I Haven't Seen An Awesome Mech For 30 Matches In A Row.

183 replies to this topic

#181 Livewyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:07 AM

I'm enjoying the awesome- and I'm saving the best for last ;)

Awesome 8T with 4 LL and one MPL routinely 3-600 damage (most of it precision sniping)
Awesome 8R with 4 SRM6 and two ML. Routtinely 5-800 damage.. (SRMs.. duh)
Next is the 9M :D
Awesome has to be used in it's role- a semi-fast, agile assault, with arms. (Stalkers are nice.. but they get circled easily.)

#182 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:11 AM

Use a 9M with three PPC, three SRM4 every now and then. I may not always get the kills, but I soak up a lot of firepower, dish out a TON of damage, and always feel like I am adding value to the team. I use it as a long ranged suppression mech, though. 15 seconds of nonstop PPC fire, back to back to back to back. Better keep your head down.

#183 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:36 AM

I've been running this setup on my 9M (now mastered):

XL380
1 LPL
5 MLs
1 SRM6
23 DHS
max armor

I dropped Endo to get more slots for heat sinks. The ranges of all the weapons overlap well, but it is kind of a close range build. I use it for hit and run, and it does deal decent damage as long as I'm not outnumbered. But as others have said, this "hit and run" role can arguably be performed better by other mechs (e.g. Dragon).

I guess that's what I'm struggling with here - what role should the 9M play? I suppose the high speed 3 PPC sniper role is somewhat unique, but I imagine one of the Cataphract's can do it too. I've realized that all this time, I've been using the 9M more or less as a close range mech, but I think that it's not really suited for that task. Still perplexed.

#184 Tarman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:39 AM

View PostMustrumRidcully, on 21 January 2013 - 06:47 AM, said:

At the minimum, ERLLs, MPLs and LPLs and PPCs must become more viable, I think. Without that, there is no reason to use the energy-heavy variants of the Awesome.
And somethnig must be done for ECM vs LRMs for the missile variants.

And maybe not even that will be enough, and instead the match-maker must be altered - instead of being balanced by numbers per category, it could be balanced by weight per category. So an Awesome isn't matched with a Stalker or Atlas.

maybe it also needs some hit-box tweaks. Increase the side torso hit boxes, or alter the arm hit boxes.

Other than that it's fine. ;)

It's a good mech with some really exploitable weaknesses, and it gets outclassed in a lot of areas in the meta and direct stats. It's not the worst ever but it's not the first choice for many roles.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users