Catapult Missile Build?

12 replies to this topic

#1 Laxbrax

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:29 AM

Hi, do you reckon this is a viable build for catapult?

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...276a6f5113f9c42

Br
Laxbrax

#2 MasterBLB

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationWarsaw,Poland

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:44 AM

Only 200 missiles?You gotta be kiddin'...

#3 Ewigan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,168 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:50 AM

what master said.

#4 elde

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 77 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:50 AM

It's fast, agile and heat efficient, as long as you don't alpha all the time. Only two tons of ammo is too low, you only have enough for 6 full salvoes of missiles.

Lose the jump jets and replace them with more SRM ammo, and you're all set. Your speed will be good enough even without JJ's.

#5 Laxbrax

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:07 AM

aye i figured more ammo was needed. Jump jets not worth my while? I havent tried a mech with jump jets yet and i remember in the old games that they were frekkin awesome. Cant you do fast rotating with them and stuff?

#6 MasterBLB

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationWarsaw,Poland

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:27 AM

Consider change to A1 SRM4 Cat - 1000 ammo is enough for 41 volleys which should be enough for entire match.
Merging SRM4 with SRM6 is not a best idea due to 0.25s difference in cooldown.Besides,A1 has 15 tubes per arm only,so your 2xSRM6+1xSRM4 salvo has to be fired in 2 volleys.

#7 Lyrik

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 568 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:35 AM

And don't put your ammo in the center torso. It's to big of a target. Put the ammo in the right/left torso. It doesn't make any difference if you die because of ammo explosion or XL explosion ;)

#8 Stingz

• 1,159 posts
  • Location*SIGNAL LOST*

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:46 AM

View PostLyrik, on 21 January 2013 - 03:35 AM, said:

And don't put your ammo in the center torso. It's to big of a target. Put the ammo in the right/left torso. It doesn't make any difference if you die because of ammo explosion or XL explosion ;)

The problem is an ammo crit(Side torso and CT explosion) means a dead engine, you need to destroy the side torso otherwise.

Edited by Stingz, 21 January 2013 - 04:46 AM.

#9 OneEyed Jack

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,500 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:23 AM

View PostMasterBLB, on 21 January 2013 - 03:27 AM, said:

Consider change to A1 SRM4 Cat

I disagree. 4x SRM6 gives the same weight of fire and saves tonnage if using Arti and saves 2 Heat per volley at a loss of .25 seconds in cycle time. This build drops a little ammo, but adds 2x SSRM2. 33 volleys and 50 volleys for the streaks, or you could swap a ton of ammo and have 37/25.

OP: I wouldn't worry about the 2 volley issue, as they fire close enough together to not be much issue versus the mechs you really need that damage against. What I would recommend, personally, is drop the Arti. I just don't think it's really viable in 32 or 36 SRM builds.

#10 Lyrik

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 568 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:57 AM

View PostStingz, on 21 January 2013 - 04:46 AM, said:

The problem is an ammo crit(Side torso and CT explosion) means a dead engine, you need to destroy the side torso otherwise.

If you a engine crit, you are also dead ;-)

#11 Syllogy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,698 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:19 AM

View PostMasterBLB, on 21 January 2013 - 03:27 AM, said:

Consider change to A1 SRM4 Cat - 1000 ammo is enough for 41 volleys which should be enough for entire match.
Merging SRM4 with SRM6 is not a best idea due to 0.25s difference in cooldown.Besides,A1 has 15 tubes per arm only,so your 2xSRM6+1xSRM4 salvo has to be fired in 2 volleys.

This is incorrect.

The amount of volleys affects only each independant launcher, not every launcher added together.

IE: SRM6 x 6 (in A1 Cat) is 36 Missiles, A1 has 30 total tubes, but will launch all of them in a single burst (Missile launchers will all use the same 6 tubes in each arm) since each launcher shares the 15 available tubes.

To clarify: Yes, You can launch multiple missiles out of each individual tube at the same exact time.

View PostLyrik, on 21 January 2013 - 03:35 AM, said:

I wholeheartedly disagree.

Put your ammo in the legs first, then the head, then the arms.

Legs are much more heavily armored, so they will be protected for a while as long as you don't skimp on Leg armor.

Armor in the head does have a chance at getting crited and killing you, but unless they get a lucky shot and hit you with an AC20 in the head, it'll be a shot they need to pull off multiple times.

Ammo in the arms is largely debatable, however, if they are targeting your arms, odds are that your weapons will be gone long before you ammo.

In all of these cases, these are preferable to putting ammo in any of the torsos.

Ammo in the center will kill you, ammo in the side torso's won't kill you (as long as you aren't running an XL), but they will blow up your arms, and can destroy your engine anyway, depending on the health of the CT.

#12 Lyrik

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 568 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:03 AM

View PostSyllogy, on 21 January 2013 - 06:19 AM, said:

This is incorrect.

The amount of volleys affects only each independant launcher, not every launcher added together.

IE: SRM6 x 6 (in A1 Cat) is 36 Missiles, A1 has 30 total tubes, but will launch all of them in a single burst (Missile launchers will all use the same 6 tubes in each arm) since each launcher shares the 15 available tubes.

To clarify: Yes, You can launch multiple missiles out of each individual tube at the same exact time.

I wholeheartedly disagree.

Put your ammo in the legs first, then the head, then the arms.

Legs are much more heavily armored, so they will be protected for a while as long as you don't skimp on Leg armor.

Armor in the head does have a chance at getting crited and killing you, but unless they get a lucky shot and hit you with an AC20 in the head, it'll be a shot they need to pull off multiple times.

Ammo in the arms is largely debatable, however, if they are targeting your arms, odds are that your weapons will be gone long before you ammo.

In all of these cases, these are preferable to putting ammo in any of the torsos.

Ammo in the center will kill you, ammo in the side torso's won't kill you (as long as you aren't running an XL), but they will blow up your arms, and can destroy your engine anyway, depending on the health of the CT.

With CASE you won't die if you don't have an XL Reactor. Legs have more armor and are seldom targeted. But you can't put Case in them. If your MG ammo in the legs exploded before you can use them, you are dead.

#13 Stingz

• 1,159 posts
  • Location*SIGNAL LOST*

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:03 PM

View PostLyrik, on 21 January 2013 - 05:57 AM, said:

If you a engine crit, you are also dead ;-)

3 of them, Inner Sphere engines have 3 each side-torso (An ammo explosion is sure to kill/redline the component).

Clan XLs only has 2 each and can survive side-torso loss, you need to kill both sides. (Info for March)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users