First Heavy Mech

34 replies to this topic

Poll: Poll! What should be my first Heavy Mech (190 member(s) have cast votes)

I've decided to have one of every class of mech. I have my light and medum a Spider and a Centurion what should my Heavy be?

1. Cataphract (96 votes [46.60%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 46.60%

2. Dragon (27 votes [13.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.11%

3. Catapult (83 votes [40.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 40.29%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 khorazy

• PipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 41 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:11 AM

Anyone can sit there and say dragons suck but truth is they just probably didnt have the stones to work it to there advantage but yes the ctf and cplt are.way more forgiving to a new pilot its true my first mech was a k2 still run it mastered good platform and yes the 4x is slow as hell but i run on with 2x uac5s 2x ac5s and i simply dont have to rum from atlases lol when i unload they get so much screen shake they usually change there mimd and back off.

#22 Riktor Voshek

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:22 AM

I'm a big fan of the K2, and no, I haven't run dual gauss or dual AC20 on it :angry: I'm currently loving 2xPPC, 2xAC5, all mounted in the torso. 2xUAC5, 4xMed Laser was also really fun, and I believe it's also a good platform for 4xLL or 4xPPC. Basically I find it an extremely versatile testbed for almost any setup of energy and ballistic weapons.

#23 khorazy

• PipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 41 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:28 AM

How do u like the ac5 ppc setup? Might try it i run 2x uac5s and 2x LLs on mine and i love it and ehy dont you put the ppcs on the arms? Gives a huge advantage on hills especially sniping with saaay ppcs

#24 Gigastrike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 704 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:13 AM

I voted for both the Dragon and the Catapult, since they both seem to be easier to switch to after playing Spiders and Centurions. The Catapult can essentially take your exact Centurion build, and if you're already used to such fast mechs, the Dragon shouldn't be hard to learn.

#25 Butane9000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,788 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:28 AM

You could wait next month and get the Jagermech?

#26 Riktor Voshek

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:14 AM

View Postkhorazy, on 21 February 2013 - 06:28 AM, said:

How do u like the ac5 ppc setup? Might try it i run 2x uac5s and 2x LLs on mine and i love it and ehy dont you put the ppcs on the arms? Gives a huge advantage on hills especially sniping with saaay ppcs

I'm really liking AC5 PPC at the moment, feels less of a one trick pony than the 2xUAC5 4xMLAS that I was using before. As for PPC's in the torso, I just find them easier to manage that way. Means you can fire the PPC's and the AC's from the same targetting reticule with the same convergence, plus the arms are completely disposable that way :lol: Totally see the advantages of using the arms for sniping over hills as well, though, might give it another try some time.

#27 Wolftrot

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:19 PM

I know this is digging in the grave however I would also like to shed some light on this topic for those of you who searched for the best Heavy mech.

I picked Cataphract for these reasons
  • hardpoints
  • customizations
  • tonnage
  • build (will elaborate)
Now I've seen many people on here poo poo at putting an XL in a Cataphract. I whole-heartedly disagree with that statement. I run only XLs in my phracts (own them all). As I've played in them I've notice I hardly ever get my side blown own, I rarely ever get shot in the back. I leave about as much armor on the back of my mech to negate a AC10 shot from behind, the rest is put on the front torso's and sides. I almost always get cored and this is well after my guns have been removed. The cataphract design is great because of its ability to damage mitigate. What is damage mitigation? The ability to spread out damage done across your mech. The Cataphract has long swooping arms to protect its side torsos as well as front and the back side torsos are incredibly difficult to hit while moving. Just spin and pop off rounds. This is why I choose XL's, it saves you tonnage and gives a great advantage of speed at the cost of the rare instance you will be hit in the side torso (given you've learned to mitigate the damage received properly).

Edited by Wolftrot, 23 May 2013 - 06:19 PM.

#28 Hayashi

Snowflake

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,395 posts
  • Location輝針城

Posted 25 May 2013 - 12:11 PM

Moved to Heavy forums.

#29 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:02 AM

I picked up a Cataphract 3D yesterday because I finished eliting my Hunchbacks. I've tried a few of the more popular builds: 3 PPCs, AC/20+4 MLs, 4 LLs, Gauss+2 ERPPCs, etc. So far, this thing is surprisingly underwhelming.

I'll keep fooling with it, but as of right now I think I would have to recommend either a Catapult K2 or one of the Jagers as a first Heavy. It seems easier to make effective builds on those in my experience.

Edited by NRP, 26 May 2013 - 08:15 AM.

#30 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 May 2013 - 05:03 PM

I just picked up a Muromets since I got the basics for my 3D. The Ilya is easier to use than the 3D I think, with 3 UAC/5s anyway.

#31 Lege

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 365 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 05:13 PM

Wait for the Orion, it will be the best heavy.

#32 mack sabbath

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 1,073 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 May 2013 - 05:14 PM

I bought my 1st Heavy this weekend, a Cataphract 1X and I love it. I'm running the TruePoindexter build listed below, and when I chain fire my lasers, this thing is quick and it melts faces!

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4d3d5421bb71ee8

I swapped a heat sink to get AMS and I have to watch heat more, but it sure helps against these insane LRM swarms.

Edited by Die Primate Die, 26 May 2013 - 05:15 PM.

#33 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 May 2013 - 06:34 PM

Yeah, I think the 1X will be my 3rd. I think Koreanese runs a 5 ML + AC/10 setup with a large STD engine, but I'll likely go with the AC/20 because it's badass and I can't aim like that dude can.

Edit: God I hate the 1X! As soon as I get the basics this terd is gone.

Edited by NRP, 26 May 2013 - 07:54 PM.

#34 mack sabbath

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 1,073 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationUSA

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:39 PM

View PostNRP, on 26 May 2013 - 06:34 PM, said:

Yeah, I think the 1X will be my 3rd. I think Koreanese runs a 5 ML + AC/10 setup with a large STD engine, but I'll likely go with the AC/20 because it's badass and I can't aim like that dude can.

Edit: God I hate the 1X! As soon as I get the basics this terd is gone.

I've had a short learning curve in the 1X. I found that loosely flanking the edges while the mobs tear each other apart, then weaving in and out quickly, finishing off weakened enemies, or 2-3 alpha striking that assault your team has been sparring with is fun and has more damage than I expected.

I usually wade in and help someone focus fire on their current opponent, then rinse and repeat, doubling up on them and doing sick damage chain firing the 5 mediums as I pump AC 20 into their chests, or the lights legs.

Edited by Die Primate Die, 30 May 2013 - 04:39 PM.

#35 FERAL TIGER

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 129 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:23 AM

K2 gaussapolt is a great first heavy! Cheap enough, and easy to use while learning the role of a heavy

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users