Is The Stalker Only A Boat Mech?

51 replies to this topic

#1 JodoKaden

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:59 PM

Some people seem to think that Stalkers can only be used to boat LRMs/SRMs/SSRMs/LargeLasers/PPCs or whatever else you feel like boating. I decided to see what I could do about making a usable nonboat setup. This is the result. Yes I know I'm a bad player please don't flame me D:

Please post your thoughts on this down below B)

Edited by JodoKaden, 23 January 2013 - 02:45 PM.

#2 Philldoe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 204 posts
  • LocationTurn Around...

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:02 PM

My first 5S build used 2x LRM 15's 2x ER Large and 2x Streak 2's. It was never a top scoring mech but it was a consistant all rounder. Of course I ended up with 2x Streak 2's and 4x Large Lasers because..well.. it's a far better loadout than the other (I have another variant as my SRM boat so I wanted to do somthing else with this one.)

#3 EyeOne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,488 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationCockpit, Stone Rhino

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:04 PM

I don't boat on mine. It gets boring after a while if you boat.

I run: (2) ERPPCs, (3) Medium Lasers and (2) LRM10s with 21 DHS.

#4 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:08 PM

My best/favorite Stalker config is a STK-5M with two LRM-15s, one LRM-5, four Medium Lasers, TAG, and two SRM-6s.

I also have a STK-3H with four large Lasers, two SRM-6s, and two SRM4s, which is a close second.

My STK-3F has six Medium Lasers, four SRM-6s with Artemis, and an uprated engine. Helluva brawler, but not real versatile.

Of those, I'd consider maybe the -3F to be closest to a "boat" - the rest have a more varied range of capabilities and weapon types.

Really, what I think is awesome about the Stalker is that it can be extremely effective without needing to be a "boat" focusing on one range or weapon type - just don't skimp on the heat sinks! ;)

#5 FromHell2k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 734 posts
  • LocationGerm0ney

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:18 PM

;)

#6 Ivanzypher

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 94 posts
  • LocationManchester UK

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:26 PM

I run my 3F with a near stock loadout. Kept the weapons the same ie. 2LLas 4Mlas 2SRM6 2LRM10. Just added endo to squeeze in an extra ton of LRM ammo and a few heatsinks. Usually top damage with it, break the 1000 barrier more often than any other mech I have used. In my opinion, the stock loadout is the perfect weapon combo for it.

#7 Valrek

• PipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 52 posts
  • Locationwashington

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:27 PM

My fave stalker build on the STK-3F so far:
2 PPC
4 Med lasers
2 StreakSRM2
2 LRM10
21 HS
Good all around mech build, done pretty well with it so far. Biggest disadvantage is the turn speed, it takes forever to turn around in one lol

#8 Screech

• Knight Errant
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:26 PM

3F as well.

2 ERPPC
4 Med lasers
2 SRM6
19 DHS
STD 295(might be better with a 300)

Great pug assault. Runs a little hot, but is effective at any range and can stay in the fight a long time. And if they ever lower the heat on PPCs it will only be better.

#9 Dreamslave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts
  • LocationUpstate New York

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:32 PM

View PostIvanzypher, on 23 January 2013 - 02:26 PM, said:

I run my 3F with a near stock loadout. Kept the weapons the same ie. 2LLas 4Mlas 2SRM6 2LRM10. Just added endo to squeeze in an extra ton of LRM ammo and a few heatsinks. Usually top damage with it, break the 1000 barrier more often than any other mech I have used. In my opinion, the stock loadout is the perfect weapon combo for it.

Breaking the 1000 damage barrier is "cool" and all, but players need to realize damage is one of the worst stats to judge skill by. The higher the damage, the more inaccurate the pilot. LRM's aside, having large and medium lasers gives you pinpoint accuracy at medium-long range. While getting over 1000 damage consistently is nice to look at, it also means you are not very accurate. Just a thought.

#10 Sir Wulfrick

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 872 posts
  • LocationIn a warship, over your planet :-)

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:38 PM

View PostDreamslave, on 23 January 2013 - 03:32 PM, said:

Breaking the 1000 damage barrier is "cool" and all, but players need to realize damage is one of the worst stats to judge skill by. The higher the damage, the more inaccurate the pilot. LRM's aside, having large and medium lasers gives you pinpoint accuracy at medium-long range. While getting over 1000 damage consistently is nice to look at, it also means you are not very accurate. Just a thought.

