Comprehensive Guide To The Cicada

91 replies to this topic

#61 BoPop

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 543 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:36 PM

@ knnniggett: i don't think the OP minds us posting cicada builds on this thread. it's properly titled for that and is a fun read anyways. we don't distract from his OP by posting builds here, quiet the opposite, we make sure it doesn't get buried. :)

i'm bumping it by unveiling:

~the sexy lil 2b~ *pulls sheet off*
Spoiler

this here build got me through my basics QUICK and elite was like slam bam thank ya mam. and i threw it together as a laugh. of course it took some evolving 'cuz even though the ferrous is only 200k cbills i kept feeling like i'd slip back into medium laser land and want that 200k back hehe but for all i know i can still do 5ML, dunno, haven't tried cuz i'm lovin it.

but it really started feeling good after speed tweak and pinpoint (but don't all mechs) so i went with the ferrous dump and pumped it's armor back up, which felt really good. especially because i began to stretch out my range to 400meters (remember i was coming off a 4MPL/1MG-3M high)

next thing you know i'm either: dying immediately(cuz it happens), or having a nice 6-700 dmg, 2/3 kills kinda matches in it. hit 900 and change once, think i dropped some jaws that round ;) but i'm sure i had an awesome team. still, my damage was highest naa na na na naaaaaaa.

pretty straight forward, i figured since i'd mastered the 3M with 4MPL and a machine gun, i'd try a different colored lazor. seriously, i just wanted a different colored laser. but those 3 large lasers are tightly packed, very nice and you can move two of them up and down, very handy.

play it kind of sniper but you are still tough enough to dash through the middle of fight, zero'd in on someone's damaged component. pretty nasty, surprisingly nasty. but maybe i just have low expectations in general. give it a go and tell me if ya don't groove to it's simplicity.

Edited by BoPop, 18 May 2013 - 10:51 PM.

#62 knight-of-ni

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,627 posts
  • Location/dev/null

Posted 19 May 2013 - 04:47 AM

View PostBoPop, on 18 May 2013 - 10:36 PM, said:

@ knnniggett: i don't think the OP minds us posting cicada builds on this thread. it's properly titled for that and is a fun read anyways. we don't distract from his OP by posting builds here, quiet the opposite, we make sure it doesn't get buried. :)

We had gotten a bit off topic with a discussion about SSRM's and Artemis. I knew my next reply was going to be a long one, and it wasn't going to be directly about the Cicada, so I created a new thread.

If I'm not running dual PPC's, I've found builds centered around the Large Laser to work really well with the Cicada. The longer range helps reinforce the idea of staying on the outskirts of the main battle. It helps my survivability quite a bit.

#63 Darwins Dog

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 06:49 AM

View PostBoPop, on 18 May 2013 - 10:36 PM, said:

this here build got me through my basics QUICK and elite was like slam bam thank ya mam. and i threw it together as a laugh. of course it took some evolving 'cuz even though the ferrous is only 200k cbills i kept feeling like i'd slip back into medium laser land and want that 200k back hehe but for all i know i can still do 5ML, dunno, haven't tried cuz i'm lovin it.

Thanks for contributing. I've added this one and your 3M build. I changed the 3M slightly by removing armor from the arms to add another heatsink and bump the engine to a 300XL. Both look pretty good.

#64 BoPop

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 543 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:11 AM

View PostDarwins Dog, on 19 May 2013 - 06:49 AM, said:

I changed the 3M slightly by removing armor from the arms to add another heatsink and bump the engine to a 300XL.

sweetness. yea i'm in fact running w/the 300xl now on the 3M too and armor is 268 w/top speed 133 and change. can be a nasty little booger especially with a good team!

#65 1453 R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:07 PM

An X-5 I've been working with recently. Since we don't really have many of those yet.

