#1 Cifu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 348 posts
  • LocationHungary, EU

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:50 AM

Well, to take it short:

The energy weapons have one big drawback: heat generation. Because of this the "simple" fireweapons won't dissapeared in the Battletech's battlefield (regardless of how many drawback they had: limited ammunition and chance of ammo explosion). As watch the video several time - and yes, i know the game is around alpha status, and we don't know how the weapon balance working - i noted one thing:

The overheat seems to be only have one drawback: a big red warning message.​

We won't seen blurred picture, as the overheated reactor slowly cook the pilot, and the overheated air is circulating around our hot mech.

So the overheated mech have to get some drawback (as in the tabletop game rules taking care of this). So a overheated mech have to be:

-Slower
-Loose aiming
-Have problem with the ammo cook-off (ammo explosion chance)
-etc.

And it's been nice to see visualy how the hot mech generate hot air around him...

Any notes about this?

(Sorry, i check several pages about this, but won't find anything similar, if this thing talked over-and-over, then please forgive this topic)

Edited by Cifu, 14 March 2012 - 02:22 PM.

#2 CloakRogue

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:07 AM

From what I read I think I agree with you...
However, you might want to fix the terrible grammer.

#3 SnowDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 476 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland, Australia

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:17 AM

Been in MechWarrior since the dawn of time, I'm afraid.

#4 Lex Peregrine

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 206 posts
  • LocationPoznan, Sarna March, FC

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:23 AM

I agree, past games have never had consequences for overheating besides warning messages, shut downs or the ocasional explosion. I wish MWO has more neat stuff to make our life miserable :)

A sugestion is a simple screen red-out, with level of effect proporcional to heat level.
Another thing I would like to see is similar black-outs when you get hit with stuff like AC20 or large missile barrages, or fall on your face :)

other effects of heat could be equipment malfunction, like hud with abnormal graphics and aiming reticle glitches

#5 SnowDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 476 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:25 AM

In MW4 the heat issues were offset if you took a head hit, since the HUD would flicker uncontrollably from that.

#6 Lex Peregrine

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 206 posts
  • LocationPoznan, Sarna March, FC

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:33 AM

Yea you're right, well im sure they can do better :)

#7 SnowDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 476 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:37 AM

Best part of MW3: Bullet holes in the cockpit glass from bullet hits.

#8 Aegis Kleais

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:38 AM

View PostCloakRogue, on 14 March 2012 - 07:07 AM, said:

And you, your terrible spelling. It's grammar. :)

#9 Siilk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:47 AM

Redlining as well as overheating should definitely lead to severe consequences such as(from low to high heat):

* partial HUD disruption
* Temporary equipment malfunction
* Reticle shaking due to spontaneous twitching in myomers
* Blurry vision(due to excessive cockpit heat)
>Overrideable Auto-shutdown here<
* Permanent heatsink damage
* Permanent Internals damage
* Total HUD disruption
* Ammo cook-offs
* Heatstroke-induced redout
>Unoverrideable auto-shutdown<
* Reactor core meltdown, permanent damage to reactor
* Reactor core breach, mech destruction.

Note, that even though there is unoverrideable auto-shutdown, reactor core meltdown or breach is possible if there would be a high heat spike while mech is still very hot.

#10 TheRulesLawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts
  • LocationChicagoland

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:16 AM

View PostCifu, on 14 March 2012 - 06:50 AM, said:

The overheat seems to be only have one drawback: a big red warning message.​

It's pre-alpha. Obviously heat isn't working yet. Heat does bad stuff in canon. Don't worry it'll get there.

#11 Cifu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 348 posts
  • LocationHungary, EU

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:20 PM

Thanks. :D

Please note the fact i'm not a native english-speaker, and i believe you are more like my english grammar than my german, russian or hungarian grammar. ;)

I know my english is very far from acceptable level, and believe me i try to improve it as i can. ;)

View PostSnowDragon, on 14 March 2012 - 07:17 AM, said:

Been in MechWarrior since the dawn of time, I'm afraid.

The ammo explosion: yes.
I remember some sort of blurring in the MW3, but that's all i can recollect in this case.

