Mouse Button Binding

16 replies to this topic

#1 FEK315

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 337 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:19 PM

Are there only 5 Mouse button listeners in Options? I have a mouse that has 13 buttons on it, I can only bind 5, depressing the rest doesn't even register a click. Any one know what up?

#2 Blaze32

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 428 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:47 PM

It is because they changed it for an unknown reason around march this year (or earlier). They also took away scrolling as a button as well (scroll up and scroll down) which is a shame because it was the easiest way to switch weapon groups... :)

#3 Garagano

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 862 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:29 AM

There was a legal way to use these Buttons by manually changes in the config files but it is now forbidden since they changed the rules:
http://mwomercs.com/...wo-game-client/

So dont do it! Wait for a patch that solves this problem. No matter how long this takes. Even Years.
You could search for a solution in THIS forum somewhere, but DARE YOU if you try to use it in your game client! Its forbidden. :)

#4 evilC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:31 AM

There are only 5 mouse "buttons" in windows (Plus wheel up/down but they do not count as they send only a down event not an up event)

LMB, RMB, MMB (Wheel click), XBUTTON1 (Side 1 - "Forward"), XBUTTON2 (Side 2 - "Back").

This is why MWO only lists mouse 1-5

In order to get your extra mouse buttons to work, you need to use the software that came with your mouse to program that button to a keyboard key.

Edited by evilC, 31 July 2013 - 04:32 AM.

#5 evilC

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:40 AM

View PostGaragano, on 31 July 2013 - 01:29 AM, said:

There was a legal way to use these Buttons by manually changes in the config files but it is now forbidden since they changed the rules:
http://mwomercs.com/...wo-game-client/

So dont do it! Wait for a patch that solves this problem. No matter how long this takes. Even Years.
You could search for a solution in THIS forum somewhere, but DARE YOU if you try to use it in your game client! Its forbidden. :)

This is incorrect.
Firstly, editing config files will not let you bind mouse buttons that simply do not exist, as per my post above.

Secondly, they specifically allow changes to facilitate input configuration.
You are allowed to edit user.cfg for this purpose, and any sane person would agree that this would logically extend to actionmap.xml also, which is where he would need to make any change that the game UI would not allow him to set (eg to add a mouse wheel binding that is not possible to do via the game UI)

#6 FEK315

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 337 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:13 AM

View PostevilC, on 31 July 2013 - 04:31 AM, said:

1. In order to get your extra mouse buttons to work, you need to use the software that came with your mouse to program that button to a keyboard key.

I did that and MWO will not recognize any more buttons even though the buttons are mapped to keystrokes or macros.
I know the mouse is working and programmed correctly because those programmed buttons work in windows, notepad and other programs.

The M90 mouse has on board memory and or software memory, i tried both neither work.

View PostevilC, on 31 July 2013 - 04:31 AM, said:

You are allowed to edit user.cfg for this purpose, and any sane person would agree that this would logically extend to actionmap.xml also, which is where he would need to make any change that the game UI would not allow him to set (eg to add a mouse wheel binding that is not possible to do via the game UI)

2. How do I do that?
Should I even try it?
Do you think MWO will add more mouse bindings in the future?

Edited by FEK315, 31 July 2013 - 05:37 AM.

#7 Garagano

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 862 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:38 AM

View PostevilC, on 31 July 2013 - 04:40 AM, said:

This is incorrect.
Firstly, editing config files will not let you bind mouse buttons that simply do not exist, as per my post above.

Wrong.
They have definitely disallowed the XML edit in ANY way. You should read the link.
I can understand your point in being allowed to change the XML personally, and i support this idea. But PGI thinks other way.
user.cfg for Joystick input is the only modification allowed currently, as far as i understand.

The Mods already "sencored" posts from me where i simply tried to explain how to make theses simple XML edits to make payers live easier. So thats why i approached a more "indirect" way in this thread.

Q: May I modify the game XML files?

