Consoles? Read Before Flaming Please.

34 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you play an MWO like game on a console if one was made? (51 member(s) have cast votes)

Well? Would you?

1. Of course! It's big stompy robots! (4 votes [7.84%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.84%

2. Yes (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Probably (2 votes [3.92%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.92%

4. I'd at least try it. (9 votes [17.65%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.65%

5. Probably not (2 votes [3.92%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.92%

6. No (27 votes [52.94%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 52.94%

7. And justify pandering to those lowlifes? Hell no! (7 votes [13.73%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.73%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Terran123rd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 442 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:39 AM

It's simple really. If someone made an MWO-like big stompy robots game, and released it on, say, XBLA, would you play it?

#2 Catamount

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:01 PM

Sure, as long as it didn't detract from development of real games, and didn't spur some awesome cross-port to the PC, I'd at least try it out.

If they went a step further and actually made a real game, and maybe even gave an attempt to make it a bit more sim-like and break the mold a lot of console games seem to be in, I'd endorse it even more (don't all gasp at once, there are, in fact, a few rare console games that aren't just cheap arcade shooters... you just have to go back to 16 bit to find them for the most part)

Edited by Catamount, 24 December 2012 - 12:01 PM.

#3 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:39 PM

No.

The most obvious reason is that I don't own an Xbox. :ph34r:

But even if I had, the dumbing down of controls, auto-aim and a community around and under my age would ruin the game for me.

Edited by Adridos, 24 December 2012 - 12:40 PM.

#4 KuraTheBoo

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:24 PM

Consoles don't have the hardware power to run MWO.
Without a GB of video ram, 4GB of system ram, and 4 processor cores, MWO will make even a PC cry.

Edited by KuraTheBoo, 24 December 2012 - 01:25 PM.

#5 ShotgunWillie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:48 PM

I'm not a console gamer. I bought a Wii when it first came out, cause I thought it was a neat idea. It still is a neat idea, just one that didn't have as many games worth playing as I thought it would. Before that, my last console was a 16-bit Sega Genesis, and before that, I had an Atari 2600 (well, my dad did, but I played it) and a TelStar (again, my dad's, but I played it some). I don't foresee any consoles coming out that will catch my interest, either.

Short version: I'm a PC Gamer.

#6 Mycrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:02 PM

Just got xbox to play games with interesting stories like red dead redemption or gears of war series

Story kept me playing even if the visuals were atrocious.

It has to be a very very good single player stompy robot story to keep me there...

#7 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 25 December 2012 - 08:05 AM

The only way it could work to draw in the PC gamer community, the console game would have to not be the arcade-style game that Mech@$$lut was. You just cannot make a PC-style game that works on a console with just a gamepad. Well, maybe, but it would probably not be too complex or rich an environment. Besides, I think the PC games require a thinking man's brain to play well. Just because you twitch faster (consoles) does not mean you make a better PC gamer

Edited by Gremlich Johns, 25 December 2012 - 08:05 AM.

#8 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 25 December 2012 - 08:17 AM

View PostGremlich Johns, on 25 December 2012 - 08:05 AM, said:

Besides, I think the PC games require a thinking man's brain to play well. Just because you twitch faster (consoles) does not mean you make a better PC gamer

Actually, both brain (strategy games, logic games, adventures, etc.) and brawn, or "twitch" (Tribes, UT, Quake 3, CS, SC2, DotA,...) are actually stationed on the PC. Just pointing this out, so you don't discriminate part of our own community. :(

#9 Bagheera

• 3,920 posts
  • LocationStrong and Pretty

Posted 25 December 2012 - 08:34 AM

I might try it if it. But I really need a mouse/kybd for anything that involves aiming and shooting. I wouldn't want auto-aim in a MW title (ala GTA series or something), and I just don't aim well enough with a controller for playing against human opponents. :(

#10 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 08:35 AM

I wouldn't play because I do not own any console besides my old and still working Milton Bradley Vectrex.

Edited by Egomane, 25 December 2012 - 08:36 AM.

#11 Aegis Kleais

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 08:46 AM

No. Simply because I don't play on consoles; I never will; they are always big on gamepads, and I simply hate gamepads.

