Advice On A Medium Mech

19 replies to this topic

#1 Crawford

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:54 PM

Hi guys, so I'm fairly new and atm I have a Cat-K2 with 2x gauss rifles and a Commando with streaks and Tag.

I would like to try something between those two for my next mech, i.e. a med. Would like to go with an energy weapon heavy build for a change, something with speed that isn't instantly wrecked for standing still. Was thinking a Cicada, but I also notice the hunchback-4H has 5 energy slots. Suggestions for builds would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

#2 Kserin

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:00 PM

Hunchback 4SP or 4P definitely then. You will find them both capable of versatile energy-based loadouts (4SP being the crowd fav because of the SRM 6's and no hunch). I have a 2 Gauss Catapult and find it challenging at times to apply all my damage because I don't have enough speed to exit a brawl once it starts. The hunchback does not have this problem and can pop in and out of a fight at will.

Cookie Cutter 4SP: 4 MLAS, 2 SRM6
My 4P: 2 LLAS, 7 SMLAS
Cookie Cutter 4P: 7-9 MLAS

#3 impaledface

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 50 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:12 PM

Kserin has got some solid advice right there, I run my 4sp with 5 MLAS, 2 Srm6 because I watch my heat and cause of the alpha, but I run the 4p with 2 PPCS and 2 MLAS because I hate lasers in the torso most of the time. I would choose the 4sp because the lasers in the arms are awesome, and its great for a newish medium pilot because the no-hunch means you can still have half your firepower if you lose that right torso. The 4H doesn't seem to have the 2 lasers in each arm so I would say 4sp trumps the 4H if you are looking for moar pewpew, The 4P can pack the most, but it is still all in one hunch so you have to watch out for that.

#4 orion0117

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 126 posts
  • LocationAbyssal Netz

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:15 PM

I have a HBK-4SP and Cent-9AL and Cent9-A. The hunchback is a very good mech, I run it in cookie cutter like above. It's very fast with a 245 std engine. The centurion in my experience can take a bit more damage all around before it can't fight back. I really like the AL cent with 2 large lasers, 2 med lasers, 2 SRM6. In the end, it's your c-bills, and research on the boards pays off in picking out exactly what you want to spend them on. Good hunting!

#5 nostra

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:57 PM

Centurion, it's an exceptionally balanced design with missile, energy, and ballistic slots, and can pack a real punch if loaded up right.

#6 Halan HR

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:18 PM

HBK-4SP
Probably my favorite mech to pilot, only other mech I fear is a SRM Cat. Great speed, especially with speed tweak, good punch up close with the missles and lasers.

#7 Stingz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • Location*SIGNAL LOST*

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:58 PM

View Postorion0117, on 24 January 2013 - 05:15 PM, said:

The hunchback is a very good mech, I run it in cookie cutter like above. It's very fast with a 245 std engine.

The HBK-SP is just about always stock, just with small changes for each player.

#8 Budor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:15 PM

4SP is the best medium.

#9 Reacher78

• PipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 23 posts
  • LocationNorthwind

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:29 PM

4SP definitely. I alternate between the 4SP and 4J (both are fairly similar except the 4J has a hump).

If you want a survivor got for the Centurion CN9-A. You can pretty much blow off both its arms (good shields) and it'll still have most of its weapons. I load it with 2 med lasers and 3 SRM6s. It can dish out a lot of damage and take a beating too.

#10 Crawford

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:44 AM

Thanks guys, very helpful. No love for the Cicada then?

Would also note the hunchback 4SP at stock only does 65kph (my cat-k2 does 66kph) and I don't have the cbills for a bigger engine. While the cicada 2B has 5 energy slots and a nice 320 engine already. Is the 2B rubbish?

Edited by Crawford, 25 January 2013 - 02:51 AM.

#11 Budor

• 2,565 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:22 AM

The 2B is pretty good, Cicadas are the fastest mediums in the end. 3M is the same with less weapons but ECM but since you already have a COM-2D why a "light thats classified as a medium"?

Consider that you'll probably want upgrades for any mechs you purchase to really make them shine, dont let that alter your decision. (If you would know exactly which variants you want to purchase in the future you could make decisions upon their standard loadout = which parts can i reuse in another variant on its "final" config")

Get the 4SP, get DHS, get Endo and use the standard 260 engine you got with the K2 for a start.

Edited by Budor, 25 January 2013 - 03:29 AM.

#12 Crawford

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:57 AM

Yeah good point, I'll pick up the 4SP then :D

#13 Ragor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:07 AM

@all 4SP lovers:
Not trolling, just wondering:
When the Hunchie 4SP is the ultmate medium many claim here, why does it constantly loose in 1 on 1 situation vs a Cent A?

IMO there is no ultimate mech. It all depends on the situation, loadout and pilot. And luck to some degree.
And every mech got it's counter loadout.

Every.