A: No. We have allowed modifications to XML files in the past, specifically for joystick control during the Closed Beta period. As of March 19, 2013 we have added analog joystick support to the client; these XML file modifications should no longer be required. All customization options that are not within the MWO game client options should only be performed in the user.cfg file as discussed above. Again, these modifications are not supported by Support.

My post about the change "hint in this forum" was meant for the wheel thingie with mwheel_up mwheel_down. I dont posses a 6+ Button Mouse, so i cant say anything about that.
Is it Possible to emulate the extra mouse buttons as Joystick buttons in the driver settings? This would be nice and easy workaround to use these extra buttons as simple joystick buttons in MWO.

#8 Garagano

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 862 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:56 AM

View PostFEK315, on 31 July 2013 - 05:13 AM, said:

2. How do I do that?
Should I even try it?

look into the "Vengeance Gaming Software" and bind the mouse buttons to keyboard keys.
Go into the game menu and set the ALT KEY MAP in MWO to the key of your mouse button.
Thats how i would do it.

page 6
http://www.corsair.c...de_Rev_1.1_.pdf

#9 evilC

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:22 AM

Yeah, whatever, if they tried banning accounts because people made an entry in the xml file for a mapping, there is no way they would get away with it.
They may try and censor information, but that is about the limit of what they can do as long as all you are doing is a mapping.

View PostFEK315, on 31 July 2013 - 05:13 AM, said:

2. How do I do that?
Should I even try it?

No. This is not the problem in your situation and will gain you nothing.

Did you try my test?
Map mouse button to a in mouse software
test in notepad
test in MWO (Open chat box, push button, does a appear?)

If a DOES appear in the chat box, then there is an issue with the MWO bind code recognizing the button (Can happen if the button it sends is "held" for less than 50ms)

If it DOESN'T appear in the chat box, MWO is not getting the commands.

Have you set a profile in your mouse software for MWO? Maybe you are programming the Default profile, but when you switch to MWO it uses the MWO profile, which is blank? That would explain it working in notepad but not showing up in the MWO chatbox.

Edited by evilC, 31 July 2013 - 06:23 AM.

#10 evilC

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:28 AM

In fact, a simpler way to test without having to go into game.
In mechbay, click "Add Friend" and then push the mouse button. "a" should appear in the box you use to type in the name.

#11 FEK315

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 337 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:24 PM

nope it didn't work. :)

#12 evilC

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:57 AM

Well if you tried my test and got no keys appearing in the chat box, then that is telling us that your problem is most likely to do with admin rights. MWO runs as admin, and this can cause problems with other programs trying to do stuff while it is the active window.

Next thing to find out is how your windows is set up.
Do you have UAC enabled? If so, try disabling UAC (Instructions here) and see if that solves the problem.
If that solves the problem, you can maybe go back to UAC, but you would need to run your mouse software as admin maybe.

#13 FEK315

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 337 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:27 AM

Oh this sounds exciting! I will try it tonight and get back to you. This could be cool I hope this is it.

#14 FEK315

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 337 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 04:40 PM

that seems to have worked!!!!!!!!!!!
how do I run my mouse as admin?

#15 evilC

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 08 August 2013 - 03:11 AM

Find the executable for the mouse software (Easiest way is probs to run task manager, find the process and then right click -> Open file location).

Right click the executable, select Properties.
Go to the "Compatability" tab and tick the box that says "Run this program as an administrator".

You would probably then need to either kill the mouse software and re-run, or just re-boot.

#16 FEK315

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 337 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:11 AM

THANK YOU evilC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That worked!!!!
I tried all the .exes in the folder and none worked singly so I admined all of them and IT WORK!!!
WoooT!
I hope to see you out on the Terra BRO THANKYOU AGAIN!!!!

I should add that I had to run the mouse on software instead of hardware meaning all the keystrokes are stored in the software and not the mouse's on board memory.

Edited by FEK315, 09 August 2013 - 05:13 AM.

#17 evilC

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:46 AM

Glad I could help.
Is everyone else with Corsair mice experiencing this issue?

No loss about the software - the only real use for the hardware mode is if you take your mouse to play on someone else's PC.
You want the software mode anyway, as that will be the one that supports profile switching.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users