Or alternatively it could mean that you dish out vast amounts of damage and have kills... made by others... at the last minute. Not necessarily indicative of poor aim.

#11 BLUPRNT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 616 posts
  • LocationLake Something or Other, WA

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:58 PM

View PostDreamslave, on 23 January 2013 - 03:32 PM, said:

What? If you can survive long enough to be efficient enough to dish out a 1000 damage especially in a Stalker you get an ada boy from me!

#12 Termius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 170 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:24 PM

My Stalker-5M has 4 LRM 15's with artemis, a tag and 4 ML. I like to run him for the pleasure of dropping atlases by 10% with each volley ;)

#13 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:36 PM

SRM and LRM builds give much higher damage than all ballistic or all energy builds so damage really isn't the best metric to gauge skill. That said, surviving to get 1000 damage is noteworthy.

#14 Ivanzypher

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 94 posts
  • LocationManchester UK

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

I'm not saying damage alone is the perfect indicator of performance, but usually the more damage someone does the more impact they have had on the game. Even if my 1000 damage was spread over entire mechs, stripping off every point of armour, thats like, what, 2 or 3 mechs dead still? Now obviously that isn't the case, I focus my fire rather effectively if I do say so myself. When end I a match with a score like this......
Posted Image
I think I can say I had a major impact on the battle(I know thats an Awesome pic, not Stalker. Didn't have a stalker pic to hand)

#15 Renthrak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:17 PM

In the right hands, the Stalker can be one of the most effective 'Mechs in the game. If the pilot doesn't know how to use it, the Stalker is just target practice.

Some of the best Stalkers I've seen have dropped LRMs entirely, taking ERPPCs or ERLLs for long range instead. I've even seen someone using a 4x LPLAS Stalker, and getting 5 or 6 kills on a regular basis with it. It's impressive to see a lighter 'Mech get into a straight-up slugging match with an Atlas and just tear it apart.

The Stalker has been my favorite 'Mech since MW2: Mercs.

#16 Eddrick

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 1,493 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanyon Lake, TX.

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:20 PM

The Stalker doesn't have to boat weapons. It's just very effective at it.

#17 Serapth

• 1,674 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:23 PM

Its a great boat, in that it can boat and not boat at the same time, unlike the CAT. Thats what you get instead of the speed and torso twist of the cat.

For my Stalker, I run 5xSRM6 ( very much boating... ), but still have space for 5 tons of ammo and 3xLL plus heat sinks to fire them.
3xLL is pretty damned respectable ranged firepower while waiting to close range for your SRM surprise.

#18 GalaxyBluestar

• 3,748 posts
  • Location...

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:26 PM

View PostIvanzypher, on 23 January 2013 - 05:02 PM, said:

Posted Image

first time i've been impressed by a score card, you did it in an awesome. whispy is dead, long live the new uber MWO player! it's taken some months but someone's made the awesome perform like it was op or something, wished you fraps that match would've loved to have seen it!

btw you load out with ppcs i presume?

#19 Funkin Disher

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 590 posts
  • LocationPPC Apocalypse Bunker, Sydney

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:37 PM

My current Stalker Builds:
Stock with upgrades for more ammo & heatsinks, thinking of changing the LRMs for more SRMs or changing the LL to PPCs and more heat sinks.

2 PPCs, 2 SRM6s, 2 Medium lasers. Not the best DPS but very well rounded.

3 LL, 1 tag, 2 LRM10, 2 SRM4. Not my favourite, but can mix it up pretty good.

I've also tried PPCboats, LRMboats and SRMboats. They all worked fine, but I like 2-3 of a single weapon type over 4-5.

#20 Firelizard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 607 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:37 PM

I tend to run a 3F's stock weapon load in a 5S, backed by DHS, extra ammo, and double AMS. May not be the best scoring mech out there, but it does what I want it to do.

While all those hardpoints allow for boating, they also allow you to run a serviceable 'party-mix' as well.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users