Given The Demise Of Mwll, Should Other Bt Related Mod Projects Be Affraid?

25 replies to this topic

#1 Purplefluffybunny

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:46 PM

Given that we currently have MWO and mechwarrior tactics and god knows what other type of mechwarrior game they will come up with (Urbie Assult? :D), and given that PGI have the 'exclusive' rights, will these other BT related modding projects be allowed to continue?

What are people's thoughts? (this is not a discussion about what exactly happened with MWLL but a discussion about whether other projects should fear for their existence.)

Edited by Purplefluffybunny, 17 January 2013 - 01:48 PM.

#2 Kristov Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

Hush Malice, your logic skills have no power here!

And I'd be interesting in knowing what other BT mods are being referred to? I thought MWLL was the only one in existance..if you could call it that, 50 players total isn't really a playerbase, ya know?

#3 shintakie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:55 PM

View PostKristov Kerensky, on 17 January 2013 - 01:52 PM, said:

And I'd be interesting in knowing what other BT mods are being referred to? I thought MWLL was the only one in existance..if you could call it that, 50 players total isn't really a playerbase, ya know?

50 nightly players isn't actually 50 total players.

#4 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:56 PM

And I'd be interesting in knowing what other BT mods are being referred to? I thought MWLL was the only one in existance....

MekTek is the only other one I'm aware of.

#5 TruePoindexter

• 2,605 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:58 PM

View PostM A L I C E, on 17 January 2013 - 01:48 PM, said:

My understanding was that you can't CnD a mod if they aren't operating for a profit.

Minor note but you definitely can send a cease and desist to anyone using your intellectual property - profit or no. Conflicts over usage whether dealing with copyright, intellectual property, trademarks, or other protected assets do not have to involve money to lead to litigation.

#6 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:05 PM

View PostM A L I C E, on 17 January 2013 - 01:48 PM, said:

My understanding was that you can't CnD a mod if they aren't operating for a profit.

well you can. As has been witnessed in the past many time with Lucas Arts and Fox IPs. Who are renowned for it.

and recently this one made news
http://www.moddb.com...ct/news/merp-cd

Also, MW:LL wasn't shut down over licensing.

Due to potential legal repercussions for parties involved, I cannot confirm or deny any such rumors. Please refer to the public statemnets made by Russ and the MWLL founders for official news.

Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Especially by randoms, like yourself . :D

#7 SJ SCP Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 302 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:06 PM

Mektek has it's own problems.

The only other BT thing I can think of is MegaMek and the Mekwars groups. However since MegaMek source code is readily available, there's really nothing that can be done.

Edit apparently there is going to be a minecraft mod
http://www.minecraft...d/page__st__700

His logic is incorrect, and your comments are completely off base. If you don't have a dog in the fight why are you here?

Edited by SJ SCP Wolf, 17 January 2013 - 02:09 PM.

#8 von Pilsner

• 1,043 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:24 PM

I would not be surprised if MegaMek was asked/told to quit development in the near future.

Also you can CnD (or sue) anyone who is infringing, just because they are not making a profit does not mean they are not eating into yours ('make me whole financially' is the bases of much civil action around the world).

#9 General Taskeen

• 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:30 PM

Meh, I still play MW:LL and still find it phenomenal even if the feature shop was closed on it. It is light years ahead of MWO in terms of real tactical BT gameplay on ginormous maps, 65 minute matches, where I actually feel that I'm immersed into BT itself like I'm fighting over real stuff on planets.

15 minute Solaris CoD MWO matches and cap the Mining Driller Thing just doesn't immerse me enough.

Edited by General Taskeen, 17 January 2013 - 02:31 PM.

#10 Kristov Kerensky

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:38 PM

Actually Mr Smoked Kitty, I was referring to the comment about why MWLL shut down, so perhaps you should take your own advice.

That Minecraft mod..eh..judging from their forum posts there, not seeing that being done anytime soon, if at all, but it's an interesting concept.

As for MegaMek, not a mod first off, so..probably not an issue, mods are a bit different then an open source GPL project that's been around for a very long time..like..we used it when MW2 was new in 94 long time.

#11 anonymous175

• Bad Company
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:49 PM

lol. metagame well played.

