Best Assault Mech?

52 replies to this topic

#21 slayerkdm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 395 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:57 AM

I cant speak to any but the Victor. After playing since CB, I finally got an assault. It has been on a tear, I really play it just like a big medium, and its been great in that role.

#22 Name140704

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:07 AM

View PostMoeror, on 26 January 2013 - 11:09 AM, said:

I am considering buying an assault mech, what would you think would be a good purchase?

A good purchase is a Victor or Highlander

#23 DONTOR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:07 AM

Victor or highlander because they are the most well rounded assults so far.

#24 Frank Frankie Frankenstein

• Pip
  • The Scarecrow
  • The Scarecrow
  • 10 posts
  • LocationIn the lab, creating mechanical abominations.

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:00 AM

I would say the battle master because no one has yet to get a kill on one of those ********

But seriously, all assaults are "the best" with their own unique play styles. Seeing as I have only fielded the atlas I cannot say how you are to play the other mechs, and from my experiences the atlas is a highly adaptable and dangerous platform that can suit all flavors of combat(except for speed and maneuverability).

I generally run my atlas like a scout, move aside lights! Let the real recon mech take point! :)

#25 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:35 AM

Wow, I wonder if the guy who started this thread in January still needs advise on which Assault to buy?

#26 Autobot9000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:54 PM

Highlander 733C is the best assault at the moment, when "best" means best allrounder. But I don't mean allrounder in a pejorative way, by allrounder I mean he is the best in (assault) class variant and can only be topped in niches. That's how I see it.

#27 SethAbercromby

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:24 AM

I think the Stalker 5S and 3F (basically the same 'Mech with only one AMS) is one of the best all-range fire support 'Mechs in the game. The XL engine is loved by many, hated by most but I personally like it on the 5S but you'd need a XL 300 to really make it shine.

STK-5S 2xLRM10, 2xSRM6, 2xER Large Laser, 4xMedium Laser, 2xAMS, XL 300, DHS
XL build. Can run 60 kph, and fairly heat efficient. The ERs are up to personal taste but they run cool enough to be viable. Has almost fully maxed armor.

STK-5S 2xLRM10, 2xSRM6, 2xER Large Laser, 4xMedium Laser, 2xAMS, STD 250, DHS
Same Stalker with an STD engine. Not as fast and carries less than stock armor to reach the same number of heat sinks.

STK-3F 2xLRM10, 2xSRM6, 2xER Large Laser, 4xMedium Laser, AMS, STD 255, DHS
Carries a bit more armor than the STD 5S build and the same number of heat sinks. Least expensive build by a huge factor (The STD 5S costs about 50% more and the XL costs almost twice as much).

Edited by SethAbercromby, 26 September 2013 - 09:13 AM.

#28 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:50 AM

View PostSethAbercromby, on 26 September 2013 - 03:24 AM, said:

STK-3F 2xLRM10, 2xSRM6, 2x ER Large Laser, 4xMedium Laser, AMS, STD 255, DHS
Carries a bit more armor than the STD 5S build and same number of heat sinks. Least expensive build by a huge factor (The STD 5S costs about 50% more and the XL costs almost twice as much).

I prefer my STK-3F to yours. 4 ML, 2 LL, 2 LRM10, 2 SSRM2, and a standard 300. It's got more armor than yours, and it's faster and more heat efficient. The only thing you lose is the added punch of the SRM6, but the SSRMs are better for anti-light support, and still hit for some good damage. You can swap the LLs for ERLLs. but I prefer the better heat in this mech.

But it's all about playstyle, nothing wrong with your build either.

#29 SethAbercromby

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:19 AM

I never believed you could properly fit Endo on a Stalker, thanks for proving me wrong. SSRMs are more efficient for fighting off lights but I prefer using a salvo of 12 SRMs for priority targets. A well timed salvo from short range will also be pretty difficult to evade even for a light 'Mech. But then again, we Assaults are not exactly intended to fight lights in the first place.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...dcb6c126f77a597
This would be my version with Endo steel improvement. Unfortunately I had to remove 2 Heat Sinks to keep the rest of my loadout the way it is. ERs would definitely be out of question then but it's still efficient enough to not run into immediate problems once fighting gets a little more hectic.

EDIT:
Holy {Scrap} I have just noticed that the mechlab link for the STD engine 5S points to an earlier design that I had in mind first but then did some vast improvements on. I was sure to have updated the link before posting.