There's other reasons why MWO wouldn't do well in a console-centric market, especially if you look at buying habits and customer expectations. Hawken and MechAssault are more than likely along the lines of what would work better on that platform, and neither are Mechwarrior.

#12 DerMaulwurf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 599 posts
  • LocationPotato Tier

Posted 25 December 2012 - 09:27 AM

The only console I own is a Super Nintendo.

#13 SouthernRex

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 374 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:44 PM

View PostKuraTheBoo, on 24 December 2012 - 01:24 PM, said:

Consoles don't have the hardware power to run MWO.
Without a GB of video ram, 4GB of system ram, and 4 processor cores, MWO will make even a PC cry.

This is false on multiple levels. Consoles operate fundementally different from PCs. Ports are made to optimize hardware, and console games are coded from scratch to operate on the hardware. It is a totally different scenario from developing for PCs (where you are trying to code for a "moving target" so to speak.) Crysis 2 is on consoles. Does it look as good as it does on PC, or run as fast? Of course not. But before making such general statements, you should do a little research.

By the way, I'm a PC guy. I stopped caring about consoles after Dreamcast died, but still.

#14 Terran123rd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 442 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:15 PM

Le Bump.

#15 Atlai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,439 posts
  • Locationfrom the East of the South end of the North

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:21 PM

View PostAdridos, on 24 December 2012 - 12:39 PM, said:

But even if I had, the dumbing down of controls, auto-aim and a community around and under my age would ruin the game for me.

I recently played CoD the other day and i wish i didnt, i couldn't hit a thing due to auto aim and all these kids were screeching my ears off telling me about quick scopes and 420 and hacking(apparently hacking is making a custom game and changing the settings to make you run fast :/ )

As for OT :

I would definitely try it just to try it(I liked Chrome Hounds) but it probably wouldn't take the place of MW:O.

#16 Glanitos Griffon

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:48 PM

As a programmer and an avid gamer, fps's SHOULD NOT be on consoles PERIOD.

Now a third person platformer/action, mech rpg (Front Mission anyone), or 2d fighter game sure...

FPS on consoles exist only for the ignorants of society (Mainly children, fratboys, and druggies). None of which I'd really want to play a multiplayer game with due to the fact the game will have to be nerfed to meet there ad&d levels...

I fear MWO might be headed that way anyway.

#17 Tex Arcana

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationStark Industries: Sector 16.

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:59 PM

Consoles suck.
/thread.

#18 Terran123rd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 442 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:15 PM

Consoles are awesome.
/thread.

*puts on asbestos clothes*

#19 Elder Thorn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,422 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:55 PM

i am still playing on my SNES, just played Secret of Mana with my cousin about an hour ago.

But i think there are games that are better played on a PC, but it's really just personal tase. For example Metal Gear on PC would be lame, even with better controls.
Most racing games on PC suck (yes, NFS Shift and Undercover too, sorry PGI) - even though in that case good games could be made, look at pCars for example.
Gran Tourismo was a great game, if the AI Drivers would have been a bit better i would probably still play GT2 at least 1 or 2 hours per week.

But shooters, and so called simulators - i like those more on PC.

So OP... no, i wouldn't, but not because i hate consoles - (i begin to hate them though, because Dust still isn't announced for PC, even if Hilmar made some hints a long time ago :D - but that hate is because if me being a jealous of it)

View PostGlanitos Griffon, on 28 December 2012 - 03:48 PM, said:

Now a third person platformer/action, mech rpg (Front Mission anyone), or 2d fighter game sure...

Super Turrican - golden times :D (was a mech / robot game in germany, because - hell i don't even know... shooting humans were bad, hmkay - even Command and Conquer... the soldiers were turned into Cyborgs for the german market)

Edited by Elder Thorn, 29 December 2012 - 09:58 PM.

#20 Barbaric Soul

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:33 AM

I have too much money wrapped up in my computer to bother with a console that is 6-7 years outdated.

No, I do not own a PS3 or Xbox 360. I did buy a Xbox 360 within the first year of thier release, and sold it within 3 months of buying it because of not using it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users