#12 Jacmac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:52 PM

View PostTruePoindexter, on 17 January 2013 - 01:58 PM, said:

Minor note but you definitely can send a cease and desist to anyone using your intellectual property - profit or no. Conflicts over usage whether dealing with copyright, intellectual property, trademarks, or other protected assets do not have to involve money to lead to litigation.

True; when TSR Hobbies owned the IP for D&D they went after anyone making their own Modules publicly available, free or not.

#13 G4M3R

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:52 PM

I don't know why this is so difficult for people whining about MW:LL being shut down. Look they did not have the right to the IP, that's it period. They were operating as far as legal is concerned ... illegally. The IP owner can choose to shut it down if they want, whenever they want, it's their legal right. The last thing the IP owner (Microsoft) wants is the dilution/devaluation of the IP's value by having a dozen non-licensed games running around. It's fairly simple to comprehend.

Lesson --- don't work on stuff when you're non-licensed.

Idealism that gaming and mods are somehow immune to commerical/corporate IP laws is foolish. That's not the real world people. Like a great rap group once said, Cash Rules Everything Around Me. That's how the cookie crumbles.

Edited by G4M3R, 17 January 2013 - 03:54 PM.

#14 CycKath

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,578 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSE QLD, Australia

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:02 PM

Its the same risk any fan-project operates under, hell technically even commercial projects can have the rug pulled out from them as easily by a displeased license holder.

#15 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:10 PM

View PostG4M3R, on 17 January 2013 - 03:52 PM, said:

I don't know why this is so difficult for people whining about MW:LL being shut down. Look they did not have the right to the IP, that's it period. They were operating as far as legal is concerned ... illegally. The IP owner can choose to shut it down if they want, whenever they want, it's their legal right. The last thing the IP owner (Microsoft) wants is the dilution/devaluation of the IP's value by having a dozen non-licensed games running around. It's fairly simple to comprehend.

Lesson --- don't work on stuff when you're non-licensed.

Stop talking nonsense.

MWLL had a license agreement with microsoft to create a TC mod on the CE2 based on the MW IP

#16 Taizan

Com Guard

• 1,692 posts
  • LocationGalatea (NRW)

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:15 PM

This thread was moved to the off-topic sub forum, where it feels more comfortable.

#17 Dante Synge

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:20 PM

View PostCycKath, on 17 January 2013 - 04:02 PM, said:

Its the same risk any fan-project operates under, hell technically even commercial projects can have the rug pulled out from them as easily by a displeased license holder.

Perfect example is Champions Online. It was originally slated to be Marvel Online, but Microsoft pulled the plug and Cryptic went on with it but changed the title and background story. We had a Republic Commando Mod in the works some years back and were asked to stop because we had no rights to work on the IP, and it was just a fan based team...

#18 Raven IIC

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:33 PM

And I'd be interesting in knowing what other BT mods are being referred to?

MechCommander OmniTech. We're a very small group, trying to bring joy to the few players of MechCommander titles.

I doubt OmniTech will have troubles, however...

Edited by Raven IIC, 17 January 2013 - 05:06 PM.

#19 Orgasmo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:40 PM

I thought the guys that worked on MW:LL also worked for Crytek. It wouldn't make sense for them to continue with MW:LL due to conflict of interest with PGI, a Crytek client.

I will say this though. MW:LL is way more complete in gameplay than MWO is currently, and the immersion factor is higher too, despite the outdated graphics.

#20 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:51 PM

oh ye of little faith. Behold, 0.7.0 release notes for MW:LL - I just DL'd it

Version 0.7.0
-------------

New Features:
- Free Reticle
- New Tank Hud
- New Mech Hud
- The ejection key has to be tapped twice now to trigger the ejection
- 4 new mech camos
- Camo for tanks and hovercrafts is now partly supported

New Content:
- Added Chimera Mech
- Added Ares Tank
- Added Masakari Mech
- Added Solitare Mech
- New Map: TC_Altay
- New Map: TC_Taiga

Bug Fixes:
- Fixed crash when shooting at destructable trees with pulse lasers
- Fixed crash in arm animation code
- Fixed reticle showing red on friendly mech legs
- Fixed not getting rewards for narced tareget getting damage
- Fixed grenades not working before opening map

Balance Changes:
- Complete Rebalance
- Tons of new variants

Edited by Gremlich Johns, 17 January 2013 - 07:04 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users