How many worlds are enough? (and which ones do you want to see)

21 replies to this topic

#1 ELMS

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 04:10 AM

One of the greatest things (for me) about the universe is the interstellar travel and the planets and moons of the Inner sphere. In order to portray the game as accurately as possible given the fiction out there at the moment, the major worlds,would probably not be that extensive (probably only PVE riot control, etc), however, conflict zones along the marches would have a greater fictional reliability, especially for PVP.

As above, how many worlds are enough, and which ones do you want to see in the game.

Also, (pirating my own topic) do you want to see a full range of vehicles INCLUDING jump-ships and drop-ships?

#2 Sporkosophy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 05 November 2011 - 04:44 AM

I'd like to take my Banshee for a nice evening stroll through a burning Luthien.

#3 PerryRaptor

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 05 November 2011 - 05:12 AM

I will need a big universe...my Lyran Brothers and Sisters like to do our free Christmas Shopping at gun point.

#4 metro

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,491 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSians Celestial City- http://capellanconfederation.com/

Posted 05 November 2011 - 05:32 AM

The innersphere solar system is massive. We want it all.

Jumpships and Dropships?? well of course this game would not be right without them.

and we especially want the battlefied side whiskey and cigar cart! :)

#5 Stormwolf

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,951 posts
  • LocationCW Dire Wolf

Posted 05 November 2011 - 06:16 AM

View Postsporkosophy, on 05 November 2011 - 04:44 AM, said:

I'd like to take my Banshee for a nice evening stroll through a burning Luthien.

Rofl :)

#6 Pointman1

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 25 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationLondon

Posted 05 November 2011 - 07:11 AM

As many world as the developers can realistically can do! :) .
I guess more worlds will be added as the game progresses anyway.

#7 Colddawg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 317 posts
  • LocationYork, Pennsylvania

Posted 05 November 2011 - 07:14 AM

as long as it has Skippy's Fern Bar I will be satisfied.

And that I can make my last stand on Strana Mechty and the Pentagon Worlds.

#8 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 05 November 2011 - 07:44 AM

View Postmetro, on 05 November 2011 - 05:32 AM, said:

The innersphere solar system is massive. We want it all.

Jumpships and Dropships?? well of course this game would not be right without them.

and we especially want the battlefied side whiskey and cigar cart! :)

Ditto.

#9 Jeremiah Rose2

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 01:24 PM

I would say it should be like in the most novel maps ca 100-150 Worlds are enougt and i want see them all.

And im praying for all the range of units Jump/ Drop/ and Warships piratepoints and all the other stuff tanks, Air-Spacefighter, vstol all i love that and dont forget the elementals!

#10 Helmer

• Stone Cold
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ga

Posted 05 November 2011 - 01:26 PM

Valhalla club here I come

#11 Jeremiah Rose2

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 01:27 PM

I hope Solaris gets impressiv like it should be!

#12 Blight

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 01:56 PM

I know the clans aren't going to be in here but I personally would like to run my Jagermech over Tukayyid and see the final resting place of Aidan pryde

#13 Captain Nice HD

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationTaurian Concordat

Posted 05 November 2011 - 02:13 PM

For those curious, the maps provided by the Inner Sphere Cartography Society give an excellent sense of scale for just how huge the Inner Sphere is.

#14 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 05 November 2011 - 03:25 PM

View PostELMS, on 05 November 2011 - 04:10 AM, said:

As above, how many worlds are enough, and which ones do you want to see in the game.
Honestly, I would love to see every last piece of data, beginning from the 1984 BattleTech Box-Set and ending with the most current book available, propagated into the game. Every vehicle, every 'Mech, every personage, every novel and all of the quirks and places within them, put into a game. Ideally, I want to begin playing on the day Wolf's Dragoons dropped onto Delos VI, at the New Delos spaceport, and joined the 3rd Succession War, until December 7, 3068 when the stupid-*** Jihad begins... at that point, skip the Jihad -that was a really bad design decision BattleTech Summit-ers, and the vast majority of your fans have become detractors on that point-. I want to have the MechCommander software come out just before the Smoke Jaguar Trial of Annihilation commences, and proliferate into Operation: Bulldog and separately into the Inner Sphere while they're gone. I want every single mission from every single MechWarrior, MechCommander, and MechAssault game, plus the maps and missions put in by every lone wolf or collective game league/developer gratis, especially all the maps -updated for this game, of course- that were produced for MechWarrior II: Mercenaries (I still have them, I believe), to be put into this game. Every JumpShip, DropShip, WarShip, surface ship, submarine, armor, battle armor, by name and the many others that have not been named, yet. I want to hear the news that Melissa Arthur Steiner-Davion's JumpShip was blown to pieces; Mike Stackpole, I believe it was, made me love her as if she were a real character, and I cried for her just like I did for Ronald Reagan's passing. **** you, Stackpole!!! hehe, just kidding, you're my favorite author of all time, Mr. White Buffalo.

