46 replies to this topic

#21 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:46 PM

More good advice.

Some things I thought of while reading this, for all the premade players out there....

Say in chat: 'We're going to X if anyone wants to come'. Most the time I bet you'll be surprised. Lots of PUG players like to stick with a team, they just may not be that social in MWO yet. I've only run into one twit and he was a premade, trying to trashtalk because he was in a premade and it was a pretty onesided stomp. I've yet to run into an obnoxious PUG though I'm sure they're out there.

Very true on the K:D ration. I pride myself far more on my assists in a match, especially if my team wins. That and damage done. Shoot for over 200, just focus on putting hurt on targets. Don't get caught up with chasing down a kill. It'll balance out and if a team-mate finishes what you started, well, you'll get far more reward for winning with 6 assists than you will for losing with 1 or 2 kills.

#22 Ilwrath

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:56 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 24 January 2013 - 09:23 PM, said:

To clarify, I'm far from a great pugger.

2: Don't boat.

Always boat. Right now I am boating lrm in a Stalker with only 2 backup med lasers and I am mostly pulling much more than my weight.

For some people boating will always be the best choice because keep it simple stupid.

#23 Revorn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron
  • 3,557 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:06 AM

And if you Boat LRM´s

-Dont forgett your TAG

-Stay around your Team, Dont hang back off to far, but stay back. 200-300 are often a good Range.

-Support your Team, by helping them to get the Amor of the enemy Mech down quickly. Means, Focus Fire.

-Learn the Map, Its essencial to know, where you have to position yourself, once your Teammates are opening Fire, you need a LOS from the second Line to give good support.

-And dont forgett to build in some MedLaser, to make some Pew,Pew, if a Ligth is comming for you.

Edited by Revorn, 25 January 2013 - 12:08 AM.

#24 Ilwrath

• 1,195 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:10 AM

View PostRevorn, on 25 January 2013 - 12:06 AM, said:

And if you Boat LRM´s

-Dont forgett your TAG

-Stay around your Team, Dont hang back off to far, but stay back. 200-300 are often a good Range.

-Support your Team, by helping them to get the Amor of the enemy Mech down quickly. Means, Focus Fire.

-Learn the Map, Its essencial to know, where you have to position yourself, once your Teammates are opening Fire, you need a LOS from the second Line to give good support.

Always on Tag is a must. You cannot rely on others. Engage at medium range and do the tag yourself.

Good points you have there.

#25 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:12 AM

What are some tricks for boating as a PUG? Do you announce it in chat? Try to get someone to spot for you? What do you do when rushed?

#26 The Cheese

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,558 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:32 AM

View PostMischiefSC, on 25 January 2013 - 12:12 AM, said:

What are some tricks for boating as a PUG? Do you announce it in chat? Try to get someone to spot for you? What do you do when rushed?

Tell people you're an LRM boat (I'm assuming that's what you mean), but don't expect it to make much difference. Always carry your own TAG, and always stay with the group. Don't ever expect anyone else to spot for you. "Never get caught alone" is especially important when you've got no close range punch. No, 3 medium lasers doesn't count for close range punch.

Don't hang back at base and lob LRMs or snipe. I see this all time, especially on River City. It takes very little to make you completely combat ineffective. If you're a long range support mech, stay within 200m of the group.

I guess the #1 rule for pugging (or team play, I guess) is NEVER GET CAUGHT ALONE!

Edited by The Cheese, 25 January 2013 - 12:34 AM.

#27 Ilwrath

• 1,195 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:39 AM

View PostThe Cheese, on 25 January 2013 - 12:32 AM, said:

Tell people you're an LRM boat (I'm assuming that's what you mean), but don't expect it to make much difference. Always carry your own TAG, and always stay with the group. Don't ever expect anyone else to spot for you. "Never get caught alone" is especially important when you've got no close range punch. No, 3 medium lasers doesn't count for close range punch.

I don't bother with telling anyone when I am boating lrm. If they don't understand that from the constant tag they will not be able to help and what help can you expect to get?

After the lag-shield fix you can actually take down lights with only a couple of med lasers. Go for the legs. The problem with that is that you are not doing your job when focused on the ankle bitter. If you see a good target for lrm while having a little pest mech on you, ignore the little vermin and do your job while tanking its rather tiny dps.

You should not be the spear head but rather hang a little back until you know where the enemy is. Sometimes you should break off from the group because lrm attacks from the flank can work so very well. You may get something moving to you but remember that they will take heavy hits all the way because of your tag. Move backwards while keeping them tagged and let the missile spam flow.

Try to kill those damn ECM mechs first.

Carry enough ammo, if you are boating you gotta be able to contribute the entire fight. I got 1.8k in my stalker.

#28 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:44 AM

Fair enough. Edited my original post. Boating works if you know what you're doing. How effective do you feel you are boating in pugs?

#29 Dragonkindred

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • 160 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:49 AM

Some nice advice here guys. The only thing I will add is, say please when you have time. It might sound stupid, but you tend to get a better reaction.

#30 Revorn

• The Patron
  • 3,557 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:50 AM

View PostMischiefSC, on 25 January 2013 - 12:12 AM, said:

All Tipps in this Topic are suposed for PUG-Gaming..

- always announce in Chat that you are a LRM Boat.

