Cat Master, Which Mech Next?

5 replies to this topic

#1 Phaesphoros

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:33 PM

After the double XP weekend (thanks IGP) I have now unlocked Master on all my 3 cats (K2, C1, C4). Played with many different setups, and I think I know what you can do with a cat quite well - forum helps, too.
Also, I own a trollmando/2D and a DDC (IMHO the most boring to play).

Only thing I haven't tried is to put an expensive XL in the cats, other than for 2*Gauss cat (XL195 ripped from trollmando).

I love the amount of roles you can play with those 5 mechs (scout/troll, support, sniper, lrm, brawler, ...), so I wonder if there's a mech that gives a completely different feeling/gameplay.
Maybe a Stalker with many energy hardpoints? Or a Cataphract AC boat?
You're great, MechWarriors. Thanks for your opinions.

Edited by Phaesphoros, 22 January 2013 - 12:34 PM.

#2 Budor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:37 PM

I would think about what exactly bores you while playing the DDC before going for Stalkers, i always feel way more mobile in any Atlas than in any Stalker but the 3F.

Hunchbacks (4SP & 4P) for a different weight class and Phracts (i hate the 4x its to slow) for some ACs are pretty good imho.

Edited by Budor, 22 January 2013 - 05:39 PM.

#3 Grissnap

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:08 PM

Unless a special build, the only engine I put in my Catapults is an XL 300. I definitely recommend you picking one up.

You could even kill 2 birds with one stone and buy a Centurion 9D for a new experience (mediums play very differently to a Catapult), it is also the best Centurion variant (because it is faster than the rest), and comes with an XL300 engine.

#4 Dizzywig

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:34 PM

While not impressive on the kill board, the Spider's pretty interesting to play. With good knowledge of where you can jump, you can pretty easily weave in and out of combat and run around like nothing before. It's like driving a Ferrari at top speed, knowing that it'll kill you but don't care.

Boating weapons is terrific fun too. HBK-4P's probably one of the most fun for me, strapping nine lasers to the thing basically guarantees that I'll overheat after too much firing, but a medium doing so much alpha is just funny. There was a build in another thread about six large lasers on a hunch lol. A1 Boom Cat's pretty fun too. A raven with an AC/20 is pretty unorthodox, but surprisingly fun. Ilya with 3 UAC/5s is probably the most competitive of the bunch, though. It blows holes through everything.

#5 Eisenhorne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:14 PM

Go for a Cataphract.

My 2X is basically a mini atlas... AC/20, 3ML's, 2 SRM6's. A slightly less deadly, faster, smaller, less armored atlas loadout.

The 4X I use as a gauss boat... dual Gauss are dead sexy on it, and mounting a SSRM2 + 2 ML for anti-light duty means your no pushover in close quarters combat either.

#6 Phaesphoros

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:07 PM

Thanks for your opinions and hints

@Budor: you hit the mark; DDC is too slow for me and performs (I perform) poor as a med/long range for all these huge hitboxes. And it attracts fire.

@Grissnap: Thank you very much. Followed your advice, I played the CN9D a lot as a trial mech and enjoyed it - now I own it and already tested its XL300 in a K2. Really nice! (1-shotted a spider with 4 ppcs :))

@Dizzywig: Is the spider so much different from a commando with XL195 (130 km/h)? Hunchback looks and feels to me as a smaller cat (the trial 4SP at least) with no more speed nor firepower. The versions with more hardpoints might be fun, will try them eventually. Boats... well I tried to avoid them - own no A1 for that reason, yet I enjoy my ppc K2 boat. A raven with AC/20? Maybe when net code has been fixed ;)

@Eisenhorne: Well I tried the new trial CTF-3D and found it to be more agile than I thought. That said, I already played the Gauss cat but didn't really enjoy it. Maybe to put em in the arms would help. If you just could mount 4 UAC/5s to a 4X, that would be really nice ^_^

Edited by Phaesphoros, 24 January 2013 - 06:36 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users