The BT heat scale had a complex penalty table, lowering the speed, make harder to aim, etc.
As i remember, not an MW title had speed penalty for overheat, or make really harder to aim...

But if i'm wrong, please someone correct me.

View PostSiilk, on 14 March 2012 - 07:47 AM, said:

Redlining as well as overheating should definitely lead to severe consequences such as(from low to high heat):

* partial HUD disruption
* Temporary equipment malfunction
* Reticle shaking due to spontaneous twitching in myomers
* Blurry vision(due to excessive cockpit heat)
>Overrideable Auto-shutdown here<
* Permanent heatsink damage
* Permanent Internals damage
* Total HUD disruption
* Ammo cook-offs
* Heatstroke-induced redout
>Unoverrideable auto-shutdown<
* Reactor core meltdown, permanent damage to reactor
* Reactor core breach, mech destruction.

Note, that even though there is unoverrideable auto-shutdown, reactor core meltdown or breach is possible if there would be a high heat spike while mech is still very hot.

Nice! I can live with that! :)

View PostTheRulesLawyer, on 14 March 2012 - 09:16 AM, said:

It's pre-alpha. Obviously heat isn't working yet. Heat does bad stuff in canon. Don't worry it'll get there.

That's why this topic placed in the suggestion section. If the devs have something similar in their spreadsheets, then fine. If not, then this is a good place to get the idea...

Edited by Cifu, 14 March 2012 - 02:35 PM.

#12 CloakRogue

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:09 AM

View PostAegis Kleais™, on 14 March 2012 - 07:38 AM, said:

And you, your terrible spelling. It's grammar. :P

hahaha :D
i didnt mean it in a bad way though

View PostCifu, on 14 March 2012 - 02:20 PM, said:

Thanks. :P

Please note the fact i'm not a native english-speaker, and i believe you are more like my english grammar than my german, russian or hungarian grammar. B)

I know my english is very far from acceptable level, and believe me i try to improve it as i can. ;)

Ah, yes, I noticed that as soon as I had posted.

Edited by CloakRogue, 15 March 2012 - 07:10 AM.

#13 KodeShikou

Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:27 AM

View PostLex Peregrine, on 14 March 2012 - 07:23 AM, said:

I agree, past games have never had consequences for overheating besides warning messages, shut downs or the ocasional explosion.

I know what you mean. I remember the MechWarrior 3 days quite well for that, in fact. The first time my 'mech suffered a reactor breach from massive overheating, overriding auto-shutdown repeatedly, and spamming my energy weapons in the red zone too much and my 'mech went thermonuclear, leaving a tidy little crater, which coincidentally destroyed everything within 50-100 meters of the blast zone. I was in shock, and awe. Mainly because it was my second playthrough, and I had never witnessed such a spectacular end to massive overheating over a prolonged period of time. After that I experimented with various builds meant to push my 'mechs own reactor to critical levels, then alpha-striking to see if it would happen again, or if I could induce a reactor breach in an enemy 'mech through use of assault 'mechs carrying nothing but flamers.

Honestly, one of the most beautiful things I'd ever seen in the games, and it made me feel awesome that they thought of something that would show up only once in a blue moon, and I would love to see something like that again.

Sadly, I can see how it could be abused...kamikaze alpha-strikes while in the red-zone, just to take your enemy with you, or flamethrower-only scout 'mechs designed to induce massive overheating (something I already do, just for the heck of it.)

But other things I've liked in other games, e.g. MW4 with the black smoke pouring off of the 'mech while it's overheating, distorting HUDs due to high temps, and internal machinery or ammunition cooking off after the 'mech was destroyed which would gut the unit, or ammo cooking off just because of extended exposure to high temperatures of the core. Which is why I remember CASEs being so useful, in case core temp would cook off ammo.

I'm sure these things have been briefly mentioned in the thread already, but I felt it was worth bumping this thread for posterity and the hope that there will be more consequences for a battlemech for deliberately fighting in the red zone and overriding the auto-shutdown.

Edited by KodeShikou, 02 September 2012 - 08:27 AM.

#14 Davison

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 50 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:35 PM

All I can say is. Agreed. Overheating should have consequences besides shutdown at the very tail end of it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users