- you can Risk to ask if some is about to TAG, some ligths are specialized at this Role. But dont make yourself dependent form that. Often they have more important Things to do. So you should be able, to make you count at yourself.

- If your re being rushed, dont waste your time to defend yourself with your MEds,, only if some Enemy is about to cross your LOS to a reliable Target.. Move and Maneuver to upkeep Firesupport for your Team as long as possible.

-The friendly Hunchback in Front of you, is more Important than you, Help him to survive if you can get a Lock at his Target.

-And last but not least. Dont lose hope if you are suck in your Stalker with 4x LRM 15 and 48 km/h. Maybe u give a CN9-D an try. Only 2 x LRM 15, but 104 Km/h. I needs some Time to find Your Mech and Weapons.

#31 Ilwrath

• 1,195 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:14 AM

View PostMischiefSC, on 25 January 2013 - 12:44 AM, said:

Fair enough. Edited my original post. Boating works if you know what you're doing. How effective do you feel you are boating in pugs?

Boating lrm's? If my team don't get overrun by some badass premade I mostly get 5-600 and up to 1.2 damage with 2-4 kills and a lot of assist + victory.

If you get hit by the multiple overlapping ECM club you will do much worse but then it don't matter what your setup is. I mostly get a kill or two even then.

Boating lrm is the easiest way to pug by far. Probably somewhat op to be honest. I did take my Awesome 9m out for a spin yesterday but with the increased ping after the last patches I found it painful to play and I was soon back on the 3F.
Its sad how much better the Stalkers are compared to the Awesomes :D no matter what you want to boat.

Edit: If you are going to do the Stalker lrm boat remember to setup tag with this - http://mwomercs.com/...per-easy-to-do/

Edited by Ilwrath, 25 January 2013 - 01:23 AM.

#32 M4rtyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 691 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:16 AM

Sorry, but get the feeling the OP likes the sound of his own voice (test from his own fingers?).

There is one very simple thing that makes PUGs better.

FREAKING STAY TOGETHER!

#33 Ilwrath

• 1,195 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:38 AM

View PostM4rtyr, on 25 January 2013 - 01:16 AM, said:

Sorry, but get the feeling the OP likes the sound of his own voice (test from his own fingers?).

There is one very simple thing that makes PUGs better.

FREAKING STAY TOGETHER!

Brand new players need a good ingame tutorial. This can be done with only matching brand new players against other brand new players. So easy yet so hard it seems.

#34 Voidsinger

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationAstral Space

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:03 AM

Don't expect anything from a premade group if they are on your team. They are for themselves first and foremost. To many of them, you are expendable as bait or meatshields. They will let you die if they feel they are doing something better together.

#35 Remarius

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 820 posts
  • LocationBrighton, England

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:35 AM

View PostChowda, on 24 January 2013 - 11:02 PM, said:

Watch and learn how other people pilot in Spectate mode. Look at the mech/loadout, pilotting skill, etc. Finding a good pilot is hit or miss, but the lessons learned are worth the spectating.

Very good advice. I won't pretend I'm a good pilot but I do more than hold my own and I do spectate and watch people to learn more, plus pass on information/warnings to the surviving team (unless I died very frustratingly!). Its refreshing when people ask me about my loadout - particularly the TAG I often use as I can explain the "anti-lagshield" usage. Had a few people PM me afterwards to carry on the explanation and I've ended up pointing them to useful threads people have made on the guide part of the forums.

#36 The Cheese

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,558 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:35 AM

View PostVoidsinger, on 25 January 2013 - 03:03 AM, said:

Don't expect anything from a premade group if they are on your team. They are for themselves first and foremost. To many of them, you are expendable as bait or meatshields. They will let you die if they feel they are doing something better together.

To be fair, that's how most pugs seem to feel about each other.

#37 Voidsinger

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationAstral Space

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:39 AM

View PostThe Cheese, on 25 January 2013 - 03:35 AM, said:

To be fair, that's how most pugs seem to feel about each other.

Agreed, we admit it though.

Some people seem to think premades have some sort of mystic unifying power. Quite a few are just a bunch of thugs out for a pugstomp. There are some excellent ones who will help, but many of the best went to the 8s.

My point was expect nothing from a premade and you won't be disappointed,

#38 Croft

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:48 AM

LRM have min range of 180, at range less than that, you might as well be bouncing ping pong balls off your target, cause you would do more damage that way.

stock PPC have min range of 90.

if you are the lone ECM in the drop, you job is to provide ECM coverage for team, not to run into enemy team to get yourself killed early.

focus fire on the ECM atlas first.

if you are an assult mech moving at 50 kph on the conquest map, you job is not running around trying to cap out of the way resource points, your job is to kill.

#39 PurpleNinja

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationMIA

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:49 AM

View PostN0MAD, on 24 January 2013 - 11:14 PM, said:

Great intentions here no doubt BUT how many casual pug players do you think come to these forums?

Two, maybe three.

:D :D

#40 Remarius

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 820 posts
  • LocationBrighton, England

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:58 AM

View PostCroft, on 25 January 2013 - 03:48 AM, said:

if you are an assult mech moving at 50 kph on the conquest map, you job is not running around trying to cap out of the way resource points, your job is to kill.

I think we've all watched a DC bafflingly do that at some point... or solo their way via the ice tunnel without saying anything to anyone.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users