That's what I want. I want anything that needs to be drawn, built, animated, and macro'd put into the game, and I want it all available for experience sake.

Now, realistically... I think about 50 - 75 maps, representing all manner of environments, from the airless lowest gravity moon to over-inhabited and thriving cities should be put into the game. If several, or all, of the planets are going to be represented, my course would be to fill out specific terrain and structure features for each world, and then assign each separated portion of the planet into map types, each adjacent space to the one a unit is in filling out automatically, and further adjacent spaces being filled out as a unit moves within it. That way, instead of populating worlds with endless numbers of maps assigned to them uniquely and individually, people will fight on the same maps, just arranged and/or sided differently than what has been encountered on other worlds. How about putting in all of the maps from the map packs produced for the board game since '85?

Also realistically, I would like DropShips to be real, but they don't have to fly when taking off from a planet, just if a jump needs to happen within the atmosphere, to a new LZ; but, no to JumpShips and WarShips, at least until the tech and desire from the community is available. Simply play excellent cinematics for leaving a planet's surface, based perhaps on in-game camera work, and for getting to and docking with a JumpShip, and then maybe something for transit times, but that's it. I still want the realistic travel times to happen, but I want for players to be able to enter a Ghost interface and play in simulations within the game, or as pick-up pilots (PUP, hehe) for other units in battle that have AI-driven 'Mechs available to be taken over by a real pilot, so the battle can continue and the player can play. I outlined all of my pro's and con's for this, but was poo-poo'd by close-minded twitchers who only want to destroy things and couldn't care less about the BattleTech universe itself. I'm glad I have some kindred spirits in this topic, at least.

#15 Razor Kotovsky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 754 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationRussian Death Legion, Golden Lion lance lieutenant

Posted 05 November 2011 - 09:34 PM

This is heavily dependable on map quantity and so was partially discussed in map generation thread.

Galaxy has alot of of already characterised planets and planetoids and fighting on more than tenth of them would mean seeing the same maps again and again.
Map generation relying on various parameters like planet type, drop zone terrain type, time of day and weather would solve this or provide for easier expansion in the future if we are to start with just a handful of accessible planets.
Alof of people, however, think that somehow they will lose their tactical perception (memorized flowchart) of the fight as if all the hills and lakes would magically vanish by being a different place.

#16 Rendall

• PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationCali

Posted 08 November 2011 - 08:41 PM

All of it. The entire universe. as much as possible. everything. sure, make some planets more important strategically than others. thats fine. I would LOVE to see the entire space map available like it was in the original 1989 game.

#17 Kell Aset

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 09 November 2011 - 09:16 AM

Probably everyone will want to see entire Inner Sphere at some point because it would be just so so wrong to not put it in game, all of it. At first I would expect tho to make only worlds in the center of IS accessible, number of players may have some influence on that.

Vehicles, well dont know really if they should make them playable since how many ppl really will play with those instead of mechs seriously? not many I guess but some ground, air, water vehicles should apear in game as npc's(for example as some defenders players can hire for planets they control)

About space, well no idea, space would be in a way a separate game I think, kinda shame to just leave it out but ...
Can't say much about time of travel, for sure I don't want to see players spawning suddenly few worlds away in matter of seconds just like that whenever they like.
If some faction prepares invasion it should take some time to gather players, then for dropships to arrive and land with invasion forces.

Edited by Kell Aset, 09 November 2011 - 09:23 AM.

#18 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 09 November 2011 - 11:22 AM

Just make certain you don't forget to put in Anywhere, from MechWarrior I. Cheap 'Mechs beyond the Periphery.

#19 itchies

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 70 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 09 November 2011 - 04:16 PM

I suppose having ALL of them available would be a bit much. :)

#20 Semyon Drakon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 260 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted 09 November 2011 - 07:28 PM

I'd think that starting with the march worlds and border planets then expanding to include the spinward periphery that the Clans invade from. As the timeline advances deisgn and open new worlds.

Specific named worlds Luthien, Tharkad, New Avalon, Marik, Liao, Tukkayidd, Outreach, Solaris, Pesht, Twycross, Skye, Hesperus, Coventry, Wolcott, Gunzburg, Capella, Terra. Just to name a few (these are from memory, I need to drag out my maps of the Inner Sphere.) You also need Strana Mechty, Ironhold, Huntress, Bjarad and a few other Clan worlds, though to be honest if you are just fighting trials to get deployed into the invasion then 3 or 4 worlds are enough.

Oh yes, most of the Chaos March, Lyons Thumb and Sarna worlds should be mapped because I am thinking that's where a lot of the shooty shooty will be.

On another note, why not allow players to design and map worlds/battlefields and submit them for inclusion in the game? Make sure there are strict rules as to what you can include (this isn't 40k so no Hive Worlds) but it would tap a vast resource of BT experience and give the fanboys like me something to do.

Oh and to the chap that wanted to walk through a burning Luthien? Mind if I join you?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users