Designed to try and combine the positive aspects of the Hunter-Killer CDA-3M with the X-5's advantageous Streak hardpoints, I've been finding that this X-5 does some interesting things. The paired large lasers in the arms gives the 'Mech excellent vertical play on maps like Alpine or Tourmaline as well as giving me significant ranged punch, while the small lasers and Streak SRMs allow the machine to layer on additional damage in close quarters as heat permits. Heat is a definite issue, but one must pay somewhere for this level of armament on a Cicada, and I chose to do it in heat efficiency - a problem I'm used to working around - rather than armor.

Less of an issue than one might think is the lack of Beagle Active Probe to provide ECM penetration for the Streaks. I've found in games with my X-5 here that most of the time, either the enemy doesn't have ECM or someone on my team is already applying their small-breed hound to the issue. It's almost startling how often I don't have ECM problems blocking my Streak missiles, and when I do I often still have the edge in firepower over the ECM 'Mech I happen to be fighting. It doesn't take much more than one or two solid hits from large lasers to convince most small ECM platforms to find someone else to chew on. There will be the occasional game where your missiles are blocked out, but it hasn't come up for me often enough that I feel it's a serious issue. May just be me though, who knows.

It's not for everyone - the heat efficiency is lower than I'd like and I tend to go for hotter 'Mechs than most folks already - but it's also surprisingly well armed for a 'Mech of its size and can do some real damage in the hands of a canny pilot willing to wait for the right chance.

#66 Sable Dove

• Knight Errant
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 10:06 AM

Here's a silly 3C build; I'll let you decide whether it belongs as a "for the lulz" or as a serious build, because in the right hands, it is surprisingly effective as long as you stick with a heavy/assault and support them, rather than running off on your own. My personal version has an XL200 and less armour, but is functionally the same; I'm just more reliant on my meatshields.
CDA-3C Jager Lite

#67 Darwins Dog

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 08:16 AM

Just went through and rechecked all the links. Some were simply just not working, and a few needed updating (particularly with the ECM hardpoint), and one build simply doesn't work anymore (ECM, XL, and Gauss on a CDA-3M ;)). All should be working fine now. I will be making some more changes shortly.

Edited by Darwins Dog, 20 July 2013 - 08:17 AM.

#68 Shadey99

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 01:47 PM

I've been playing with some more Cicada builds and I'll add them here...

X-5:
Mini-Archer
* 2xLRM15s
* 4 Small Lasers
* ~90 kph (so the speed drops to around that of most other mediums)
This is purely a fire support build, but one that can run just behind the lights in a conquest or assault map and perform flanking. The 2x2 missile ports makes the missile spread home in on the CT of the enemy mech better than Artemis and if one of your light buddies runs a Tag it will cut through ECM. Or if you want your own Tag: Mini-Archer alt.

3M:
Rapid Sniper
* AC2 (with 225 rounds)
* 4 Medium Lasers
* 133 kph (with speed tweak)
I'm not a huge Ballistics fan, but after mastering highlanders for my Heavy Metal I decided to give them another shot in my 3M. I first tried a UAC5 build, but I didn't find it any better than it was originally. So I tossed in an AC2. The range of the AC2 fares pretty well against the PPC or ER LL with very fast firing (sub .5 seconds since I have the 3M mastered). It's crazy to dash in from over 900m away firing the AC2 into someones cockpit so it's harder for them to aim and deliver 2 barrages of Medium lasers, then dashing back out again still plinking away at them. I've successfully dashed in and out of Terra Therma while held by enemy forces and made it out again. However the low torso placement of the AC2 (or UAC5) means it's worthless under about 60m, shots will not hit near the crosshairs.

#69 Shifty Eyes

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 120 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:41 AM

I've been tearing it up with my once-was-a-lolz-build 3C with 4x MG's and 1x ERPPC. Since the last patch, I've been regularly coming out of battle with 500+ damage and multiple kills. Although, my elo is probably so low that I'm playing with 7 year olds.

The build leaves a ridiculous amount of tonnage wiggle room, probably to a fault.

