Code Of Conduct

9 replies to this topic

Poll: Have you read it? (9 member(s) have cast votes)

Have you read the Code of Conduct?

1. Yes, before I ever posted anything (2 votes [22.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

2. Yes, after I was told I had violated it (1 votes [11.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

3. Yes, sometime between when I first joined, and now (2 votes [22.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

4. No, I have never read it (4 votes [44.44%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 44.44%

Do you intend to?

1. Yes (4 votes [44.44%] - View)

2. Maybe (1 votes [11.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

3. No (4 votes [44.44%] - View)

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 0Life

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:31 PM

So, recently a thread of mine was closed, and I was directed to read the code of conduct, posting etiquette and the like (I had skimmed it before, but I went back and went line by line).

I am just wondering how many others have read it and try to follow it.

In regards to the closed thread, I will do my best not to discuss it or the actions taken against it. I can understand why the rule against calling out moderator actions was put in place (I asked a Mod to explain it to me) and while I may not be 100% behind it, it is better than nothing and I can get why it is there.

The post itself was about something that falls under the bit of the Code of Conduct (CoC) labeled:

EXTREME SEXUALITY / VIOLENCE

This category includes both clear and masked language and/or links to websites containing such language or images which:

Refer to extreme and/or violent sexual acts
Refer to extremely violent real life actions
If a player is found to have participated in such actions, he/she will:

Be permanently banned from the forums

There was a lot of trolling that happened in that thread, unsurprisingly, as well as many misogynistic comments made to degrade women. Now, the CoC does prevent me from directly stating what was said, either in that thread or in a match. That being said, I am sure that most of you can figure out what I am talking about. If you cannot, then feel free to send me a private message and I can explain it to you.

What it boils down to though, is this: Be respectful please. I know that as a women, I am in the minority in this game. If I ask you not to use something that I consider to be directed at my gender/me, then please, stop using it. Find another way to say what kind of leisure pursuits your team will have after they win the match (and best of luck to you, I try a lot harder when someone brings that kind of thing up, and I do not think I am the only one regardless of gender).

Now, if you want to say that a particular weapon does things to peoples' faces, go ahead. That I am okay with as it is gender neutral and not meant to be degrading by turning a person into a mere object. I have used the phrase myself, I will likely use it again.
Thank you for your time, and while I realize one thread is not going to suddenly make a huge difference, I do feel that I need to at least try to raise awareness. If you see someone saying such things, ask them nicely to not. If they continue, warn them that you will report them (and screen cap the conversation). If they continue from there, send in the screen cap. If you feel really uncomfortable with that, then send me the screen cap, and I will send it in.

No matter how hard we try, we will never wipe this out entirely, but that does not mean that we should not try anyways.

#2 swamp hag

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2017 Participant
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:55 AM

It's good to see more people trying to help change the social landscape of this community. Sexism, while not as prevalent here as in many games, is still rampant.

"Welcome to the internet" is a cop-out, and means nothing more than granting oneself a license to be a jackass.

#3 0Life

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:35 PM

View PostGlory, on 25 January 2013 - 07:55 AM, said:

It's good to see more people trying to help change the social landscape of this community. Sexism, while not as prevalent here as in many games, is still rampant.

"Welcome to the internet" is a cop-out, and means nothing more than granting oneself a license to be a jackass.

Thank you, I wish I could have this thread in the General Discussion part of the forums, as I worry that it will not get much attention here, but at the same time, the lack of trolling so far has been rather nice as well.

#4 0Life

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:21 PM

Bump to keep this near the top where people will hopefully see it and read it/vote.

#5 machine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts
  • Locationhere.

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:12 PM

View PostGlory, on 25 January 2013 - 07:55 AM, said:

you are just saying that because you dont have a wiener. if you were full of more machismo you would kill less and talk more like us with wieners

Glory +1 (innerwebs score, NOT inches, dont be dirty)

View Post0Life, on 25 January 2013 - 02:35 PM, said:

Thank you, I wish I could have this thread in the General Discussion part of the forums, as I worry that it will not get much attention here, but at the same time, the lack of trolling so far has been rather nice as well.

I lol'd

#6 swamp hag

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2017 Participant
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:52 PM

I love you, too, machine. :3

#7 machine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts
  • Locationhere.

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:29 PM

View PostGlory, on 27 January 2013 - 07:52 PM, said:

I love you, too, machine. :3

here is a less than symbol to complete your heart for me: <

#8 GaussDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:32 PM

This thread... it's like a massive bullseye.

#9 machine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts
  • Locationhere.

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:23 AM

View PostGaussDragon, on 27 January 2013 - 08:32 PM, said:

How dare you mess with me reveling in all my Glory.

#10 0Life

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:28 AM

View PostGaussDragon, on 27 January 2013 - 08:32 PM, said:

It can be seen that way, though it can also be seen as someone trying to raise awareness.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users