific tactics. I just sold my 5S because it wasn't being used that often. I only have a 3F, but that's a special purpose mech that is staying as it is. I may pick up a 5M and try to level it during the double XP weekend.

#5 Regrets

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 382 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:54 AM

View PostNRP, on 19 January 2013 - 10:44 AM, said:

I like the OP, especially your map-specific tactics. I just sold my 5S because it wasn't being used that often. I only have a 3F, but that's a special purpose mech that is staying as it is. I may pick up a 5M and try to level it during the double XP weekend.

Thanks man. I have tried basically every possible build for the 5M (including wacky stuff like 2 ERPPC+40SHS). This build is the one I have had the best success with. I don't have the best aim, but this thing owns every match if you use good positioning. Sometimes I will just die and trade like 400 damage in 20 seconds. It is a great brawler.

Something I forget in the OP, but it is also nice with the 275 to put a single LL in CT for Zombie. You can do this with 4SL+1LL. The mouse I am using is kinda lame. Need to hook up my RAT again and will stop shying away from 3+ control group builds. :)

#6 David Darkly

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:01 AM

Definitely some food for thought here. Might be time to stop spamming LRMs and LLs.
Don't feel bad about the mouse. Alot of us need to upgrade. Though seeing as you have
one already... I'd settle for a 5 button rigt now.. come on tax refund.

#7 Elder Thorn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,422 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:05 AM

i think i encountered one of those SRM beasts yesterday - or... it encountered me: i was focusing on PPC sniping and didn't pay enough attention to my sourroundings -> BOOM one salvo to the back -> me dead :lol:

nice builds :)

#8 Ravennus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:16 AM

I've toyed with these in the mechlab as well, though I was personally looking at the 3F due to it's much wider torso twist range... very important for brawling.

Something notable about that NARC tube launcher, I just discovered on my Raven... it shoots the 6 SRM missiles in a straight line, one after another, with perfect convergence.
If you can stay on target, you can practical snipe with that from the full 270m range. It's kind of crazy.
I think this is why some people are seeing a larger focus alpha from the 5M. It's not just that you have 1 extra SRM6, but that it is shooting in a straight line and all hitting the same place if you can keep it on target.

Either way, I'm eventually going to try something like this on a 3F... again, for the extra torso twist. STK-3F Brawler
There is just a certain symmetry that I love about that build, and you get two extra heatsinks to help cool the 6 MLAS.

Your builds are great though, and your guide was very thorough. Great job!

#9 Regrets

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 382 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:23 AM

Thanks for the feedback all. I really find SRM easier to aim than LL. Obv LRM are ez mode, but it isn't easy to track someone in this game for the full laser blast from 600m away.

Also, I don't know how I forgot to try Artimis, but that is definitely viable. Can make the srmcats cry with some builds like these. I've not done too much testing with Artimis, but it is definitely viable. Try to be a little more careful with shots, you don't have as much ammo. :)
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...63ddffd5f92ed14

View PostRavennus, on 20 January 2013 - 06:16 AM, said:

Something notable about that NARC tube launcher, I just discovered on my Raven... it shoots the 6 SRM missiles in a straight line, one after another, with perfect convergence.
If you can stay on target, you can practical snipe with that from the full 270m range. It's kind of crazy.
I think this is why some people are seeing a larger focus alpha from the 5M. It's not just that you have 1 extra SRM6, but that it is shooting in a straight line and all hitting the same place if you can keep it on target.

Yeah it is hard to notice in the heat of battle, but definitely noticeable. The normal delay on the SRM6 is quite notable, so it is not as if you can aim fire move normally. I most notice is about 4 salvos into the fight, it seems the 4th-5th launchers will be firing a second slower than the first 3. No technical assessment of what is going on, just what I notice in the heat of the battle.

#10 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:58 AM

I built a 5M based on this thread (it's almost fully elited). 5 SRM6 + 5 ML. It is indeed pretty effective (100 pt alpha). I also run an AWS-8R brawler (84 pt alpha). Here's the thing as far as I can tell. Straight up "showdown at high noon" 1v1 brawling, the 5M wins most of the time. However, in a brawl in the middle of a larger battle where you need to hit and move, especially where there is cover near by, the limited torso twist really does hurt the 5M. The other thing is the missiles fire in multiple salvos, which makes it harder to land all of them on a moving target. The 8R fires all of its 24 SRMs in a single salvo and has much greater torso twist angle, which makes it easier to put all missiles on a moving target, especially in a circle strafing duel.

So which is better in practice is not so clear cut, and a lot depends on the situation and your tactics. The 5M is excellent at killing large, slow movers that don't notice you until after your first or second salvo. I really like the 5M brawler, so I'm gonna keep it. Most fools think you're an LRM boat and don't take you that seriously, which is exactly what you want them to think as you close in. But I'm not trading in my 8R either.

Anyway, thanks for this thread, Regrets. I love threads like this that give us ideas to explore new roles for our mechs.

Edited by NRP, 20 January 2013 - 09:01 AM.

#11 Regrets

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 382 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:00 AM

Haha, that's a lot of double xp this weekend!

#12 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:04 AM

Yes, I have a few mechs I need to level up. But brawling has a special place in my heart. Getting the efficiencies for the 5M was fun as hell. Didn't feel like grinding at all, unlike some other mechs. Wrecking mechs up close is really fun.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users