#70 Training Instructor

• 1,218 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:47 PM

I've mastered the other four. Trying to find a way to enjoy the 3C, but it just doesn't seem possible.

#71 Shadey99

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 03:18 AM

View PostTraining Instructor, on 12 August 2013 - 11:47 PM, said:

I've mastered the other four. Trying to find a way to enjoy the 3C, but it just doesn't seem possible.

Maybe give this Double Sniper CDA-3C a try? Though it's guaranteed to run hot...

#72 bantapoo

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 98 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:59 AM

CDA 3C - "Legger"

Based on the CDA 3C variant, this cicada fills the role of a fast scout capable of supporting mechs in the frontline.
Terror of the battlefield, this little hungry monster is built for a single purpose: rip apart enemy's legs.
the "Legger" hit and run tactics are often annouced by the recognizable Large Pulse Laser noise, immediately followed by a hailstorm of machine guns bullets, ripping apart enemy legs brutally.
The "Legger" sometimes employ terrorizing tactics by only destroying one leg of their prey. The victim is left limping desperately on the field, waiting for a sure death. These actings have been vehemently denounced by the Inner Sphere authorities, treating the pilot as a pirate, with an interstellar bounty put on his head.

Technical Specs

In order to lower the tonnage, Endo steel and Ferro Fibrous armor have been equipped on this mech.
This allowed the mounting of an XL engine 300, for a respectable 133.7 kph maximum speed.
A large Pulse Laser, capable of softening armor and destroying components of any mech, has been mounted on the right torso, and efficiently cooled by enabling Double Heatsinks system on the mech.
Both torsos sport 2 machine guns, for a total of 4 machine guns grouped together to maximize the damage on internal components. 3 tons of ammo have been added to ensure for long engagements.
Finally, an AMS system fed by 1 ton of ammo has been fitted on the right torso in order to provide anti-missile protection.

CDA 3C "Legger" variant summary:
XL 300, 10 DHS
ENDO, FF, max armor
LPL , 4xMG+3t ammo
AMS + 1t ammo

Edited by bantapoo, 14 August 2013 - 02:14 AM.

#73 Shadey99

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:34 AM

View Postbantapoo, on 14 August 2013 - 12:59 AM, said:

XL 300, 10 DHS
ENDO, FF, max armor
LPL , 4xMG+3t ammo
AMS + 1t ammo

My problem with this is I run a Spider with the same setup (with the exception of less MG ammo) and a couple more tons of MG ammo in a bigger, slower, and slightly more armored form just doesn't seem compelling.

#74 bantapoo

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 98 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:45 AM

Thanks for you feedback, I like the cicada better, as it is more durable. The Spider 5K is decent and can fit the same weaponry, the speed is slighly better, but if you want jumpjets you have to reduce the engine rating.
Also, once the hit registration is fixed, the spider will have a lot harder time.

#75 Darwins Dog

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:39 AM

View PostShadey99, on 14 August 2013 - 02:34 AM, said:

My problem with this is I run a Spider with the same setup (with the exception of less MG ammo) and a couple more tons of MG ammo in a bigger, slower, and slightly more armored form just doesn't seem compelling.

The spider has a lot of trouble supporting anything larger than a LL or ERLL, and doesn't have the option for a PPC.

My Cicada 3C is similar, but I skipped the AMS, shaved some armor off and I run a 330XL. The extra speed makes it easier to get away from LRMs in many cases, although you lose the SSRM protection and the ability to cover your buddies. I've also found it harder to be sneaky since a flight of missiles going over your head triggers your AMS and gives away your position.

I'll update the guide with these new builds as soon as I have more than a few minutes.

#76 Shadey99

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:41 AM

View Postbantapoo, on 14 August 2013 - 02:45 AM, said:

Thanks for you feedback, I like the cicada better, as it is more durable. The Spider 5K is decent and can fit the same weaponry, the speed is slighly better, but if you want jumpjets you have to reduce the engine rating.
Also, once the hit registration is fixed, the spider will have a lot harder time.

