Artemis: My First Mech

4 replies to this topic

#1 Alkem258

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:28 PM

Hey all, I've only been playing a few hours but have some history with older MW games (MW2 in particular).

I was hoping to get some feedback on a Hunchback I've been working on- as I said my experience in this game is hours old so forgive anything simple I've overlooked.

Head --18 armour
Life Support
Sensors
Cockpit
Med. Laser

Torso L 36 armour
AMS
2x Double H/S
3x Dynamic Structure
2 free

T. C. 52 armour rear 10 armour
Std. Eng. 200
2x dynamic structure
Gyro

T. R 40 armour rear 8 armour
AC/20
2 x Dynamic structure

L. Arm 32 armour
Med. Pulse laser
VArious acuators
Dynamic structure
2 x double heatsink

R Arm 32 armour
Various actuators
Med Pulse LAser

L Leg 18 armour
2x AC/20 ammo

R Leg 18 armour
1 x ac/20 ammo
1x AMS ammo

STATS:
speed: 64.8 kp/h
Firepower: 37
Heat efficiency: 1.32
Armour - std. 272

Endo-steel structure.

The base idea with this is hard-hitting alpha for support/ ambush

Comments? critique?

Afterthought
Last battle I had a bit of luck to come across a damaged catapult at short range- alpha to the cockpit blew him up mid stride :D I do like my AC/20 :D

#2 Capt Jester

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 269 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:04 PM

I'd advise dropping the pulse lasers and opting for medium lasers. You'll have spare tonnage for ammo or more lasers depending on what Hunchback you're running (4G or 4H?).

Also, a great tool for building (and saving!) and sharing mech builds can be found here.

Edit: Dropping the MPL for MLas will also give you more armor. The max armor on a Hunchback is 338, so 60 points would do you well as a close quarters fighter.

Edited by Capt Jester, 23 January 2013 - 10:05 PM.

#3 SodaFizz

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 73 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:15 PM

First off, Welcome to MWO, I am sure you are going to love it and congrats on your first mech. MWO is a bit more strategic with regards to heat and weight and crit space management so you are going to have a steep learning curve.

The AC 20 is great, but generates a lot of heat and weight and its ammo is like bootleg fireworks in a leg with 18 points of armor. If they hit the leg those rounds will cook off and you will explode.

For this rig, I would ditch the AC 20 and whack in a PPC or an AC10, The PPC with 2 more heatsinks will never run out of ammo, so you can likely top off the mechs legs with armor. (At least 30)

The med pulse are great for pew pew, but they do generate quite a lot of heat, By moving to a standard 250 you will put on a bit of weight but it comes with 2 more double heat sinks so its a good trade off as at 60km you are an easy mark.

I have had a lot of success with 4 med lasers in the arms, and 2 large lasers in the torso, for when you need to alpha a rear torso. , Or an ER-PPC/Gauss if you long range.

Anyhow good luck and check out Mechspecs.com for potential builds.

Happy Hunting

Soda

#4 80Bit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 555 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:27 PM

Capt Jester is right about the pulse lasers. MLs are going to work out better for a build like this.

The thing that concerns me is the speed. 64KPH is a low speed for a close range hunchback. What hunchback variant are you working with?

#5 Alkem258

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:43 PM

This is the "G' Varient...

I've found heat generation to not be an issue with this build- cycle times allow for a fairly high ROF, especially as I don't alpha alll the time (I'm in Australia - the inherint lag therefore makes the AC a VERY close-ranged weapon). This is also the reason behind choosing this rather than a longer ranged AC - I can hit close up, but at longer ranges the projectile delay kills me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users