Yes, I know, your 4SP will always shread any Centurion since they are so easy prey for your 1337 skillz. :D

#14 Stingz

• 1,159 posts
  • Location*SIGNAL LOST*

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:18 AM

View PostRagor, on 25 January 2013 - 04:07 AM, said:

@all 4SP lovers:
Not trolling, just wondering:
When the Hunchie 4SP is the ultmate medium many claim here, why does it constantly loose in 1 on 1 situation vs a Cent A?

Pilot skill, and lots of stock SP pilots this week. Endo-Steel, DHS, and a bigger engine make a huge difference.

Centurion-A is usually x3 SRM-6, "walking shotgun" builds that are 1/2 an SRM-Cat.

#15 Ragor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:22 AM

View PostStingz, on 25 January 2013 - 05:18 AM, said:

(...)
Centurion-A is usually x3 SRM-6, "walking shotgun" builds that are 1/2 an SRM-Cat.

Doesn't change the fact that it is able to outperform a 4SP in a brawl.

And trail 4SP I don't take into consideration at all. It is about the customized ones.
So far the hardest to kill 4SP for me is the 4xMPL+2xSRM4 loadout with a standard engine.
The XL variants die after the 2nd salvo anyway...

And 'yes', me is running an A with the classic 3xSRM6, 2xMPL + standard 225 engine setup. And one MG. To annoy and troll and to mark me as an easy prey. :D

Edit #1:
The Centurion simply shines due to its 'Zombie' abiltity with still 2xMPL left.

Edit #2:
Fielding a machinegun is nice.
People tend to follow you into that dark cave to get an easy kill when you run away on first sight. After firing a salvo... Welcome in my cave, we are alone now and I got a bigger club than you do. :D

Edited by Ragor, 25 January 2013 - 05:30 AM.

#16 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:28 AM

the cent is def. not better than the 4SP, you might be able to beat one in a one on one but that doesnt mean it's overall more useful.

Edited by Flapdrol, 25 January 2013 - 05:30 AM.

#17 Stingz

• 1,159 posts
  • Location*SIGNAL LOST*

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:35 AM

View PostFlapdrol, on 25 January 2013 - 05:28 AM, said:

the cent is def. not better than the 4SP, you might be able to beat one in a one on one but that doesnt mean it's overall more useful.

Yeeup, Centurion has the Issue of a hitbox made for a heavy mech.

#18 Ragor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:40 AM

View PostRagor, on 25 January 2013 - 04:07 AM, said:

(...)
IMO there is no ultimate mech. It all depends on the situation, loadout and pilot. And luck to some degree.
And every mech got it's counter loadout.
(...)

View PostFlapdrol, on 25 January 2013 - 05:28 AM, said:

See the difference between you and me?
I talk about MY opinion and experience but leave it open int he end. Everything got it pros and cons..
I focussed on ONE situtation in my example.

YOU sell your opinion as the ultimate stone of wisdom, claim to have the final answer.
But sorry, others people opinion may differ. And thats fine. There is nothing you can do about it.

For the records:
Yes, the 4SP is definately the superior mech. Only a really unexperienced fool can have any doubts.
I obey.

/Ragor, signing out.

#19 Budor

• 2,565 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:04 AM

CN9-A is the 2nd best medium imo.

4SP has much better torso twist + arm movement and 4x arm mounted lasers for pinpoint accuracy > CN9-A 2 CT mounted lasers, those are good to zombie but thats it.

4SP has 2 SRM racks that do not suffer from weapon door delay (or 10% increased dmg), 12 tubes = instant dmg in a brawl and thats what you want for a punch.

I really love the A (and YLW) but theres no situation other than the rare "zombie to win!" where it would outperform the 4SP. This may change once they buff MGs :D

#20 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:08 AM

View PostRagor, on 25 January 2013 - 05:40 AM, said:

See the difference between you and me?
I talk about MY opinion and experience but leave it open int he end. Everything got it pros and cons..
I focussed on ONE situtation in my example.

YOU sell your opinion as the ultimate stone of wisdom, claim to have the final answer.
But sorry, others people opinion may differ. And thats fine. There is nothing you can do about it.

For the records:
Yes, the 4SP is definately the superior mech. Only a really unexperienced fool can have any doubts.
I obey.

/Ragor, signing out.

take it easy man, you're on the internet.

anyway, the 4SP is good in nearly every role, the cent has one extra missile hardpoint, but no arm lasers, so ít's only better in lrm boating and hit n run / pointblank fights.

the best thing about the 4SP is you can pretty much shoot behind you, so shoot while running away.

anyway, I run the cicada 3M more often, even though it's basically a light. 3 medium pulses is enough to do damage over time and you can easily stay out of srm effective range. A 4SP can counter it with accurate laser fire, a cent A cant.

Edited by Flapdrol, 25 January 2013 - 06:20 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users