My SDR-5K has JJs and speed, though it does have reduced arm armor. Even so the Cicada barely has more armor than the Spider and it's MGs are torso mounted as opposed to arm mounted (So no shooting without turning completely toward the target). Also the Spider is just plain smaller, which is half the reason they are so hard to hit now...

View PostDarwins Dog, on 14 August 2013 - 04:39 AM, said:

The spider has a lot of trouble supporting anything larger than a LL or ERLL, and doesn't have the option for a PPC.

That build doesn't run one either and as you can see above looks amazingly like a slower no-JJ Spider 5K... xD

Edited by Shadey99, 14 August 2013 - 04:43 AM.

#77 Darwins Dog

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:37 AM

View PostShadey99, on 14 August 2013 - 04:41 AM, said:

That build doesn't run one either and as you can see above looks amazingly like a slower no-JJ Spider 5K... xD

My point was that the right torso energy hardpoint allows you to swap a PPC or ERPPC for a LPL. One point in favor of the Cicada, but you're right about the rest.

View Postbantapoo, on 14 August 2013 - 12:59 AM, said:

XL 300, 10 DHS
ENDO, FF, max armor
LPL , 4xMG+3t ammo
AMS + 1t ammo

bantapoo I've tried to recreate your build, but I come up short (1.35 tons to be exact). It seems like you could shave a bit of armor and get a bigger engine in there.

Edited by Darwins Dog, 24 August 2013 - 08:38 AM.

#78 Darwins Dog

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:42 AM

I've gone ahead and added the latest round of builds, as well as a section about how to distribute armor.

I'd love to hear your thoughts about how to armor your Cicadas.

Armor:For most of my mechs I use as close to full armor as I can get. On the 2A, 3C, and 3M you can free up a full ton (or more) by removing armor from the arms. I usually take off half a ton so they don't get blown off too easily, but that's up to you. I also move most of the torso armor to the front (usually keeping 10/12/10 in back) as I find it pretty easy to keep my front and side pointed at the enemy. Finally, keep your legs well protected. I usually don't get legged, but it happens often enough that I never have less than 36 armor on my legs.

Edited by Darwins Dog, 24 August 2013 - 08:42 AM.

#79 mack sabbath

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,073 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:39 AM

Thought I'd mention, Sarah's Jenner also has your 300XL motor. Nice work! :P

#80 mack sabbath

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,073 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 August 2013 - 11:23 AM

View Post1453 R, on 10 February 2013 - 08:29 AM, said:

3M Starter

The design I've been planning on for when I finally work up the big ol' pile of C I need for my 3M. As I will then have a 3M, no money, and no engines for it but a standard 300 (bleh) and its default 320XL, I was forced to come up with a build that would work for me and let me get used to the machine whilst working up the five million C I'd need without changing the engine out or going insane on the mod money. This is the result.

For the same eight tons and 24 points of alpha damage as the more typical 4x medium pulse laser models, I get much better ranged abilities. A single large laser isn't exactly a force to be reckoned with, but it is enough to let me take potshots from outside ECM's detection range as the more expensive hunter-killers do. Poke and move lets me get enemy teams all worked up, and the ECM stops them from finding me and converging. With the 130 kph stock speed, this thing should be able fade away into the scenery so easily it's unreal. When I need to make more of an impact or when I get caught by someone who has a dispute they wish to resolve with me, I've got the three extra medium lasers to add extra emphasis to my counter-arguments.

...also doesn't hurt that I have all the spare large and straight medium lasers I need for that configuration, but all of zero medium pulse lasers. Blrrgh.

Anyways. It's a stopgap on my way to the 2L/2M laser array on a mastered 3M, but it's a relatively inexpensive stopgap and may be at least somewhat useful for other folks in my position. After all, not everyone's going to have multiple redundant XL engines lying around and Speed Tweak available to all of their machines.

I like it...but going to a 300xl gave me all the bells & whistles to boot....lookee! :P

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4b84da58d61bb3b

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users