Diverging Mech Choices

12 replies to this topic

#1 Pastor Priest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:34 AM

So, I'm out a computer capable of running the game for at least a few days, so I thought I would run a few options as far as new mechs. I'm getting ready to start eliting my HBKs, and with the money I get from that I am planning to go a different direction. Option #1 are the Dragons, with the 1C being my first pick. Here's my build:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...echlab#modified

Pros:
  • Respectable speed
  • Good mid range firepower with the gauss
  • 3 ML and the LL could help against lights.
Cons
  • Expensive!!!
  • Gauss distruction could = death.
  • Even with ML and LL, lights could be an issue.
My goal with this is to hit at about 400M, circling their flanks and using cover until my team's front line fighters engage. Once they do, I start taking pot shots at the enemy. As the fight progresses and targets start to get weakened, I run around, engaging quickly and picking people off. I know gauss is a contentious issue with XL engines, but if I pilot right, using cover and protecting my right arm, then I can reduce that problem. Also, the Dragon in general seems to be one to punish poor piloting (something I learned in MW2: Mercs), so it will force me to play smart.

My second, and entirely different option, is the Cataphract. Specifically, the 4X

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...echlab#modified

Pros:
  • Cheap (I already have a 250 I could swap from my HBKs)
  • A bit more armor than the Dragon
  • Dakka dakka!
Cons:
  • If it was any slower, it would be going in reverse.
  • Requires constant engagement to be effective. This limits torso twisting and cover.
  • No experience with longer range ballistics.
  • If a light finds me, I'm screwed.
It's entirely different than the Dragon, I know. If the Dragon is a surgical knife, this is a machete. For some reason, I love the idea of a constant stream of rounds hammering my targets. I've been on the receiving end of a couple 3xUAC5 Ilyas, and it works. It's also several million cheaper than the Dragon, as I have the engine and ML sitting around already. I would probably modify it more with time, maybe dropping the engine down to a 225 and see about adding another ML or some SRMs. I would also drop FF (only there to fit the ML and some ammo) and add more DHS. The speed is terrible, but I could learn to work with that.

What do you all think about these builds?

#2 Dauphni

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 473 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:27 PM

Your links aren't working properly, so it's a little hard to judge. If you click ‘Save and share loadout’ you'll get the proper URLs, so you can share them with us.

#3 Pastor Priest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:12 PM

Sorry, can't get the post to edit, and this is my first time linking the Mechlab.

DRG-1C

http://DRG-1C

CTF-4X

http://CTF-4X

#4 Narcissistic Martyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:47 PM

The 1C needs less gauss, ML and FF and more 4x LL with DHS and armor as suited to your play style. Also, less leg armor may be useful. I've found 30ish is usually sufficient unless you're going with an XL350/360 as people don't tend to leg dragons due to the big honking nose.

Or go LBX+SRM6+4ML with XL350 for maximum drive by potential.

#5 Pastor Priest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:04 AM

I do like the idea of making it a close in fighter. That was my second thought. But, I see a lot of hate for the LB10X. Is it that bad, or do people just not get it?

The LL build seems OK, but how well does the aim work out with two in the CT and two in the arm? And why no gauss? By the way, the link didn't update. I had dropped a ML and I don't ok.ow what else and put a LL in, so I would have more than the gauss shooting at medium range.

Edited by Pastor Priest, 22 January 2013 - 11:05 AM.

#6 4lex

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 75 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:32 AM

4X need more ammo imo. When you haul 28 ton of AC you wanna use em. Theres alot of different ways to build 4X but most use XL so its not cheap.

#7 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:56 AM

View PostPastor Priest, on 22 January 2013 - 11:04 AM, said:

I do like the idea of making it a close in fighter. That was my second thought. But, I see a lot of hate for the LB10X. Is it that bad, or do people just not get it?

The LL build seems OK, but how well does the aim work out with two in the CT and two in the arm? And why no gauss? By the way, the link didn't update. I had dropped a ML and I don't ok.ow what else and put a LL in, so I would have more than the gauss shooting at medium range.

On a dragon you want to get close to do rapid strikes since you're fast. Since everyone knows a dragon's most powerful weapons are usually on the RA it gets targeted pretty often so the Gauss tends to blow up pretty quickly leaving you without a lot of weaponry.

LBX is great against lights and wounded mechs it is however terrible against relatively undamaged mechs except up close. Even at range if you time it right you can disrupt your opponent's firing location enough to avoid some damage. If you want a single chunk of damage an AC10 will work out well enough.

For the LL build, you set the LA and LT lasers on different triggers and alternate fire depending on which reticule is on target. When you see a particularly wounded section on a slowish mech slow down or are being ignored, line both reticules up with that section and let them have it.Usually 36 damage to a single location will pop that section getting either a kill or some ruined components. This is especially useful at long range against splatterpults, boomcats, and all other brawling mechs that lack long range weaponry.

Edited by Narcissistic Martyr, 22 January 2013 - 11:59 AM.

#8 Pastor Priest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:30 PM

Tested the build, and even with the 250XL, the 4X is still the cheaper option. I even stuck on two more AC5s in place of the AC2s, upped ammo to 7 tons, and stuck in a couple of MLs. Seems like a fun build, and runs much cooler than the AC/5, AC/2 combo.

Since I have the AC/10 sitting around, I might give that a shot first. I'll run a few matches that way and a few with the LBX to see what feels better. With the straight 10, it could be great at flanking the slow guys, something I already try in the HBK.

I don't know what I was thinking when I asked about the LLs. Of course that's what you do. I'm just having dur moments today...

#9 4lex

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 75 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:39 PM

theres alot of different build you can try with the 4x, its a real balistic orgy.... dual gauss, quad Ac/2, quad ac/5, 2 x ac/10 + 2 x ac/2 ... lbx uac... heheh 4 machine gun 1 erppc and 1 lrm5 =)

#10 Abulafia

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:48 PM

I don't have experience with the Cataphract, but if you like speed, the Dragon is a lot of fun. The 4xLL build is fun (but a little hot) with a 350XL. With the 300XL you can run a cooler 4xLL, 2xPPC and 2xLL (my current favorite), or even (don't judge me) 4xPPC. The 1C is well worth the c-bills, if you ask me.

#11 Budor

• 2,565 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:15 PM

For 1C i ran 300xl, 4x mlas, 1x gauss with 3 tons, 1x srm6 with 1 ton and fill with DHS. Switched to flame where the same build is even better.

Cant comment on the 4X sold after unlocking basic and still think that its useless with those engine restrictions.

#12 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:19 PM

View PostNarcissistic Martyr, on 21 January 2013 - 07:47 PM, said:

I've found 30ish is usually sufficient unless you're going with an XL350/360 as people don't tend to leg dragons due to the big honking nose.

Careful there, they are a fast mech so some people will prefer legging just to take away that speed advantage. Legging dragons and catapults is one of my favorite pastimes.. ..alongside ravens and cicadas :D

#13 Pastor Priest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:26 PM

I might reserve that gauss build for the Flame, if I get one. The gauss detonation will kill me regardless with a XL, but that side torso is a lot harder to hit than the arm.

Yeah, that 4X is ballistics fun. I'm gonna have to try a few of those in the future, but will work with the 4x5/AC when I can. Now I just need my frackin' comp back!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users