Is This A Viable 8Q Loadout?

9 replies to this topic

#1 Spartan075

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:10 AM

I'm aware that this thing can overheat VERY easily, but how well can it fight?
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...16284adf0c85449
It seems like it could hurt an enemy real bad in an alpha strike, but it'd take a long cooldown before firing off again.

It also seems as though this one is even more powerful, but lacks AMS and with a bit less heat efficiency.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c14b7f67dd0587d

Edited by Spartan075, 19 January 2013 - 09:13 AM.

#2 Broceratops

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:15 AM

er ppcs are very bad. you will overheat in 2 shots and then never be able to fire more than 1 of those ppcs

#3 MasterBLB

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationWarsaw,Poland

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:18 AM

If you are Master Zen of Sniping capable of hitting these 4 ER PPCs into someone's cockpit each time then this build would be somewhat potent if attacked by no more than 2 enemies at once.

Otherwise you're just a cannon fodder.

Edited by MasterBLB, 19 January 2013 - 09:19 AM.

#4 Regrets

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 382 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:34 AM

Confirmed crappy unless you are USMC sniper.

Edited by Regrets, 19 January 2013 - 09:34 AM.

#5 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:54 AM

I like PPCs. I run two ERPPCs on my 9M (RA/RT). You just need to get used to aiming them with the lag/projectile speed. The upside is you can practice shooting all you want - you'll never tun out of ammo unlike other ballistic weapons. Heat is definitely a downside though.

#6 Cabusha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 533 posts
  • LocationAK

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

ER PPCs just don't work beyond 2 with how hot they run, and it's pretty hard to make that extra range worth it on the current maps. Not impossible, but can be difficult and very situational.

I'd recommend saving for a Standard 280 Engine and Double Heatsinks. Put 2 PPCs in LT, 1 in RT, 1 Medium Pulse in head. Fill every other slot with Doubles. This gives you a great speed boost and makes you much more heat efficient. Stay about 200-300 meters from the front and provide direct fire support. If you make your shots count you can easily pop torsos and limbs, and with the new speed you can easily reposition for better sniping.

Edited by Cabusha, 19 January 2013 - 01:33 PM.

#7 Wrenchfarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:40 PM

I love PPCs!

I don't love ERPPCs.

As a big fan and admirer of hitting the enemy in the face with a crack of lightning, I want to encourage you with your insane boating. But drop those ERs in favour of some god-fearing normal PPCs. The extra range isn't as much as a benefit as you might think (call me a baddie, but I find it pretty easy to miss at 1000m+) and while the 90m dead zone on the regular PPCs is an occasional nuisance, it is manageable and in your power to prevent - you can't stop ERPPCs from overheating.

Perhaps, if you REALLY need the extra range, place 2xPPCs in your torso, and one ER in the arm. Learn to dicispline yourself to only fire the ER at ranges over 700m, and the torso pair at anything closer. That should let you keep scary sniping power without constantly keeling over.

Also, you don't need more than three. Three is the sweet spot. Fill the other slots with dependable MLAS or more heatsinks.

#8 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:53 PM

I do like ERPPCs in spite of the heat. I like slapping mechs upside the head from long range, and then I like to use them for a close range alpha too. If the regular PPC didn't have a minimum range, I'd probably use them exclusively. But for now, I prefer the ER version and I just deal with the heat.

#9 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:13 PM

In the case of 8Q I would not recommend PPC. As an Awesome, 8Q is waaaaaaaaaaay too slow as a PPC platform. If I see you on the battlefield I would manage to get within your 90m minimum range, then shoot you until you panic-fire and overheat. Then I'll enjoy chewing through you piece by piece. Not mentioning Awesome's giant torso is super-effective as an LRM magnet.

For 8Q I would recommend a Laserboat build. If it's an 9M then boating PPC is entirely okay.

#10 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:20 PM

I'm running this build on my 8Q with reasonable success:

STD280
2 PPC
2 LL
3 ML
18 DHS

Heat is manageable. I feel like this build is better than the 4 LL, 3 ML build I was using.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users