One Ecm & One Command Console Per Lance?

6 replies to this topic

#1 Slater01

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 430 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:13 PM

Below is a possible Match Making mechanic if PGI is still working on a 4 mechs per group mechanic.
  • Player 1 forms a 4 person/battlemech group.
  • Currently this group must meet requirements before drop; like do all the mechs have an engine and is there really 4 people?
  • We can expand on this to have the precheck only allow for X tonage. Or have the tonage fall into a bracket; 235t = average lance, 130t = light lance, 195t = medium lance, 275t = heavy lance, 340t = assault lance, for example
  • This precheck can also check for other restrictions, such as only allowing one ECM and 1 Command Console per 4 mech group.
  • This can even be expanded to only allow one Hero mech, or Clan mech (depending on the current timeline).
  • And/or it can even go so far to allow no two of the same type of mech varient. So each player in a lance will be fielding a different mech, or at least a different varient. This can help reduce the amount of people capitalizing on a broken mechanic. And it can help to establish a more "natural" feel of the battletech world.
  • Once this Player 1s group meets the prerequisites, then they can bind with another 4 player group, and then again with a third. Each time it binds with a group it may check for which tonage bracket they belong to.
  • Some matches may have a wieght restriction, and this mechanic can help a company of lances meet those restrictions.

Of course I don't write code, nor do I work at PGI, but I do like the feel that PGI is aiming for. and I think with a more restrictive grouping mechanic that they can acheive a more "battletech" feel to the MWO experience.

PS; ECM is not broken, its the amount of ECM mechs being fielded that kills the MWO experience.

Edited by Slater01, 23 January 2013 - 04:16 PM.

#2 focuspark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:31 PM

Why only one of each? Do you feel they overly powerful? If so, please describe.

I feel ECM is overly powerful and these work-around are thoughtful, but I feel they do not address the root problem that ECM is far too powerful as it is.

#3 Slater01

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 430 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:50 PM

If your in our current match system there would only be 2 ecm mechs per side. Neither side would have the advantage of loading up a wave of ECM toting mechs vs a team of non ECM mechs. Granted ECM is a powerful tool in its own right - hence some sort of restriction method. How have your current game experieces been when both teams had only a couple ECM mechs each? For me those have been quality experiences.

Edited by Slater01, 23 January 2013 - 05:01 PM.

#4 focuspark

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:12 PM

View PostSlater01, on 23 January 2013 - 04:50 PM, said:

If your in our current match system there would only be 2 ecm mechs per side. Neither side would have the advantage of loading up a wave of ECM toting mechs vs a team of non ECM mechs. Granted ECM is a powerful tool in its own right - hence some sort of restriction method. How have your current game experieces been when both teams had only a couple ECM mechs each? For me those have been quality experiences.

With one or two ECM per side it's not bad, but too often it's 1 or 2 ECM vs 5 or 6 ECM and then it's game over. I think ECM needs to be made balanced instead of artificially limited. You don't see people asking for Medium Lasers to be limited on the battlefield because they're pretty much balanced.

#5 Slater01

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 430 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:25 PM

No, but there will be other aspects of the game that will be powerful in their own right. These could be the Command Console and the Artilery / Bombardment modules that were mentioned today in the Ask Devs #30 Answers.

I do agree that ECM is super powerful, the problem is that they already have all the coding in place and it works. I personally think that PGI has a larger view of things to come that we can't see, and they can't tell us (till offical launch?) hence why little to no reponse has been made about ECM.

#6 Slater01

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 430 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:57 AM

Anyone else?
What do u guys think?
PGI? hello PGI? what does PGI think?

#7 focuspark

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:05 AM

View PostSlater01, on 23 January 2013 - 05:25 PM, said:

No, but there will be other aspects of the game that will be powerful in their own right. These could be the Command Console and the Artilery / Bombardment modules that were mentioned today in the Ask Devs #30 Answers.

I do agree that ECM is super powerful, the problem is that they already have all the coding in place and it works. I personally think that PGI has a larger view of things to come that we can't see, and they can't tell us (till offical launch?) hence why little to no reponse has been made about ECM.

Agreed but seeing as how this is a multiplayer game with customization, choice needs to be meaningful and by meaningful I mean balanced. A 1.5 ton component should not be as game changing as ECM is. Command Console will need to be balanced as well.

The artillery and stuff you're talking about will be modules which will have their own balancing issues. The rule of thumb is: if you or the team needs a specific piece of equipment to win then that piece of equipment is unbalanced and needs to be adjusted.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users