EDIT EDIT: Somehow, I or the Posting system (probably I) managed to update this post into my previous. Welp, gotta rewrite the whole thing. Fixed.

Edited by SethAbercromby, 26 September 2013 - 09:14 AM.

#30 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:52 AM

Yes, with larger mechs, an engine upgrade can provide added space as much as speed, so it's worth considering upgrading the engine IF you use Endo. Untill they fix SRM hit detection, I'm a little weary of using them, but that's a personal preference.

I also like my Endo STK-5S long range harassment build. It so far has proven to be one of my most effecitve mechs.

#31 SethAbercromby

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:44 AM

Looks interesting. I like to harass enemies with my ERs and LRMs during the early stages of the fights as well but being able to dish out damage at close range has saved me multiple times by now, especially the quad Medium Lasers. I am currently running my STD 5S variant (because I still didn't feel like grinding 5 million C-Bills for a single engine) and it works like a charm. I'm very likely going to purchase the 3F next. First in my original loadout, and then upgrade it to the Endo variant later.

I didn't really watch my SRM damage as most comes from my medium lasers with the occasional shot from my SRMs to soften up the front armor a bit. I'll try to keep an eye on that though.

#32 Kiluj

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 88 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 01:25 AM

This one:
Posted Image

#33 The Unknown Pilot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 06 October 2013 - 01:55 PM

My Victor......I'll never regret picking this chassis:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...dce8c99b654a624

#34 Plaguetongue

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 130 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 03:10 AM

Stalker f3 then ya can tear apart anything :(

#35 Tahribator

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:31 AM

My bests:

Best meatshield: Atlas
Best brawler: Highlander/Victor (JJ's, arm mounted weapons ftw)
Best long-ranger: Stalker
Best "undying son of a *****": Stalker
Best cheeser: Stalker (sadly can't cheese anymore, Heat Scale killed this cheese star)
Best "why is this thing even in this game": Awesome
Best cockpit: Awesome (widescreen view so you can enjoy your death better)
Best "noob trap": Atlas ("Holy **** I'll get this big boy and wreck this game!" promptly runs off alone and gets focused)
Best looks: Highlander, hands down.

Incidentally I have 350k XP in AWS-9M and 200k in 8Q so we can infer that I'm a *********.(Seriously this word is censored?!)

Though seriously, get a Highlander/Victor and have fun brawling. Just mind the gargantuan CT in HGN.

Edited by Tahribator, 09 October 2013 - 04:34 AM.

#36 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 09 October 2013 - 05:49 AM

Highlander-733C, no question about it, best assault mech right now.

3 things determine what assault mech is the best. JJ's are a must because jump sniping is king, being able to field whatever the "meta" loadout is, and how durable the hitboxes are as well as it's potential for shielding. The strongest loadout right now is 2 PPC's and 2 UAC5's. The 733C mounts them all on the same side, so the opposite arm can be stripped for tonnage and that whole half of the mech becomes a shield. JJ capability completes the package.

That is purely from a min/max perspective though.

All assault mechs have their merits and can compete in the right hands. (except Awesomes, they are terrible.)

#37 Jalik

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 199 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 09 October 2013 - 05:56 AM

View PostWaddeHaddeDudeda, on 26 January 2013 - 11:14 AM, said:

If you love to snipe go for:

1) Atlas RS (quad ppc + gauss)
2) Stalker 3F (hex ppc)

If you prefer to brawl go for:

1) Atlas DDC (2 ml, 1 ac 20, 3 artemis srm 6)
2) Stalker 5M (5 ml, 5 artemis srm 6)

Everything else would work too but would be sub-optimal.

It always really depends on playstyle. An often-repeated statement but true.
I used a similar Stalker 5M for example. It worked really well to a certain point. Then I felt I was stagnating in my performance until I completely revamped the loadout. Now, I'm much happier with it.

Like the first response said: there is no "best" assault.

#38 Plaguetongue

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 130 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:29 AM

this is the best assault mech

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...df6945c5beb285c

you walk into a spot behind something, turn off your mech and wait... when the enemy passing turn on your mech and BANG! 95 alpha dmg into his back :( then turn off your mech again and take a chillpill and wait for the heatzinks to work until next enemy appears <_<

#39 Plaguetongue

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 130 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 07:17 AM

i think im getting to tired now...

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...bf4ac13678a7140

#40 Alianton

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 105 posts